Mortal Kombat Reboot (2021)

Tools    

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
I liked the original movie and didn't mind Annihilation as much as I thought I would, but I won't deny that this is a property that might benefit from an all-new movie. At least this time it might stand a chance of being rated R and feature all sorts of aesthetic upgrades.
A lot of fans when the first one came out I read, wanted it to be R rated as well. But isn't this a mistake though, since Mortal Kombat is aimed at an underage audience? Even when the first one came out, rating it R, wouldn't have done the fans a service, if they wouldn't be allowed to see it without a parent for example back then. Unless I'm wrong?

A lot of fans when the first one came out I read, wanted it to be R rated as well. But isn't this a mistake though, since Mortal Kombat is aimed at an underage audience? Even when the first one came out, rating it R, wouldn't have done the fans a service, if they wouldn't be allowed to see it without a parent for example back then. Unless I'm wrong?
kids of today know mortal kombat since the new ps4 games, so i guess this movie is aimed on the 90s era people

Welcome to the human race...
I don't think the Mortal Kombat games were ever aimed at younger audiences - they're far too violent for that (even though they are fairly juvenile in terms of how they treat violence). The movie toning down the games' violence just comes across as another example of a studio trying to make a more accessible (and profitable) movie, to say nothing of the assumption that only young people really care about videogames. But that was 24 years ago. Since then, Resident Evil became a six-movie franchise without toning down its violence, so it's always possible that an R-rated Mortal Kombat could become a hit.

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
But were a lot of people 17 and up, really buying the game though back then? I mean Resident Evil has a more complicated and perhaps sophisticated plot, for older minds, but MK is just players fighting each other and that's the whole game, so I thought therefore, it was aimed at teens more so. There was blood but it was cartoonish over the top though.

I don't think the Mortal Kombat games were ever aimed at younger audiences - they're far too violent for that (even though they are fairly juvenile in terms of how they treat violence). The movie toning down the games' violence just comes across as another example of a studio trying to make a more accessible (and profitable) movie, to say nothing of the assumption that only young people really care about videogames. But that was 24 years ago. Since then, Resident Evil became a six-movie franchise without toning down its violence, so it's always possible that an R-rated Mortal Kombat could become a hit.
i was 10 years old when i played mortal kombat 3 on the sega mega drive

I do consider the 1995 Mortal Kombat film a treasure of the 90s. If they want to make a new Mortal Kombat film, I do hope they do it R-rated. It has potential if they went on that path because they won't compromise the violence more focus on developing the plot. I just hope it won't turn as bad as other game-based movies like Warcraft.

But were a lot of people 17 and up, really buying the game though back then? I mean Resident Evil has a more complicated and perhaps sophisticated plot, for older minds, but MK is just players fighting each other and that's the whole game, so I thought therefore, it was aimed at teens more so. There was blood but it was cartoonish over the top though.
Obviously they did, how else did people under 17 get to play it?

But seriously, I think the game having a simple premise and sensational execution just makes it broadly appealing across a variety of demographics instead of meaning that it was deliberately aimed at younger audiences - and if the game as is was what appealed to players, then it stands to reason why so many of them (even the younger ones) would have a problem with the movie adaptation cutting out what might be the franchise's single most definitive feature.

"Honor is not in the Weapon. It is in the Man"
Don't expect a PG-13 rated one...this one will be R and it will have a familiar video game tactic added in...Fatalities!
https://screenrant.com/mortal-kombat...ed-fatalities/

Jessica McNamee is Sonya Blade and Josh Lawson will play Kano. Lewis Tan may join the cast in an unnamed leading role.
https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/...ya-blade-kano/

josh lawson as kano, smdh..

LOL I saw that too and I thought that, then I saw this and I'm like okay maybe...

That photo John-Connor posted is dated all the way back in 2011 according to IMDb so I'd take it with a grain of salt. That being said, Lawson is definitely not the first guy I would've picked for Kano. I posted in another thread how my ideal casting would be Jai Courtney (his character in Suicide Squad is basically Kano) and if they're going for lesser-known names then I'd be willing to settle for someone like Daniel Henshall from Snowtown who could bring that sense of heavy menace. I've seen Lawson in a few things now and nothing I've seen really suggests he's capable of bringing said menace (except maybe his turn as the villain of Anchorman 2) but I still hope it turns out alright.

LOL I saw that too and I thought that, then I saw this and I'm like okay maybe...
Still not very enthusiastic about the pick , let's hope the makers read this somehow and approach Iroquois suggestion, or find some extra funding to cast;
Pablo Schreiber

kids of today know mortal kombat since the new ps4 games, so i guess this movie is aimed on the 90s era people

I played the original game while on holiday, at an arcade when it was first released in 1992 when I was only 10 years old... and none of my friends at school believed my story about this super-violent game I'd been playing in a seaside arcade during the holidays, where you can rip spines out and set the other character on fire and stuff

The original game was one of the videogames that had the gaming industry re-evaluate age ratings on games. Doom and Duke Nukem being a couple others.

Mortal Kombat was aimed at the videogame audience rather than at actual kids, but, with a lot of things back in the early 90s, parents thought the videogame audience was kids.
So when MK came along, or other things like Doom or Duke Nukem, kids were all over it and wanted a copy, and parents just said "Of course little Johnny can have that game! It's a computer game, they're made for kids!"

Kinda like RoboCop and Terminator 2.
Rated 15-18 in the UK... yet, kids of all ages watched them and they released a toy line aimed directly at kids.
Aliens was the same. Toys, bedsheets, everything. For an 18 rated horror-action movie.

Mortal Kombat came under tons of pressure from the parents and the press, because of the bloody gore and violence.
What made Mortal Kombat stand out even more though with the violence, was that it was, for the time, photorealistic.
They used footage of actual actors for the on-screen sprites.

Ah, the good old days when 5 year olds could not just play and watch stuff like that because the parents didn't know any better... but they could readily access and purchase stuff like that over the counter because the shops also didn't know any better

Josh Lawson is Australian. He was born in Brisbane.
https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0493257/
I know that, this was more in response to the suggestion that Kano be played by a non-Australian like Pablo Schreiber.