Golden Age Comedy Hall of Fame (1952-1976)

Tools    

Too bad you didn’t like it, Citizen. What do you like more about Young Frankenstein? I suppose it is a little more subtle comedy.
There's a vast difference. Gene Wilder wrote Young Frankenstein. His style of comic writing is more subtle than Mel Brooks' broad in-your-face style...and it's Mel Brooks who wrote Blazing Saddles.

There's one scene in Young Frankenstein that Wilder and Brooks fought over, the dancing musical number with the monster. Mel Brooks wrote that one scene and Wilder really hated it and fought to keep it out of the movie, but Brooks was the producer so it made it in. Not surprising I found the dancing monster scene to be the one inane scene in the entire movie.

Too bad you didn’t like it, Citizen. What do you like more about Young Frankenstein? I suppose it is a little more subtle comedy.
There's a vast difference. Gene Wilder wrote Young Frankenstein. His style of comic writing is more subtle than Mel Brooks' broad in-your-face style...and it's Mel Brooks who wrote Blazing Saddles.

There's one scene in Young Frankenstein that Wilder and Brooks fought over, the dancing musical number with the monster. Mel Brooks wrote that one scene and Wilder really hated it and fought to keep it out of the movie, but Brooks was the producer so it made it in. Not surprising I found the dancing monster scene to be the one inane scene in the entire movie.
Yeah, I suppose Young Frankenstein is more “intelligent” comedy, along the lines of a Woody Allen film almost. But for pure laughs, I’d still prefer Blazing Saddlez

The Odd Couple

I think people often miss out on the purpose of Neil Simon's The Odd Couple. The film was originally conceived of as a play in a number of ways it's meant to be viewed as a one room story with entrances and exits it's also meant to cover themes and ideas of the world...because that is after-all what the best plays are...reflections of the human condition.

Felix Ungar and Oscar Madison play a pair of 50's guys divorced and removed from the times. The film opens with Felix walking around New York in the late 60's the sexual revolution has happened and Felix doesn't belong in this world...he changes his mind of-course because for all of Felix's pretensions he is still at the heart of the story a survivor. Oscar on the other hand is a different type of survivor he's wallowing in the bachelor life while his old friends all deal with the trials and tribulations of middle aged married life. He chases skirts, wallows in filth and can't pay his child support.

The humor of the story really comes from Matthau the reprobate of the pair. Early on he answers the phone to his ex wife...

"I know why you're calling the check is a little late"
"What do you mean the last four checks are late I happen to know I'm only three checks behind"
Matthau's one liners are gold

Oscar Madison: You can't spend the rest of your life crying. It annoys people in the movies.

Oscar Madison: Not in other words. Those are the perfect ones!

Oscar Madison: Look at this. You're the only man in the world with clenched hair.

Yeah, I suppose Young Frankenstein is more “intelligent” comedy, along the lines of a Woody Allen film almost. But for pure laughs, I’d still prefer Blazing Saddlez
That's cool...I've learned form these Comedy Hofs that there are many, many different types and styles of comedy and that people really respond differently to them. I did love Singin' in the Rain.

Stanley Dolan's Charade is very much a comedy, I suppose our sensibilities have changed over the years where comedies have to be farcical for them to work, and Charade is very much not a farce.

Charade is a romance, and a mystery and a thriller but it's all tied together with humor and the love of the English language.

The Rule of Three is also known as trebling, and usually when it applies to comedy, it is in relation to 3 stock characters, or instances. Where the first two have a small sense of normalcy in them, the third is completely stereotyped, as a result of which the outcome is absolutely hilarious. The comic triple multiplies the effect of humor in a speech.

Years later you would see this type of humor in something like the Naked Gun, but the third joke would have been more over the top in Charade it's the reaction from Hepburn that sells the joke. Its a subtly that you don't get to see much in film today's the slight joke the witticism.

To me this is my favorite Cary Grant film, he's older and more vulnerable at this point. You really get the world weariness in this performance, it's a story he could stop at any point and yet you always get a sense that the character is having fun and that was what we more important to him.

