Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

'The Dead don't die' (2019)

Dir.: Jim Jarmusch

Not quite sure why the reviews and ratings of this are so low. Is it because they expected Bill Murray to do 1 hour and 45 minutes of one liners? It's typical Jarmusch aloofness and he does it well. He's great at nailing down the character traits early on. Adam Driver is especially good with his dry, matter of fact, nonchalant dialogue.

I found it pretty hilarious in parts. There are clear nods to Trump, climate change and materialistic throwaway culture and there are lots of tributes to films and directors. Iggy Pop's character is called Samuel M Fuller, and the motel owner was called Perkins!

It is oddly meta in places and there isn't a strong ending, but it's worth a watch.

6.8/10

Night on Earth 1991

Five separate stories of five cab drivers shot on location in
Los Angeles, New York, Paris, Rome and Helsinki, all on the same night.
Well done, small indie film by Jim Jarmusch,
I thought the L.A. and Paris stories were the best ones.

i can't say how much i loved this film, i can't
one of my all time jarmusch favorites, the favorite maybe
i loved new york one, was beyond hilarious and entertaining
one of my favorite scenes of all time was in the new york segment,
helmut puts the clown nose and yoyo says right and he goes left,
then we see brooklin and helmut looks scared and removes the nose
that scene is the most unique and wonderful example of transformation
from pure joy and a state of glad for have laughed with the character
to pure genuine sadness for seeing him lose that laughter and be scared
is like a child we never want to see cry, and be scared, we can't stand it
because they remind us of what we should all be or strive to be
the french one is also very funny and immensely interesting
i'd love the los angeles segment if i had saw this movie years earlier,
because was exactly the same chooses i made with other opportunities i had

i can't say how much i loved this film, i can't
one of my all time jarmusch favorites, the favorite maybe
i loved new york one, was beyond hilarious and entertaining
one of my favorite scenes of all time was in the new york segment,
helmut puts the clown nose and yoyo says right and he goes left,
then we see brooklin and helmut looks scared and removes the nose
that scene is the most unique and wonderful example of transformation
from pure joy and a state of glad for have laughed with the character
to pure genuine sadness for seeing him lose that laughter and be scared
is like a child we never want to see cry, and be scared, we can't stand it
because they remind us of what we should all be or strive to be
the french one is also very funny and immensely interesting
i'd love the los angeles segment if i had saw this movie years earlier,
because was exactly the same chooses i made with other opportunities i had
I can certainly see why you like it so much, they're all beautiful human stories. Also had a Los Angeles story type opportunity in my life but in hindsight I chose wrong haha.
The way you feel about this one, I have with Jarmusch's Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai.

I can certainly see why you like it so much, they're all beautiful human stories. Also had a Los Angeles story type opportunity in my life but in hindsight I chose wrong haha.
The way you feel about this one, I have with Jarmusch's Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai.
yes, i give value to human stories
they don't have to have a lesson, just show nature
there interests, there fears, there ambitions or lack of them
ghost dog was a movie i anticipated my liking a lot
i was hoping to be something i'd be blown away
it did not. maybe because i didn't had a relation
if i think about the character it's something i fight against
i'm not saying the movie is bad, because it's not
but, what's about ghost dog you liked so much?

yes, i give value to human stories
they don't have to have a lesson, just show nature
there interests, there fears, there ambitions or lack of them
ghost dog was a movie i anticipated my liking a lot
i was hoping to be something i'd be blown away
it did not. maybe because i didn't had a relation
if i think about character it's something i fight against
i'm not saying the movie is bad, because it's not
but what's about ghost dog you liked so much?
The cool, calm and collective-ness of Whitaker's performance and character, the music, the ancient Japanese proverbs, poetry, the originality. And the mixture of cultures; A black American operating in an Italian-American atmosphere, living by Asian wisdom and standards.

