Golden Age Comedy Hall of Fame (1952-1976)

Tools    

Charade (1963)

Director/Producer Stanley Donen...now that's a name cinema fans should know. Before he became a director Donen was an accomplished choreographer working on top level musicals for over 10 years. That impeccable sense of rhythm and timing is a trait of great choreographers, and it translates into one very skilled director.

Stanley Donen's Charade is near perfection. The film flows from act to act and scene to scene. Part of the perfection is the brilliant casting, topped off by one of the most charming actresses to grace the silver screen, Audrey Hepburn. One never gets a sense that she's acting as she's so natural and down to earth, that she seems like someone we might know in real life. There's an old saying about actors that's still true today, 'dying is easy, comedy is hard!' It takes a special talent to make comedy and romance come through the screen in a believable way. Audrey does that with so much ease that one forgets they're watching a movie.

Cary Grant had that easiness about him too. He's funny because he doesn't even try. It's his straight face delivery of funny lines that makes this and many of his other films classics. The few times he strays from that, tried and true straight comedy delivery, it doesn't work. The shower scene where he decides to take a shower in his suit, as he hams it up...is the only scene that didn't work for me.

For the rest of the cast, all I can say is what a good bunch of baddies! Is there anybody more brutish than George Kennedy or James Coburn, and along with the little guy in the glasses they make for a good counter balance to the effervescence of Audrey.

Charade came out of a unique time period at the height of the cold war and the Cuban Missile Crisis was in full swing during production. This cold war tension then launched a spree of spy thriller movies. Charade is one of the best of the bunch for it's effortless balancing of thriller-romance-drama-comedy elements all with wit and charm.
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Charade 1963.jpg
Views:	392
Size:	159.0 KB
ID:	56720  

Women will be your undoing, Pépé

A Shot in the Dark

Dreyfus: [answers phone] Commissioner Dreyfus... Ah, yes, my darling... I was just about to call you. I'm on my way. I've got the cheese and the beaujolais... What? [laughs] ... My love. Kiss the children for me, hmm?
[intercom buzzes]
Dreyfus: Hold on.
Dreyfus: [covers phone mouthpiece; answers intercom] Yes?
intercom: Your wife is on the other line.
Dreyfus: Tell her I'm out of town.

These opening lines is such a wonderful start to this film. Along with the outside view of the mansion and everyone going in and out of each other's rooms, sets the stage quite nicely.

Taken from the play 'L'idiote by Marcel Achard, Blake Edwards and William Peter Blatty makes it a vehicle for Peter Sellers, re-prising his role as Inspector Clouseau, the bumbling nit wit of the French Police and the utter pain in the @ss for his boss, Dreyfus.

With a few side bits that will move the larger story of Pink Panther movies to come, we watch and we laugh as Clouseau, out of attraction for Elke Sommer's character, who is suspected of murder (which, can you blame him?)

ignores the "facts" and, as more bodies pile up, continues to believe her innocent.

The Pink Panther movies are very well known for their physical comedy that borders on cartoon extremes and I have always been a fan of the series and continue to be. Even though I feel terrible that Sellers himself absolutely hated playing the role. Believing himself to be played as a buffoon and a clown.
Which I do sympathize completely with, but, my god, what an absolutely delightful and hilarious buffoon and clown he was in these films. Though A Shot in the Dark is more subtle than the films to come, it is nonetheless a joy to see him and Hercules "thinking through the facts" and the little running jokes, including his "fights" with his servant Cato, along with Dreyfus slowly losing his mind out of sheer hate for Clouseau's screw-ups, one after the other.
Also, a great little fourth wall breaking that I love is near the end as all the suspects of the mansion are arguing with one another, and Clouseau, having lost any and all control of the situation, looks directly at us in agitation.

It has been far too long since I've last seen this and was very, very happy to get this opportunity to see it again.

Divorce American Style (1967)

This may be one of the only films I didn't see when it came out, so I watched it last night. At least I tried to watch it. The film is not so much a comedy as it is a melodramatic satire.

After accepting that it's not going to be "funny" (there was barely a smile in the first hour), one can pay attention to the picture's positives, which chiefly are its
characters' acting. It was interesting to see Dick Van Dyke act in a largely serious role. He does a good job, and is almost believable; but after his large body of prior work as comedian/clown it takes a little suspension of familiarity to appreciate his work as a husband driven to divorce for serious reasons.

Debbie Reynolds, on the other hand, has done many different types of roles, and was more easily believable as a wife facing and seeking the then unfavorable topic of divorce.