Hepburn is great in this, it's established fairly early in the film that she's a weird person. It seems like she's almost incapable of anger and that propels the story along. I think one of my favorite scenes is when Reggie wants Peter to come back to her room. Reggie shrugs her off and she decides to fake scream bloody murder to get him to run in. It's a joke that's earned, neither characters feels or acts stupidly or "wacky" so the joke lands.

And so many of the films best lines are turns of phrases

Dr. Strangelove (1964)

Such a prestigious film deserves a huge photo!..I love that war room set! And Kubrick shot it from so many different angles that it was hard deciding which photo I wanted to use. I almost just went with a photo of Tracy Reed, I mean who doesn't love a photo of a pretty girl in a bikini. Though it's funny that she's in General 'Bucks' (George C. Scott) bedroom at 3am and is laying in bed wearing high heels and a bikini. I guess General Buck likes em that way But what exactly was he doing in the bathroom when Brig.General Ripper calls? I guess we'll never know and that's what makes the movie so cleverly funny, it's all of these hidden comic situations that are so subtle that you have to think about them to get them. Like the scene where Keenan Wynn finds General Ripper shot dead in the bathroom...while shaving. While shaving? Ha, Did that have something to do with conserving precious bodily fluids?

Kubrick is undeniably one of the great directors. Most all of his movies show spectacularism, coupled with restraint...which then results in a beautiful crated film that never force feeds emotions onto us. I could go on and on about the sets and filming techniques that Kubrick employs, the word 'superb' is hardly adequate for the level that Kubrick takes his films to.

Kudos to the army base battle scene. I'm talking about the choice of a hand held (16mm?) camera that's used at near ground level to simulate actual war footage. The results is a noticeably grainy stock that looks like early Vietnam war documentary film. For Kubrick to do that back in 1964 was pure genius.

Kudos to the interior of the B-52 bombers. Hot damn, those cockpits and bomb controls looked real to me. Of course most of us have never seen the inside of a B-52 but I can image they'd look a lot like what we seen on the screen. The entire film is amazing in the visuals.

And a huge shout out to some very fine performances. Everyone seems to single out Sterling Harden as the war and fluid obsessed Brig Gen Ripper...and he owned that role too! But my favorite was Peter Sellers as the President and as Capt. Mandrake.

The other stand out for me (and every actor was good in this) is George C. Scott. Loved how the film started off with this crusty General who's more interested in his secretary than an important call from a superior officer, ha!

Oh, damn forgot to say how much I loved the opening title sequences with the B-52 refueling in air and that font, how cool was that!

And the end sequence with all the atomic blast, while that haunting song played, gosh that was so melancholy and such a good choice for the end of the world.

I could write a few thousand words on this movie But I'll wrap it up, I promise!.....Freakin amazing film This was my second watch. The first time was many years ago and I liked it then. This time around my opinion has climbed even higher. Who knows how high it could go with a third watch.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	a (2).jpg
Views:	484
Size:	117.3 KB
ID:	56914   Click image for larger version

Name:	a (3).jpg
Views:	483
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	56919   Click image for larger version

Name:	a.jpg
Views:	493
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	56920  

The Odd Couple

Although it pales in comparison to some of the nominated films in this HoF, I still really enjoy this film. The two leads have great chemistry, and it's fun to see their situations and conversations. I have some complaints, though, that the film lies so heavily on the two male leads. The two sisters (by far the best part of the movie) are the only people really in it other than them. They just bicker and complain and bicker and complain - it can sometimes get tiring to watch people argue for comedic effect all of the time. But it really was a bit of a charming film, not bad at all.

Singin in the Rain along with Charade proves Stanley Donen is the master of the genre breaker. It's kind of crazy that in two films one man managed to make an excellent mystery, romance, musical, dance, and comic films oh and did I fail to mention both films are freaking beautiful.

