Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Flesh And The Devil (Clarence Brown, 1926)

A tale of jewellery and duellery, and boy! was that Garbo some piece of ass work

This movie is stupid and predictable and most of the acting is dreadful, but Tom Hanks is so freaking funny in this movie he makes it worth a look if you've never seen it.

Hula (Victor Fleming)

Certainly won't go down as one of the greats but it's not aloha rubbish either

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (Quentin Tarantino, 2019)

My review - http://screen-hopping.co.uk/film-rev...-in-hollywood/

Get Shorty (Barry Sonnenfeld, 1995)

Very cool film, flies by at a non-stop pace. John Travolta and Gene Hackman are great. But there is pretty much nothing in terms of interesting direction, I just kept thinking, "what if Quentin Tarantino directed this?".

Fascinating HBO documentary from 2015. Tragic & fentanyl wasn’t even around much at that time. Much worse now.

Terrific movie. Really enjoyed it.

Dunkirk (Christopher Nolan, 2017)
+
War really can be a beach at times

RockNRolla (2008) - 6.5/10. Not quite the same like other Guy Ritchie movies. Still has it's moments. Liked it, but not "enjoyed" it.

Burning (2018) - 9/10

This film blew me away on a handful of fronts. I think Lee did a great job at effectively conveying the emotions of the characters. This was conveyed by a number of stylistic strategies such as the camera placement, the set design, and the acting. For instance, take Jong-su's jealousy of Ben in the first half. Several sequences featuring Jong-su remaining silent as Ben and Hae-mi continue to chat and get to know each other around him, his various glances and remarks at the two which effortlessly capture subtle, yet firm expressions of alienation and melancholy, and all kinds of visual details which demonstrate how Ben is everything which Jong-su isn't succeed in getting under your skin far better than any direct statement of his jealousy would've been able to accomplish. Around the halfway point though, Ben confesses something to Jong-su which sends the film in a whole new direction (a change which is telegraphed to us by an abrupt and completely silent scene). This direction adds a consistent layer of slow burning suspense to the film which characterizes the rest of it. Throughout this part of the film, many indications that something is up are given to us as it goes on. In addition, Lee also makes us second guess a couple other details brought up earlier in the film which we believed to be true. As much as we (and Jong-su for that matter) hope to receive a definitive answer though, Lee refuses to supply us with one. He chooses to leave us hanging with a shred of doubt that we wish to see satisfied throughout the second half. Since the film is told from the point of view of Jong-su though, we go along and side with him. Does he do the right thing at the end though? The shred of doubt we've had throughout is what makes the payoff so effective. Once the credits roll, you can't stop thinking about what you've just seen.

The Fighter (2010)

+

Strange it took me so long to see this when I knew I'd love it. I won't consider it a huge favorite because it's not as heavy as I thought it might have been. Great job capturing the characters and the time and place; unfortunately I know Lowell well enough. Excellent cast, especially Christian Bale who is as good as ever. Even Marky Mark was solid as he's not asked to stretch himself. Awesome soundtrack.

Stachka [strike] (Sergei M. Eisenstein, 1925)
+
Worked well enough for me, though personally I could have done without the climactic metaphor