Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Howl's Moving Castle (2004) - 4.5/10. Visually brilliant. Just didn't like the movie. I am all for fantasy, but this was a bit over the top for me. The main backdrop of the story (the war), just didn't understand who's fighting who. And the motive. Maybe that was shown when I was making a drink? Zoned out in so many places.

Their Finest (Lone Scherfig, 2016)

More a Ronseal movie really - nothing remarkable but well enough made and for the most part quite enjoyable

Almost Famous

"What a long, dull trip it's been" should've been the afterword. The story basically goes wherever the boy goes, and everywhere he goes is the same...a crowded gathering. There isn't much variation for a movie of this length. The film is wholly focused on the characters, though they're not memorable or interesting enough to warrant my attention or care. Their conversations are trite and mundane. There's the protagonist, the boy (Patrick Fugit). He's a newbie rock journalist trying to get a story. But he's 15-yrs-old. Apparently he can just leave school and hit the road on a bus tour with some band. I guess truancy didn't exist then. This adventurous idea was suggested by his new groupie friend (Kate Hudson), who's pretty much a drifting character. Anyhow...I don't think there's anything wrong with the boy. He's honest, humble, patient, kind-faced...which is why he doesn't fit into that scene, and why I find the character an annoyance. He's like the little brother you had to drag along with you on a date in high school—a third wheel—or the young sibling at someone's house party. You just want to tell him to go hang out with kids his own age. Maybe when he's a bit older and more forthright, he can stick around. A journalist is supposed to be assertive, even a budding one, if he or she wants to succeed that is.

The kid's mother is annoying too in a hyperbolic way. She calls her son almost every day to make sure he's not doing drugs. Even a narc officer isn't that persistent.

What I don't like most of all about this movie is that characters are stereotypical and dialogue is contrived, as if based on what someone thought the era was like. (I know it's supposedly a true story from the director's life, but maybe he wanted to conventionalize it for the screen) Let's also not forget the soundtrack, repleted with the usual collection of songs from the time. I cringed when they sang "Tiny Dancer" on the bus. Nauseating. Lester Bangs was right, rock music was already dead by then.
i remember watching this movie at a very young age. i didn't like it either. it was a drag
the mother was annoying as hell, but that's what frances mcdormand can do perfectly
i loved the philip seymour hoffman character, loved it. is was very, very interesting,
the type of guy the music industry needs, he cares about the music and just the music,
i fond the stooges because of that scene: iggy pop amen. isn't too early for that? not for me

lester bangs: the doors? jim morrison? he's a drunken buffoon posing as a poet. give me the guess who. they got the courage to be drunken buffoons, which makes them poetic.

The King's Speech (2010)

+

Up until I joined the forum I wouldn't have ever given this a chance, and if I did I would say it sucked. I liked it just fine as it turned out. The production and performances are exceptional. My wife has always been interested in royal family stuff so she liked it even more. It's just very forgettable and for that it's a sham that it won best picture. I'll take a flawed movie that stays in my head any day over something like this.

The King's Speech (2010)

+

Up until I joined the forum I wouldn't have ever given this a chance, and if I did I would say it sucked. I liked it just fine as it turned out. The production and performances are exceptional. My wife has always been interested in royal family stuff so she liked it even more. It's just very forgettable and for that it's a sham that it won best picture. I'll take a flawed movie that stays in my head any day over something like this.

Also hindsight being 20/20

Inception (Christopher Nolan)
Black Swan (Darren Aronofsky)
Social Network (David Fincher)

The Fighter (David O. Russell)

I don't think if they were given their oscars we would have ended up with this 10 years later

TAXI DRIVER.

What a bore. It was awful.

You're Next (2011)

You're next (2011)

Pretty decent black comedy.

I don't know if we needed so many character scenes sometimes a victim can just be a victim you don't need to add extra level of pathos to them. Dragged Across the Concrete is a step back from Brawl in Cell Block 99 but still it was enough to put the director on my watch list.

John Wick 3: Parabellum (2019)

Very silly and just a bit dull. Repetitive and disappointing.

Boldly going.
Stripes.
7/10.
I bet 95% of the jokes in this movie were improvised.
It's like Police Academy, but in the army.
The marching is classic. I was curious as to whether real people imitated this scene, so I looked on YouTube and sure enough...