I don't know how a shot like this is so beautiful with just three colors but man do images like that just pop.

But what I feel distiquishes this film as an incredible comedy is the work of Jean Hagen.

Lina Lamont is such a powerhouse of a role, unlikable selfish stupid but also a consummate professional you believe her as a silent film star and then she opens up her mouth and you get that voice.

In a number of ways she's almost a tragic figure I don't know if today's films could even give us a character like that.

And then you move onto the other three leads, you can the watch the film through the eyes of each of the characters. Donald O'Connor could have easily just been a best friend yet in this film he's the guy with the ideas..think about that for the second the guy that drives the plot isn't Gene Kelly it's someone else. But then on top of that you get the journey storyline of the Hollywood dream from Debbie Reyonlds.

Oh and Gene Kelly is also in this, and even though doesn't really go on a journey, or drive the plot, or get the good laughs he just takes the spotlight.

It's just brilliant film

Singin in the Rain along with Charade proves Stanley Donen is the master of the genre breaker. It's kind of crazy that in two films one man managed to make an excellent mystery, romance, musical, dance, and comic films oh and did I fail to mention both films are freaking beautiful...
I'm glad to see so many people liking Singin' in the Rain. Usually when classic live action musicals are mentioned people do this or this...Which is a shame as some of the most wonderful films made are musicals. You're so right about Stanley Donen, the man was a genius. Just look at his IMDB page, he directed some of the greatest musicals made...and none musicals too.

On the Town 1949
Royal Wedding 1951
Seven Brides for Seven Brothers 1954
It's Always Fair Weather 1955
Funny Face 1957
The Pajama Game 1957
Damn Yankees 1958

This is what I wrote about Stanley Donen in my review of Charade.
Charade (1963)...Director/Producer Stanley Donen...now that's a name cinema fans should know. Before he became a director Donen was an accomplished choreographer working on top level musicals for over 10 years. That impeccable sense of rhythm and timing is a trait of great choreographers, and it translates into one very skilled director. Stanley Donen's Charade is near perfection. The film flows from act to act and scene to scene...

Murder By Death (1976)

Directed by Neil Simon, this is a “fun” film, it’s early enjoyment being the recognition and delight of famous fictional detectives being impresonated by well known actors:
Nick and Nora Charles (of Thin Man fame) as “Dick and Dora Charleston”, played by David Niven and Maggie Smith; Charlie Chan and No. 1 Son as “Sidney Wang” and “Willie”, played by Peter Sellers and Richard Narita; Hercule Poirot as “Milo Perrier”, played by James Coco; Sam Spade and Tess Skeffington as “Sam Diamond” and “Effie Perine”, played by Peter Falk and Eileen Brennan; Miss Marple (from Agatha Christie) as “Miss Marbles”, played by Elsa Lanchester; and Miss Marbles’ nurse “Miss Withers”, played by Estelle Winwood.

Other important characters are Truman Capote’s “Lionel Twain”, Alec Guinness’s blind butler “Jamessir Bensonmum”, and Nancy Walker’s deaf-mute cook “Yetta”.

A satirical send-up of famous Agatha Christie novels and films, especially
And Then There Were None, the story ups the ante by having the hapless invitees to a murder in a mansion be famous fictional detectives, and to have these personalities as comic characters, mostly portrayed in near Mel Brooks style. The humor ranges from sight gags, to sexual double entendres, to satirizations of the various detectives’ well known idiosyncracies.

After a humorous start, the gags slowed down a bit, but picked up for the 2nd and 3rd acts. The ending was a non-stop barrage of twists and surprises. Some of the jokes were groaners, but funny nonetheless. Capote's character Lionel Twain ("Lionel Train") had a house plaque: 22 Twain ("choo-choo train"). You get the idea. As Twain, it was surprising that Capote was given that large and important of a role. But he was at the peak of his popularity in 1976. He was internationally famous, and people were fascinated by his lifestyle.

