Mindhunter

Tools    

The Adventure Starts Here!
@Sedai ... I had NOT put those two things together. I know he panicked and reached for the jammed paper so the other guy wouldn't see it. I missed what it was, exactly.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Pretty interesting clip, Joao. I especially like the last segment showing them removing accessibility ramps onto the sidewalks. I don't think these became regulated until the 1990's Americans with Disabilities Act. So those would not have existed during the time this took place. Nice details. Too bad about Austruck's Post-it notes and white marker boards

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

Re: Carr's sexual orientation, I think it ties well enough into the story for perspective on their evolving definition of deviant behaviors. Much of season one highlights how the FBI defines deviancy in language and actions. Ford grows, somewhat, from the uptight agent man-boy through his mental and sexual relationships with his girlfriend, confronting what he is willing to accept for himself while still holding some level of judgment on others. There was a scene that placed a point on this when his girlfriend "dressed up" for him, reminding him of his earlier encounter with Ed's obsessions. Clearly he drew a connection there and felt uncomfortable.

I think Carr's sexuality plays off of that too at least for the audience. What defines deviant behavior of the time? To what degrees of deviance are acceptable (Ford editing the FBI list of deviant terms early in the season and the older instructor pushing back on the idea)? Where are the edges of gray to better define what's expected to be black or white? Is Carr's sexuality a bias in a strict FBI profile development of that time? Does that affect her similarly to the ways that Ford questions his own attractions? Does being attracted to his girlfriend's footwear mean that he is turning toward a path leading to Ed-like behaviour? Where does Carr fit into this considering she is helping to define these deviant tendencies that suggest their profiles' psychological development? She even used her personal relationship with her previous director to "relate" to the criminal during an interview. He responded, so clearly it was partly meant to show that there are some shared behaviours between the two. Or at least shared acknowledgment of the behaviours and how they might be interpreted.

Compare all this to the sexual and moral standards of Bill and Greg, rounding out the team, and you have an interesting dynamic for us to measure in how each personality responds to these investigations and how they might question their own behaviours and what's socially acceptable. We see Bill with his wife, in bed, but never any shared sexual or emotional interactions. And Greg!? I'm sure if he ever married there would be two matching twin beds in the master bedroom for how uptight he is!

Re: Carr's sexual orientation, I think it ties well enough into the story for perspective on their evolving definition of deviant behaviors.

Well reasoned opinon, ynwtf. But you may be reading too much into it. In my view this was just raw SJ revisionism to placate modern Hollywood fashionableness, and lock-step PC reviewers..

Re: Carr's sexual orientation, I think it ties well enough into the story for perspective on their evolving definition of deviant behaviors.

Well reasoned opinon, ynwtf. But you may be reading too much into it. In my view this was just raw SJ revisionism to placate modern Hollywood fashionableness, and lock-step PC reviewers..
Very possible. For me I think the question might have come up in a writers' round table where they might have realized that the side stories of Bill's and Carr's relationships were just too similar, both in heterosexual relationships. My guess is that someone tossed the idea of her being homosexual to open a door to other relationship dynamics that stood apart from the other primary characters. At that point it may have been supported by the arguments and tiered relationships between the three (four if you count loser tattletale Greg [the tattletale loser] Smith) noted earlier to help create more dynamic side plots. I'm sure someone also probably added the selling point that it might appeal to a specific viewer as a bonus.

Totally possible

Very possible. For me I think the question might have come up in a writers' round table where they might have realized that the side stories of Bill's and Carr's relationships were just too similar, both in heterosexual relationships. My guess is that someone tossed the idea of her being homosexual to open a door to other relationship dynamics that stood apart from the other primary characters. At that point it may have been supported by the arguments and tiered relationships between the three (four if you count loser tattletale Greg [the tattletale loser] Smith) noted earlier to help create more dynamic side plots. I'm sure someone also probably added the selling point that it might appeal to a specific viewer as a bonus.

Totally possible
You might be right. No way to know. But did you notice that, in contrast to the actual facts, NONE of the relationships worked? Neither Tench's nor Carr's; and Ford doesn't even have one. I suppose that's to increase the dramatic possibilities, but otherwise it doesn't say much for relationships. Rather 21st Century, don't you think?..

Everybody I know is talking about this show so I just watched the pilot...it wasn't exactly what I had been led to believe, but fascinating nevertheless...real change of pace for Jonathan Groff...I'm curious to see where this goes.

Everybody I know is talking about this show so I just watched the pilot...it wasn't exactly what I had been led to believe, but fascinating nevertheless...real change of pace for Jonathan Groff...I'm curious to see where this goes.
The pilot is rough, to say the least. I stuck with it for lack of anything else to do and I've really enjoy its development. Hope you continue.

The Adventure Starts Here!
The pilot is rough, to say the least. I stuck with it for lack of anything else to do and I've really enjoy its development. Hope you continue.
Funny, I had no trouble slipping into this show and found it riveting almost from the beginning. (Maybe it was the 1970s clothing.)

I probably mentioned early on that part of my reason for starting it in the first place was that a friend of mine plays that woman hostage in the opening scene of the very first episode.

That's pretty neat. I thought ep2 was way better than ep1 and I'm glad i stuck with it. Finally finished season 2 the other night. I'm also hoping for a season three as s2 felt like a strong setup.

Just started over on this and noticed how soft the score is in ep1 compared to how anxiety-inducing it was by the second half of season 2. Great background growth. Also Ford stained his cuff after returning home from the opening scene. I remember that from season 2. I wonder if it's a symbolic motif that I missed. How many other episodes show his stained cuff?

Ha. The first conversation between Ford and Debbie immediately shows how conservative he is. She asked if he's going to book her, he playfully responds maybe, she then smirks and asked, "handcuffs?" He was speechless. Follow that with her introduction of Durkheim's Theory of Deviancy and this completely sets up the internal conflicts of each of our main agent characters. This first EP keeps laying the foundation of coming conflicts so directly! Totally missed it the first time.

I take back any negativity I projected earlier onto this first episode.

See, now I realize I have to rewatch the whole show.
Yeah. I feel the writing was quite methodical and deliberate going in rather than reacting moving forward. I'm catching things that just had to have been placed deliberately. Almost like clues to a case by some nut criminal mind.

Just began season 2...not happy with the way they just skipped over Holden's breakdown and showed him strapped to a hospital bed...it would have been nice to see exactly what predicated the attack and why strapping him to the bed was necessary. Loving Michael Cerveris as the new boss. And is something going to happen between Tench and Wendy? There was a definite sexual tension between them in ep 1.

Just watched the scene where they met Charles Manson...absolutely brilliant...loved the way Holden stood up as Manson was being brought in, as if he were royalty or something.