Ms .45 (Abel Ferrara, 1981)
+
Decent enough lead performance but she doesn't even look twenty-one let alone forty-five

The Wind (Victor Sjöström, 1928)
+
Nice but didn't blow me away and the ending can be gust from miles away

Broken Blossoms (1919)

Surprisingly effective!...This one is heady with heartfelt emotions of despair with a dashing ray of hope illuminating the decaying urban streets. Our forlorn heroine is Lucy (Lillian Gish) a young girl born of a prostitute mother. The only person in her life is her father (Donald Crisp) a brutish boxing champ full of rage. He likes nothing more than brutally beating his daughter with a horse whip. He's one of the most vilest bad guys I've seen on film. He gave me the creeps...and my heart went out to poor little Lucy. Lucy's one chance in life is when she meets the 'yellow man', a Chinese immigrant (Richard Barthelmess) who falls for this frail flower.

The film is told as a fable and does so very effectively. It's interesting that there's a secondary theme of religion and trying to convert 'heathens' in foreign lands. There's also a unique for it's time positive view on Buddhism. We also see scenes of Chinese culture. The lead is played by a white actor, but, this was a cutting edge film in it's day as it showed interracial love on the big screen.

The movie ends as strong as it starts and stays true to it's fabled style of story telling. A must see.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Q5roH.jpg
Views:	429
Size:	26.5 KB
ID:	57109  

Documentary about a dysfunctional family in New York State. Usual low white trash drug addiction, drug dealing, multiple births, etc., etc. Depressing cycle.

What a slime Harvey Weinstein is. Using his fame & muscle power (literally) to coerce women into having sexual relations with him. A bully through & through.

Re-watch of a good movie. Amazing how the pioneers struck out for the west & the dangers they endured to reach their destination.

The Guarantee (Ian Power, 2014)

About as well organised as the Irish banking debacle it tries to chronicle

Le Camion (1977) by Marguerite Duras

My fourth film by Duras was a rather underwhelming experience with imo a bit provocative elitist setting. I am not sure i can recommend it to other than fans of Duras.

Almost Famous

"What a long, dull trip it's been" should've been the afterword. The story basically goes wherever the boy goes, and everywhere he goes is the same...a crowded gathering. There isn't much variation for a movie of this length. The film is wholly focused on the characters, though they're not memorable or interesting enough to warrant my attention or care. Their conversations are trite and mundane. There's the protagonist, the boy (Patrick Fugit). He's a newbie rock journalist trying to get a story. But he's 15-yrs-old. Apparently he can just leave school and hit the road on a bus tour with some band. I guess truancy didn't exist then. This adventurous idea was suggested by his new groupie friend (Kate Hudson), who's pretty much a drifting character. Anyhow...I don't think there's anything wrong with the boy. He's honest, humble, patient, kind-faced...which is why he doesn't fit into that scene, and why I find the character an annoyance. He's like the little brother you had to drag along with you on a date in high school—a third wheel—or the young sibling at someone's house party. You just want to tell him to go hang out with kids his own age. Maybe when he's a bit older and more forthright, he can stick around. A journalist is supposed to be assertive, even a budding one, if he or she wants to succeed that is.

The kid's mother is annoying too in a hyperbolic way. She calls her son almost every day to make sure he's not doing drugs. Even a narc officer isn't that persistent.

What I don't like most of all about this movie is that characters are stereotypical and dialogue is contrived, as if based on what someone thought the era was like. (I know it's supposedly a true story from the director's life, but maybe he wanted to conventionalize it for the screen) Let's also not forget the soundtrack, repleted with the usual collection of songs from the time. I cringed when they sang "Tiny Dancer" on the bus. Nauseating. Lester Bangs was right, rock music was already dead by then.

Snooze factor = Z

Snooze factor = Z

Snooze factor = Zzzz

^ Really disappointed as I adore the director's last film Duke of Burgundy.

Snooze factor = Z

[Snooze Factor Ratings]:
Z = didn't nod off at all
Zz = nearly nodded off but managed to stay alert
Zzz = nodded off and missed some of the film but went back to watch what I missed
Zzzz = nodded off and missed some of the film but went back to watch what I missed but nodded off again at the same point and therefore needed to go back a number of times before I got through it...
Zzzzz = nodded off and missed some or the rest of the film but was not interested enough to go back over it