Niven's Nick Charles and Sellers' Charlie Chan were standouts to me. Peter Falk had ridden hard his wildly popular
Columbo series persona. At the time I had personally had it up to here with the character due to overexposure, and unfortunately he pretty well used the Detective Columbo part to suprerimpose on top of Sam Diamond. Elsa Lanchester gave her patented ditzy portrayal, which is always enjoyable. She was already in her 70s here, but did a good job nevertheless. Alec Guinness was convincing as the blind butler, and Nancy Walker turned out to have the sleeper role.

40 years later, this type of tale and its characters are a little old-hat. But the film is definitely worth a watch if only to see some old pros at work.

~Doc

Some Like it Hot (1959)

Marilyn Monroe is smokin' hot in this...Tony Curtis & Jack Lemmon are riotously funny...the supporting cast is a hoot, and the shooting location exotic, but the real star of 1959's Some Like it Hot is Billy Wilder himself.

These days movie fans give a huge amount of credit to the director, but a movie is only as good as its script and if one thing is true of a Billy Wilder film, they have great scripts! Wilder's scripts often pushed the boundaries on social conventions, that's what makes his films so memorable.

Some Like it Hot
took 1950's audiences on an adult themed comic ride, while exploring male/female gender roles. It does this exploration coupled with a well though out story of 1929's Probation gangsters who rub out the competition in the infamous St Valentine's Day massacre. By combing different genres, Wilder is able to give a believably real motivation to our two cross dressing stars. His film goes much deeper than just a Milton Berle style shtick of a man in a dress...Wilder comes up with a real motivation for our two fellows to have to really live as women, so they can save their own lives! That makes a huge difference to the scope of how they act and interact, as women in the movie.

What struck me as very interesting was that Lemmon and Curtis don't hold back as female impersonators. One would expect a 1950's film to have them doing cheap gags, but the two for most of the film behave as if they were women, especially Lemmon. One of the film's funniest parts was towards the end when Lemmon has convinced himself that he's a girl (by repeating over and over) then has a hot date with veteran comic actor Joe E. Brown. The next day he/she is all giddy over the diamond bracelet and announces he/she will marry the millionaire. That prompts the line from Tony Curtis:
"You're a guy! And why would a guy want to marry a guy?"
Just the idea that Jack Lemmon living as a girl would marry Joe E. Brown must have ruffled more than a few feathers....Billy Wilder is really pushing the envelope by exploring different aspects of genderism here.

The film is fun without being overly silly, it flows without ever going astray. I loved the idea of using older actors from the 1930s to play the gangsters in this period piece film. We not only get George Raft but Joe E Brown, Pat O'Brien to name a few old timers...And then there's Marilyn in that Orry-Kelly gown, damn I though she was topless for a second! What a provocative dress! Even the back side stuns with a deep plunge right down to her assets!
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	a (2).jpg
Views:	332
Size:	16.2 KB
ID:	56993  

What's Up, Doc?

This is a hilarious movie rightfully recognized in two AFI Lists (Laughs and Passions), and it is a blast all the way through. Ryan O'Neill is great but Barbara Streisand steals the show as the goofy and fun Judy. Madeline Kahn is also quickly becoming one of my favorite comedic actors, even though she has small roles. In Blazing Saddles, Young Frankenstein, and this movie now, she shows that she is perfect at playing her "stupid smart" type of humor to perfection. While there are dull and unfunny moments in What's Up, Doc?, the chase scene is golden in the end is perfect too. A great comedy that may make it's way into my top 100 in future years.

Ballot sent. This may be may favorite HoF yet, only one film out of fourteen I wasn't a huge fan of! (Murder by Death)

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
These are some color still photos taken on the set of Some Like it Hot
LOOOVE the see-through heart!!

Women will be your undoing, Pépé

Young Frankenstein

Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: [Reading from his grandfathers' notebook] "As the minuteness of the parts formed a great hinderance to my speed, I resolved therefore to make a being of a gigantic stature."
[pause] Of course. That would simplify everything.
Inga: In other vords: his veins, his feet, his hands, his organs vould all have to be increased in size.
Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: Exactly.
Inga: He vould have an enormous schwanzstucker.
Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: That goes without saying.
Inga: Voof.
Igor: He's going to be very popular.

