Rate the last Book you read

Tools    

Good book.

I really liked a lot of the stories. There was one that I knew already from reading another book. A lot of the Nordic folklore tend to be passed from country to country so that's no surprise. A lot of troll stories.

They are very similar to the common fairytales we know of, aspects of Beauty and the Beast, Cinderella, Rapunzel and East of the Sun, West of the Moon.

A lot of the towns mentioned in the book are real Icelandic towns.

Tröllaskagi (below), I'm sure you can tell where it got its name....

I'm on to my next one.. after Nordic countries.. on to Lithuania and Latvia Folklore.

Sounds good. The Folk-Stories of Iceland is one of my favourite books; incidentally it also contains quotes from Max von Sydow's father, who was an ethnologist . Plenty of troll action too as you can imagine. I remember the theory being that all stories started in India and then spread out across the world, changing and adapting as they went.

Good book. Linn Ullmann reminisces about her über-famous parents, Ingmar Bergman & Liv Ullmann.
Unquiet – not a word you hear often . Mark Gatiss' The Unquiet Dead is the last time I remember seeing it used. I'm a fan of Liv Ullmann so this intrigues me.

Should have returned this for a refund, but plugged on to the end. A very dull hagiography.

Really terrific dystopian novel that I could not stop reading. Would make a terrific movie too.

The Lesser Dead by Christopher Buehlman

Pretty good modern vampire book. It may not be as fresh and innovative as some reviews make it but most importantly it's entertaining. Will need to check author's other books as well. A solid 4/5 from me.

Welcome to the human race...
A Scanner Darkly by Philip K. Dick -

Saw the movie a long time ago and seem to recall liking it so I thought I'd actually give the book a shot (and also try giving Dick in general another shot after reading Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep? way back in high school). Definitely a swift read that doesn't skip on complex concepts but moves at a pulpy pace and does a good job of reflecting its characters' drug-addled headspaces without becoming too incomprehensible as a result. I'm definitely due to give the film a re-watch.

Used to read a lot of this author. Am going to re-read some of her novels. Enjoyed this one.

Amusing memoir of a forger. The movie of the same name was better.

Excellent debut novel.