Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

Tools    

Does it seem like the Star Destroyers seem like in a dream flash or does it seem like there not in real space and the Star Destroyers are waiting in like a massive space jump deal.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
3 years old but what the heck

Lord knows as a young man in this day and age i'm obligated to see it with some friends opening weekend because screw it we'd just be playing video games anyways.
That being said, the only hype i feel for this movie is for the memes so far, Last Jedi killed any interest in this trilogy and then JJ Abrams and his interviews/trailers so far have rented a bulldozer to push another 5 tons of dirt on top of the grave of hope. C'mon, a hype reel trailer of old movie footage?

Welcome to the human race...
Meanwhile, I'm not expecting it to live up to Last Jedi. Go figure.

A system of cells interlinked
Interesting take on Star Wars in general by a couple of well-spoken chaps. Not trolly, which is nice, for a change. I tend to agree with a lot of what they say.

You ready? You look ready.
Wait, they're still making these crap fests? Hmm, I suppose I should crawl out from under my rock every now and then.

This looks worse than an unflushed toilet at a truck stop.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

Yeah, I can't believe they're still making them either. They really gotta get over it.

Oh, you meant actual Star Wars movies instead of YouTube videos about how Star Wars is bad now.

Yeah, I can't believe they're still making them either. They really gotta get over it.

Oh, you meant actual Star Wars movies instead of YouTube videos about how Star Wars is bad now.

We can't all be old enough to have seen the original trilogy during their initial theatrical runs and thus experience The Pure Uncorrupted Magic Of Star Wars™ in a way that younger generations will apparently never be able to, I guess.

I myself was Born in 78 and only knew the VHS editions Until the new special edition sets. The theater films for me was the Prequels which had no issues with them other then Anakin seemed so un Vader like. Force Awakens and Rogue One and Solo are not bad films. Only Last Jedi is the weaker. You ask some people the world was ending when episode 2 was released and after Episode 1. Rock Bottum is Haydens acting in Episode 2. No new Disney Film has made my stomach turn when Vader came from that actor. Episode 7 and 8 dont make me hate whats going on. So I see no issues.

Born 84, huge fan through the 90s, read all the key EU stuff. Stopped reading 2000 ish. Prequels were obv a huge letdown, Force Awakens breathed new life in, Rogue One was fairly good but pointless, Last Jedi destroyed all the goodwill of Awakens and then some, I found Solo unwatchable after 20 mins. No anticipation for Ep 9

We can't all be old enough to have seen the original trilogy during their initial theatrical runs and thus experience The Pure Uncorrupted Magic Of Star Wars™ in a way that younger generations will apparently never be able to, I guess.

I don't think that is the point. Another generation of kids was enchanted by the prequels, even if people like me weren't. These latest films have failed to do that, which, when considering Disney's blatant attempts at targeting this younger demographic, should raise questions about their approach. Then again, that's the whole problem, isn't it. When their main focus is marketing and audience analysis, instead of world and character building, things tend to go badly.

Born 84, huge fan through the 90s, read all the key EU stuff. Stopped reading 2000 ish. Prequels were obv a huge letdown, Force Awakens breathed new life in, Rogue One was fairly good but pointless, Last Jedi destroyed all the goodwill of Awakens and then some, I found Solo unwatchable after 20 mins. No anticipation for Ep 9
I was just curious after reading the LOTR if you did how you embraced the LOTR films and then how did you compare the Hobbit films to the LOTR films. I think people have short memories on how much people hated the prequels and claimed loved Force Awakens. Last Jedi wasnt even my top 6 Star Wars films. But think its silly people wanted Old Luke to bring down Star Destroyers and take on thousands with a light saber.
Rey was created to new fans and female girls started by Ahsoka where a girl can be a jedi. Im not against that concept becaue Lucas has been weeving in strong female characters for years.

Star Wars real test is coming up with not an Ending in 9 but what Comes next of the silver screen. My Guess is Kevin Feige and likely Jon Favrou will be asked to figure that out.

I watched LOTR movies first, loved 1 and 2, felt 3 had problems but still good. Read the books after loved them.

The Hobbit movies are simply awful, utterly lazy to do so much on a green screen. Read the book once don't remember a great deal, kids book really.