I find it ideal to have these two films of Mel Brooks that showcase the strong differences of the two individuals who co-wrote these films: Richard Pryor in Blazing Saddles and Gene Wilder in this, Young Frankenstein. It's also kind of amusing that Pryor and Wilder would later pair up to play several films together. To further examine this we would have to bring in something like History of World Part I to show Mel all on his own. And with it being in '81, who knows, perhaps the next HoF may have it slated.
With Blazing Saddles, the comedy is of a courser nature that is quite blunt in its presentation, and with Young Frankenstein, the wit is done with reverence to older screwball comedies with a little more preparation in the delivery of said comedy.
An excellent example of this is after stealing the corpse, "Fronkensteen" and I-gor is stopped by a night patrolman and Wilder uses the Creature's extended hand as his own.

A clever bit of comedy that Wilder would re-use and expand upon with a different set of limbs in Haunted Honeymoon.

I love both films and, in the end, it will be tricky to decide which gets the placement over the other.
Brooks is extremely good at bringing out the comedic cleverness of his actors and it is showcased in this one, with, on the ladies side of things,
the beutiful Terri Garr,

as always, bringing a delicious creepiness to her role, Cloris Leachman

and my favorite of the three, Madeline Kahn

All of which do amazing jobs, and are equaled by the gentlemen here,

Peter Boyle bringing comedic life to The Creature,

the show-stealing Marty Feldman,

the calm collective that grows frantic, Gene Wilder,

and yet ANOTHER incredibly bizarre character played brilliantly over the top by Kenneth Mars.

Finally, my favorite cameo by Gene Hackman

All of which making a very memorable, very funny, easily quotable, and very entertaining parody to the old Frankenstein and Bride of Frankentsein films.

Young Frankenstein (1974)

I love the look and the feel of this film! The world building is so complete that one can feel the dampness in the old castle walls and smell Inga's scent of rosewater and freshly cut hay. I'm pretty sure Frau Blücher would carry a strong scent of moth balls into any room she passed through.

There were many neat nods to the film making of the early 1930s. Making Young Frankenstein a visual treat for the early cinema fan. Of course the most visible 30s retro look is Mel Brooks' decision to shoot in glorious black & white. I love black & white for a subject like this one. With all of the extraneous colors stripped out we're left with pure form, texture and shadows. That then fuels the imitation and the film becomes dream like. The hard contrasting lighting of the sets readily showed the texture of the old castle's bricks, and the frazzled hair of Dr Frankenstein after he has emerged from the act of creation. Black & White allows side and back lighting to work to greater effect...it's a big part of the film.

Another way Young Frankenstein gives a nod to the serials and matinee films of the 1930s was the scene transition wipes. The wipes come when one scene ends and another begins. There are all sorts of cool scene wipes used: diagonal wipes, shrink to a hole-then expand back to full screen wipes, rotating wipes. Very cool! and it shows how much care was put into this film to make it look like an authentic early 30s film. This is such a cool film!

Many of the same electronic lab equipment that was used in the original Frankenstein film was found and used for the above set inYoung Frankenstein.

Wow, does Gene Wilder deliver some of the most dramatic dialogue ever! The man is a master of diction. I wish we had a time machine and could send Gene Wilder back to play Dr. Frankenstein in the original 1930s movie. My gawd, can you image how much more powerful that film had been with Gene Wilder belting out He's alive!

And how about Marty Feldman, he has to be one of the most memorable character actors to grace the screen as Eyegur. With stellar performances being turned by Madeline Kahn and Cloris Leachman too.

And let's not forget the adorably cute, Terri Garr, who's alone worth the price of admission. Terri has some of the funniest lines in the movie. But what I really like in the writing is that all the cast members get a chance to show their stuff and have their moment in the spotlight.