In my view the movie could not have been made without the success of two previous popular and award winning films:
Divorce Italian Style (1961), and Who's Afraid of Virginia Wolf? (1966), both superior films. The former was much funnier, and the latter was more intense.

Presumably Norman Lear and Robert Kaufman wrote the screenplay in 1966, when divorce was still uncommon and slightly tawdry. Morality was still in the 1950s mindset, before the Hippie Generation took hold and degenerated everything. This film and others transitioned the act into the familiar public consciousness, to where there now may be more divorces than successful marriages.

Perhaps because of the then-contemporary
newness of the subject matter, the film was pretty well received. To my taste, I’d rather sit through a dental filling than watch this film again.

~Doc

UPDATE

Well I went through and logged the reviews...looks like some of you are going to be finished very soon.

Ahwell 4/14
Citizen_Rules 5/14
EdArsenal 4/14
Gbgoodies 8/14
Gideon58 8/14
Gulfport Doc 3/14
Siddon 0/14

2 weeks in 32/98 reviews are in

I'm going to agree with @GulfportDoc on this one...nothing worked in this hot mess. For starters I didn't find anything even remotely funny. The first 20 minutes of screaming between Dick Van Dyke and his neurotic flake of a wife Debbie Reynolds, was grating on my nerves! And remarkable all that screaming didn't tell me a damn thing about the problems in their marriage. Nor did it give me any insight into the then current trend of divorce. That's poor writing, as all we get is filler dialogue and all of it shouted too. I guess the surly house keeper with the cig butt hanging out of her mouth was suppose to be comic effect. Well how about making her an integral part of the household where she's the only one who can see the truth. Or just do something interesting with her.

After the screaming of the first act, did the film finally find it's footing? Nope, it continues on with scenes that take forever to get to the punchline. Prime example is the tedious kids-in-the-park scene with Tom Bosley. Within in the first 15 seconds I got the joke...the kids all belong to different past marriages and everyone is divorced or remarried again and again and again! The scene must have went on for 5 minutes until we get the one forgotten kid left standing alone in the park. Oh boy, that was a long ways for a little joke.

And what the heck was the tacked on hypnosis lounge act scene about? And could that scene be milked any more or be any more inane? Talk about lazy writing. You know a movie is bad when Lee Grant is the best thing in it

Attachments

Name:	a (1).jpg
Views:	378
Size:	200.5 KB
ID:	56748   Click image for larger version

Name:	a (2).jpg
Views:	386
Size:	148.8 KB
ID:	56750  

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
UPDATE

Well I went through and logged the reviews...looks like some of you are going to be finished very soon.

Ahwell 4/14
Citizen_Rules 5/14
EdArsenal 4/14
Gbgoodies 8/14
Gideon58 8/14
Gulfport Doc 3/14
Siddon 0/14

2 weeks in 32/98 reviews are in

@Siddon, If I counted right, I think I'm at 9/14. I think you missed my review of Charade (1963).

https://www.movieforums.com/communit...51#post2029351

I strongly disagree with the previous reviews of this movie. I like this movie a lot. This isn't the funniest movie, but it's a good light drama movie with some scattered laughs.

Dick Van Dyke (Richard) and Debbie Reynolds (Barbara) are a couple who argue, just like most couples do, but they still love each other. I love watching them when they're getting ready for bed, and they keep getting in each others ways. From their reactions towards each other when they see each other at the bank emptying their joint account and their safe deposit box, and even when they're in court fighting over money, it's always obvious that they love each other.

I love the whole idea that the other divorced couple, (played by Jason Robards and Jean Simmons), are trying to set up Barbara with another guy, so that they can fix their own problems by pairing everyone up. I love that even when it doesn't work out the way they planned, Jason Robards doesn't give up, and he immediately tries to fix up his ex-wife with Van Johnson.

When we see Richard and Barbara looking at each other when they're out with different people, you can just tell that they want to be with each other. The hypnosis scene drags on a little bit too long, but I think that was to show us how much Richard loves Barbara. Just look at the way he stares at her when she's on stage. The scene with the hypnosis is just the proof that deep down, they still love each other, and they belong together.

Hobson's Choice (1954)

I've always enjoyed British films with Charles Laughton zestfully playing colorful characters, set in the 19th century, England. I loved the way Hobson's Choice created this unique microcosm world and made it so believable. We don't see much of the countryside around Salford Lancashire. But what we do see gives the movie a feeling of wet cobblestone and dimly let shops, where people work long and hard for a living. Around the bend, so to speak, is the industrial center of the city boarded by the river Irwell.

