The Top 10 'best looking movies' of all time

Tools    

The Hourglass Sanatorium – Possibly an influence of Gilliam and the like, albeit much more surreal.
Port of Shadows – Gloomy timeworn cine of 1930s France.
Brothers Quay movies – esp. their two features (The PianoTurner of Earthquakes & Institute Benjamenta).
Jiri Barta shorts – esp. The Last Theft.
Forbidden Planet – Campy geometric sci-fi. I love it.
Odd Man Out – Carol Reed’s The Third Man has more revered cinematography, but this is even better looking IMO.
Greenaway movies – esp. Cook, Thief, His Wife, and Her Lover, and Prospero’s Books. They’re filmed like fanciful oversized stage productions.
Enter the Void

This thread feels incomplete without Tarkovsky and post-Tarkovsky stuff. Hazy, bleak, quasi-apocalyptic:
Stalker and Nostalghia are my favorites from Tarkovsky himself.
Also, too many to name from Konstantin Lopushanskiy, Piotr Szulkin, Aleksandr Sokurov, and early von Trier. Glowy, dark, and delirious with Tarkovsky's footprint.

This thread feels incomplete without Tarkovsky and post-Tarkovsky stuff. Hazy, bleak, quasi-apocalyptic:
Stalker and Nostalghia are my favorites from Tarkovsky himself.
Also, too many to name from Konstantin Lopushanskiy, Piotr Szulkin, Aleksandr Sokurov, and early von Trier. Glowy, dark, and delirious with Tarkovsky's footprint.

Not to undervalue his black and white 60's work though, personally I think Andrei Rublev is the best looking film ever made and Ivan's Childhood is amazingly well realised for a debut film as well. The complex compositions he comes up with that evolve with the camera work are very hard to beat.

Frantisek Vlacil around the same kind as well acts as a kind of dark mirror to Tarkovsky with Marketa Lazarova and Valley of the Bees.

Frantisek Vlacil around the same kind as well acts as a kind of dark mirror to Tarkovsky with Marketa Lazarova and Valley of the Bees.
I wasn't familiar with Vlacil, but I'm on these now. Thanks!

I wasn't familiar with Vlacil, but I'm on these now. Thanks!
The former especially is deliberately disconcerting and confusing but I do think its not far off the quality of Andrei Rublev, taking the same kind of setting but shifting it towards wild dark paganism.

If you want visual feasts these three are must sees, especially if you can see them theatrically. Baraka is my favorite.

Baraka (1992)

Koyaanisqatsi (1982)

Powaqqatsi (1988)
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

If you want visual feasts these three are must sees, especially if you can see them theatrically. Baraka is my favorite.

Baraka (1992)

Koyaanisqatsi (1982)

Powaqqatsi (1988)
Samsara too.

Brazil.
The Adventures of Baron Munchausen.
The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus.
Lawrence of Arabia.
Bondarchuk's War and Peace.
The Lord of the Rings.
Melancholia.
Night Watch/Day Watch.

I re-watched 'Apocalypse Now' last night in 4k. Absolutely stunning

I would recommend The Conformist as well with the same cinematographer Vittorio Storaro, that film had quite a strong influence on both The Godfather and Apoc Now IMHO.

I would recommend The Conformist as well with the same cinematographer Vittorio Storaro, that film had quite a strong influence on both The Godfather and Apoc Now IMHO.
I've yet to see this one - thanks for reminding me to watch it.

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
Black Rain (1989), The Fall (2006) and The Crow (1994).

PS. I forgot The Fall. That movie alone makes me want to purchase a 4K T.V..

These films stayed with me visually after i had watched them.

The Lost City of Z
Coraline
Spiderman Into the Spiderverse
Pans Labyrinth
Gold Rush

I am the Watcher in the Night
i usually watch heat just to look at the scenery and they way Micheal Mann shows us Los angeles, to me the feel of this film is the same as To live and Die in LA, same kind of scenery
Great comparison and I am not sure why I never saw that before. I always enjoy movies where the city is as much a character as the humans and these are great examples!

"I need your clothes, your boots and your motorcycle"

Maybe Thief / Manhunter / Heat / Miami Vice'06 and Collateral combined also deserve a spot in my top ten.

we share the same taste and opinion about movies my friend, Plus one to you