No Man's Sky

Tools    

A system of cells interlinked
I was planning on setting up an indium mine, but I hadn't heard about the flowerpot thing. I was just going to do it on the legit method on perhaps a much smaller scale. Of course, I ended up getting sidetracked, and never even got started on that project! Oi!

I mined a bunch of Emeril on the green planet, which sold for a nice amount, and I figured indium would be better, as its rate of return on conversion seems to be the best when refining. Also sold a bunch of stacks of Ionised Cobalt, which made some decent cash, as well.

there's a frog in my snake oil
I was planning on setting up an indium mine, but I hadn't heard about the flowerpot thing. I was just going to do it on the legit method on perhaps a much smaller scale. Of course, I ended up getting sidetracked, and never even got started on that project! Oi!
Yeah it's bordering on the type of scuzzy exploit that I'd dodge in Minecraft, just because it looks wrong for the world. But I could see doing it using lights & railings or something instead (and probably losing all the energy & thrifty gains in the process )

EDIT: The subreddit is already onto it

Bonus fidelity option:

I ran my long run of cables under ground. I dug a hole strait down a few character heights with the smallest brush then used camera mode to run the cable to the bottom of that hole then connect to that line and drag to a hole on the other end. The lines will clip right through the terrain. I did the same thing on any time there was a significant change in the angle of the terrain that would cause the line to show. I then went back and filled all the holes in. Presto! underground cables.

Oh this is kinda cute. I wonder if you can see these behaviours in action?

So sometimes the procgen makes some neat things.

I'm currently settled on a planet called Val Paradiso. It's your standard paradise planet, no extreme weather, star bulbs etc.

It has exactly one predator species, this goofy looking ****:

Now, what's remarkable about that is that he comes with this procedural tag:

Why is that interesting? Because the most common herbivore on the planet is this guy:

Who has evolved lanterns on his back to ward off the only predator likely to try and eat him.

Uh...

Handjob of Vecna?

Do I even want to know?

Hey, that reminds me - NMS just randomly pulled my steam profile name as my character name. Any way to alter that?

Uh...

Handjob of Vecna?

Do I even want to know?
Definitely not... There's enough problems with unsolicited VR hugs as it is

---

Marvel instead at this person's cable-tidy routine...

A simple technique for hiding wires in a basic structure

Could see myself using that for a proper 'end game' base. (Wire frenzy is fine for survival outposts and the like though )

I still can't get two of my storage boxes to come online, even with direct cables running from a solar unit straight into them. I got around the issue by cloning all the storage units on my freighter.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
I still can't get two of my storage boxes to come online, even with direct cables running from a solar unit straight into them. I got around the issue by cloning all the storage units on my freighter.
Maybe their modems are down. Have you tried unplugging them for 5 minutes? Or it could be a case of cyber bullies. Maybe staying offline for a bit would be best for them. =\

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

Maybe their modems are down. Have you tried unplugging them for 5 minutes? Or it could be a case of cyber bullies. Maybe staying offline for a bit would be best for them. =\

The problem is that these two are the ones inside which I hide the bodies. Really starting to smell!

The current experimental branch looks like it has a performance focus...

Maintain forward progress on shader and material load for problematic CPUs.

Improved fallbacks for out of video memory in low memory situations.

Fix for rare instance of falling through space station when interacting with vendor.

Fix for crash when ship pilot being interacted is removed unexpectedly.

Improved alignment of video memory allocations.
Never know.

The current experimental branch looks like it has a performance focus...

Never know.
Yea, seems really inconsistent on my end as far as performance. Game was running fine for most of the night, but every now and then, the thing would just hitch and chug all over the place, then clear up a again a bit later. Still totally playable, but clearly needs work.

This seems to be the best list of voodoo fixes at the moment. VR leaning but some CPU tricks that are generic in there. The upcoming patch sounds kinda promising.

On the general side Intel CPUs seem to be struggling in particular at the mo, and it's generally considered a 'CPU bound' game due to the proc gen etc.

On the VR side it seems they started work years back and haven't caught up on more recent efficiency stuff. Like not rendering the 'invisible' nose section for each headset (which can save up to 15% on GPU load). So some gains out there for the taking hopefully

---

EDIT: As a bonus, here's a Liverpudlian gentleman getting very over-excited about his chair in PSVR

The whole chair thing probably won't come across, but it kinda shows the 'in the game' thing as he looks around the cockpit

Couldn't make any progress on my mining camp last night, as when I went to buy the Storage Tank blueprint, my ship fell through the landing pad on the Nexus, and I couldn't get out until I warped to another system entirely...

Couldn't make any progress on my mining camp last night, as when I went to buy the Storage Tank blueprint, my ship fell through the landing pad on the Nexus, and I couldn't get out until I warped to another system entirely...
Yeah the Nexus sounds like a minefield of bugs at the mo. Chipper types reckon the free suit upgrades (it doesn't charge the 10k in the shop apparently) make up for the sporadic credit wipes during ship trades tho

(Reckon my holiday fell at the right time )

The Adventure Starts Here!
EDIT: As a bonus, here's a Liverpudlian gentleman getting very over-excited about his chair in PSVR

The whole chair thing probably won't come across, but it kinda shows the 'in the game' thing as he looks around the cockpit
This made me laugh. I know that feeling, though, of getting into VR and being amazed and awed by every little thing. It's incredibly freaky. I keep telling Yoda the next time he comes to my house, he has to try out my Oculus Rift. He'll be hooked, I think.

This made me laugh. I know that feeling, though, of getting into VR and being amazed and awed by every little thing. It's incredibly freaky. I keep telling Yoda the next time he comes to my house, he has to try out my Oculus Rift. He'll be hooked, I think.
Ay and what's cool is, even though 'chair rapture' does recede over time, it's only demoted to a regular 'this is so cool' vibe . And it still sits there as part of the background stimuli that amp up the general experience. (It's really interesting seeing the effect on playstyle & amusement etc in games I'm really familiar with, like this, Minecraft, FO4 etc. Stuff that was otherwise done to death can become involving in a whole new way)

The whole cockpit presence (and interaction) continually reinforces that you're 'in the game'. 'Physically' opening your canopy grounds that feeling of arrival. Craning forward to peep over the dashboard at a location as you bank over it adds that extra exploration tingle

(There's a guy on the subreddit who's just flying around NPC ships as they travel. I could totally see myself getting lost doing that in VR for a bit... It's something about the lazy cadence of their flight and the simple fun of styling around and between them )

And PS yes I've noticed Yods taking note of VR winds for key games

Standard caveat on VR though to anyone else reading: It's kinda fuzzy-looking, can make you walk into real furniture, fall through unreal furniture, and buy excessive computer components...

---

In other news, someone got a basic Rocket League build going. And, um, it's early days

Could see bigger pitch being a fun scuffle though.

All hail Sean the Redeemed etc...

(Altho the guy who refunded loudly today over the lack of keybindings only got 12 hours of full righteousness :/)

"During the first week the focus has been on resolving critical issues as quickly as possible. We can now begin to include improvements to functionality, gameplay and performance (as well as continuing to resolve more rare critical issues)"

Good to hear (read) this!