Damn...that's a real river too and it's so heavily polluted that in the background you can see foam spray rising from the currents, like a dirty bubble bath. Behind the river are smoke stacks and heavy industry that pour their pollutants into the dead river. Wow, what a place for a pair of lovers to stroll too. Yes, the dirty river isn't what the film is about but the choice of shooting scenes through the entire movie set the emotions and feel of the film.

Laughton once again is literally larger than life and the film is made more special because of his presences. Only Laughton could be so overbearing in a film and yet still invoke the needed sympathy.

The drunken moon chaser scene is a gem. Probably that credit should go mostly to David Lean, though it's Laughton stomping in the puddles in the most humorous way imaginable.

My favorite though was Brenda de Banzie as Maggie the oldest daughter. She's a spinster at 30, according to the times. Her father doesn't want her to marry, so he can keep her as a built in shop keep, maid and cook. At first Maggie seems just stern. Then we see she's driven. Then we discover her cleverness as she marries the shop's boot maker played wonderful by John Mills. It's this marriage that allows the actress to show another unexpected emotion, pride and love for her new husband. It's that support and belief that rises the boot maker from a babbling nobody to a self made man with respect for himself.

John Mills, Brenda de Banzie and Charles Laughton make the story special. David Lean too. Wonderful movie.

Attachments

Name:	a.jpg
Views:	348
Size:	22.6 KB
ID:	56765  

The scene with the hypnosis is just the proof that deep down, they still love each other, and they belong together.
There would be no happy marriage to Debbie Reynolds

Hobson's Choice (1954)

I've always enjoyed British films with Charles Laughton zestfully playing colorful characters, set in the 19th century, England. I loved the way Hobson's Choice created this unique microcosm world and made it so believable. We don't see much of the countryside around Salford Lancashire. But what we do see gives the movie a feeling of wet cobblestone and dimly let shops, where people work long and hard for a living. Around the bend, so to speak, is the industrial center of the city boarded by the river Irwell.

Damn...that's a real river too and it's so heavily polluted that in the background you can see foam spray rising from the currents, like a dirty bubble bath. Behind the river are smoke stacks and heavy industry that pour their pollutants into the dead river. Wow, what a place for a pair of lovers to stroll too. Yes, the dirty river isn't what the film is about but the choice of shooting scenes through the entire movie set the emotions and feel of the film.

Laughton once again is literally larger than life and the film is made more special because of his presences. Only Laughton could be so overbearing in a film and yet still invoke the needed sympathy.

The drunken moon chaser scene is a gem. Probably that credit should go mostly to David Lean, though it's Laughton stomping in the puddles in the most humorous way imaginable.

My favorite though was Brenda de Banzie as Maggie the oldest daughter. She's a spinster at 30, according to the times. Her father doesn't want her to marry, so he can keep her as a built in shop keep, maid and cook. At first Maggie seems just stern. Then we see she's driven. Then we discover her cleverness as she marries the shop's boot maker played wonderful by John Mills. It's this marriage that allows the actress to show another unexpected emotion, pride and love for her new husband. It's that support and belief that rises the boot maker from a babbling nobody to a self made man with respect for himself.

John Mills, Brenda de Banzie and Charles Laughton make the story special. David Lean too. Wonderful movie.

I loved the drunken moon chaser scene too.

I strongly disagree with the previous reviews of this movie. I like this movie a lot. This isn't the funniest movie, but it's a good light drama movie with some scattered laughs.

Dick Van Dyke (Richard) and Debbie Reynolds (Barbara) are a couple who argue, just like most couples do, but they still love each other. I love watching them when they're getting ready for bed, and they keep getting in each others ways. From their reactions towards each other when they see each other at the bank emptying their joint account and their safe deposit box, and even when they're in court fighting over money, it's always obvious that they love each other.

I love the whole idea that the other divorced couple, (played by Jason Robards and Jean Simmons), are trying to set up Barbara with another guy, so that they can fix their own problems by pairing everyone up. I love that even when it doesn't work out the way they planned, Jason Robards doesn't give up, and he immediately tries to fix up his ex-wife with Van Johnson.

When we see Richard and Barbara looking at each other when they're out with different people, you can just tell that they want to be with each other. The hypnosis scene drags on a little bit too long, but I think that was to show us how much Richard loves Barbara. Just look at the way he stares at her when she's on stage. The scene with the hypnosis is just the proof that deep down, they still love each other, and they belong together.