Funnily enough I watched LOTR a few months ago for what feels like first time in a decade, I felt everything was so rushed, pacing too fast etc. I guess GOT has spoiled us, I now want 20 hours and several years of character development before major things happen.

I don't think that is the point. Another generation of kids was enchanted by the prequels, even if people like me weren't. These latest films have failed to do that, which, when considering Disney's blatant attempts at targeting this younger demographic, should raise questions about their approach. Then again, that's the whole problem, isn't it. When their main focus is marketing and audience analysis, instead of world and character building, things tend to go badly.
Fair point, albeit one that I don't think is made particularly well by that video. The arguments by both guys are "kids won't like the new ones for the same reasons I don't" or "my own kid got bored of it", neither of which I'm too inclined to take as signs that this latest iteration of Star Wars has totally failed to wow an entire generation for reasons that even they have to concede go far beyond the question of whether or not Star Wars is still good (and more to do with how it holds up inside an oversaturated pop-culture landscape full of stuff that takes its own cues from Star Wars anyway). In any case, I think its overall impact these days is currently too hard to measure one way or the other and that you'd probably need the same kind of distance from the prequel trilogy to really see what difference it makes to the next generation - as much as they can be called vacuous cash-cows or whatever (which I'll concede up to a point), we just have to wait and see what the final result will be.

The more I think about this whole situation the more I think they were in an impossible situation. There's no reason for the movies to exist unless the story evolves and changes, and there was no way to do that without annoying a lot of people with a huge emotional investment (wisely or not) in the story. It could've been done better or worse, but I don't think it was ever going to be "clean." It was always either going to feel too bold and inventive (IE: too different to "feel" like Star Wars), or too predictable to be worthwhile, to a significant number of people.

Short version: just make some new stuff. Or, if you're gonna try some new stuff within this world (which I'm totally for), don't try to link it to the preceding films so much, and people might be more receptive to the new direction.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Yeah, every generation has their changing standards and expectations for anything, so it's a given that that is a variable we can't really measure. Probably. I don't think it's fair of me to fault another generation for not appreciating one older trilogy the way I did or for loving another when I did not. I was born in '76 so I only watched Empire in the theater, but even then I was too young to remember anything of it except for thinking the usher's cone flashlight was a light saber. And I wanted it. That trilogy inspired me creatively. Star Wars is the reason I love science fiction and fantasy. That story flipped a switch. I cannot expect the same from my nephew. It was a different world to grow up in.

That said, I still find more objective measures fair game to judge a movie on, over emotional impact. I think Sedai's link highlights one point very well: there isn't much of a hero to look up to anymore. Comparing Luke to Rey is not at all about gender (to me, and I feel to many others leveling criticism against Rey). Let's be clear, it's the character as written that I did not like and not who the character was. So with that out of the way, the video comments on the lack of any type of hero's growth. There is no risk. There is no failure. There is no self-reflection triggered by failure inducing character growth (though I suppose one could argue the scene with Rey confronting her reflection was that, but that would be a stretch). There is no development, no challenge that the character must face, fail, and eventually learn to overcome through some type of struggle. No, in this case all struggle has been external, through other characters while our hero is just ... made hero by existing. To me character development then is a very distant second to marketing and the potential profit in just using the Star Wars legacy as a medium, regardless of what is created.

Had Luke just "existed" with the abilities to do whatever was necessary to be the hero, without honest character growth, then I would not have liked that story either. That is boring and provides me nothing to look up to and think, "Wow! If [character] found a way to overcome [character]'s insurmountable obstacles through pain, realization, learning, and growth, then maybe I can learn to be better at [thing I suck at] and overcome MY challenges too!"

I mean, that's the heart of story telling, no?

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

Fair points all, and the above post illustrates a lot of the stuff I was about to respond with in regards to the comments in the video about the Heroic journey (something Lucas has put a lot of time into studying) and how characters like Rey are just sort of out-of-the-box archetypes that come off as flimsy and one-dimensional. Any depth that was ascribed to these character sin The Force Awakens, and I do think some depth was there at that point, or at least some fun chemistry, was roundly trashed in TLJ.

We have already gone round and round on that film though, and don't think we need to beat that particular dead horse anymore. Some of us liked it, some didn't. Let's leave it at that.