Glad you enjoyed my nominee, GBG, it's one of my guilty pleasures.

I'm going to agree with @GulfportDoc on this one...nothing worked in this hot mess. For starters I didn't find anything even remotely funny. The first 20 minutes of screaming between Dick Van Dyke and his neurotic flake of a wife Debbie Reynolds, was grating on my nerves! And remarkable all that screaming didn't tell me a damn thing about the problems in their marriage. Nor did it give me any insight into the then current trend of divorce. That's poor writing, as all we get is filler dialogue and all of it shouted too. I guess the surly house keeper with the cig butt hanging out of her mouth was suppose to be comic effect. Well how about making her an integral part of the household where she's the only one who can see the truth. Or just do something interesting with her.

After the screaming of the first act, did the film finally find it's footing? Nope, it continues on with scenes that take forever to get to the punchline. Prime example is the tedious kids-in-the-park scene with Tom Bosley. Within in the first 15 seconds I got the joke...the kids all belong to different past marriages and everyone is divorced or remarried again and again and again! The scene must have went on for 5 minutes until we get the one forgotten kid left standing alone in the park. Oh boy, that was a long ways for a little joke.

And what the heck was the tacked on hypnosis lounge act scene about? And could that scene be milked any more or be any more inane? Talk about lazy writing. You know a movie is bad when Lee Grant is the best thing in it

OK, you didn't like the movie, Citizen, but why diss on Lee Grant?

OK, you didn't like the movie, Citizen, but why diss on Lee Grant?
Lee Grant is usually pretty stoic, think of her performance in Valley of the Dolls. So when she is the best character in the film it says something about the direction.

OMG, I LOVE Lee Grant. Have you ever seen her Oscar-winning performance in Shampoo? Or Detective Story? Or In the Heat of the Night or Voyage of the Damned?

OMG, I LOVE Lee Grant. Have you ever seen her Oscar-winning performance in Shampoo? Or Detective Story? Or In the Heat of the Night or Voyage of the Damned?
Nope I haven't seen any of those. I don't think she's a bad actress, btw. That's not really what I was going for, she had a small role and yet she was the best thing in the film to me. The mid 60s mod house was by far the one thing I did like in the movie. I actually paused the movie so I could study the interior. And you know what I seen? A HUGE stainless steel, double door refrigerator. Damn! I've not seen that before in a older movie. I didn't even think they used stainless steel on refrigerators until much more recently. I wonder if that was a model intended for restaurants?

Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (1964)

Once in every generation or so a film comes along that perfectly addresses the public’s mood, while simultaneously satirizing the bleakness of its subject matter. Dr. Strangelove is one of history’s finest examples of satirical black comedy at its highest level.

During the mid 1960s the country was in its height of the Cold War. The Bay of Pigs had occurred; President Kennedy and Soviet Premier Khrushchev had a major nuclear standoff; and finally the unthinkable JFK assassination-- all had combined to put the country on edge.
Dr. Stangelove was a welcome source of gallows humor to help let off a little steam from the pressure cooker. As one can see from the film’s accessory title --”How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb”-- people could honestly imagine and fear a nuclear conflict between the two superpowers.

Peter Sellers' variegated earlier body of work, including The Pink Panther, attracted director Stanley Kubrick to cast Sellers in three distinct roles, including the title character, the U.S. president, and a military Group Captain. The film gets most of its comedic heft from Sellers’ memorable portrayal of these three parts. Sellers’ sight gags, mannerisms, voice accents, and complete character inhabitation provide wonderful satire.

The supporting cast is
a dream, with first rate performances by Sterling Hayden, George C. Scott, and the venerable Slim Pickens. Reportedly Kubrick got an indelible performance from Scott by telling him to try a few sample takes in an over-the-top manner, but then used those takes in the film. Pickens was lead to believe that his was a serious role, learning only later that the film was a dark comedy.

Entire books can be written discussing Strangelove”, its background, all the people involved, and its significance; but suffice to say that this movie is not only a top comedy, but one of the best films of the 20th Century.

~Doc

Glad you enjoyed my nominee, GBG, it's one of my guilty pleasures.

I've seen Divorce American Style several times, and it's always been one of my favorite movies. I love Dick Van Dyke, but other than a couple of terrific musicals, he's chosen some very average movies. I think Divorce American Style is one of his better movies.