Dune (Denis Villeneuve, 2021)

Tools    

Javier Bardem is Stilgar, Zendaya is possible Chani.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...t-dune-1181942
It's attracting some good people, this. Not familiar with Zendaya but I'm hoping they pronounce the character's name 'Charni' as in the Lynch film and not "Chayni" as they did in the miniseries. I just think of Lon Chaney .

It occured to me when X-Men: Apocalypse was on this week that Oscar Isaac and Max von Sydow are – I think – the only actors who've been in both Dune and Star Wars. Of course Dune was a massive influence on Star Wars anyway, and I even remember the novelisation of The Empire Strikes Back reading like Frank Herbert at times.

Not familiar with Dune. But just read up on it a bit. Seems like an interesting idea/source material. And I trust the director to do it justice. But this sounds like it would be a better tv series then movie. Has a lot of ideas and characters apparently. Feels like a GOTs type deal. Feels like Showtime could have used this to answer GOTs. oh well.

101 Favorite Movies (2019)

Not familiar with Dune. But just read up on it a bit. Seems like an interesting idea/source material. And I trust the director to do it justice. But this sounds like it would be a better tv series then movie. Has a lot of ideas and characters apparently. Feels like a GOTs type deal. Feels like Showtime could have used this to answer GOTs. oh well.
There've been two TV miniseries, which covered the first three books. Very good – amazing, jawdropping sets that I couldn't believe I was watching.

There've been two TV miniseries, which covered the first three books. Very good – amazing, jawdropping sets that I couldn't believe I was watching.
Well again I am not familiar with the source material but a summary felt like GOTs type characters and story size. If that's the case Showtime dropped the ball. They should be looking for something sprawling, epic, rich story telling like GOTs.

But I have faith in Villeneuve. Specially after what he did with Blade Runner.

Well again I am not familiar with the source material but a summary felt like GOTs type characters and story size.If that's the case Showtime dropped the ball. They should be looking for something sprawling, epic, rich story telling like GOTs.

But I have faith in Villeneuve. Specially after what he did with Blade Runner.
I feel like Dune actually has less characters than Game of Thrones .

I was reading yesterday something about a character possibly being changed to a woman for this version. It makes absolutely no sense to do that so I was pretty irritated. I'm still wondering why quite pivotal roles like Feyd and the Emperor haven't had their actors announced yet.

I was reading yesterday something about a character possibly being changed to a woman for this version. It makes absolutely no sense to do that so I was pretty irritated. I'm still wondering why quite pivotal roles like Feyd and the Emperor haven't had their actors announced yet.
I hate that PC BS of changing male characters into female, especially when the film is based on a much beloved and famous novel. However I have no problem if they take existing female characters and pump up their on screen time. How about much more about story on Jessica and her connections to the Bene Gesserit. There's plenty of potential female characters in the Bene Gesserit order.

I hate that PC BS of changing male characters into female, especially when the film is based on a much beloved and famous novel. However I have no problem if they take existing female characters and pump up their on screen time. How about much more about story on Jessica and her connections to the Bene Gesserit. There's plenty of potential female characters in the Bene Gesserit order.
They are actually doing another production linked to the film, obviously connected to these characters, Dune: The Sisterhood.

Its Kynes isn't it? that doesn't seem to make much sense to me if..

WARNING: spoilers below
They keep her as a kind of informal ruler of the Fremen unless they change their society from being male dominated politically with the women dominating the spiritual. Could be I spose they remove that aspect and make the character a bit more of a basic giver of exposition.

As said I wouldn't mind seeing more of Jessica action wise but...

WARNING: spoilers below
Still have her keep her abilities a secret playing into the Bene Gesserit as a shadowy organisation. I mean that actually has a bit more substance to it if you want the film to have a feminist bent to it rather than just having a female asskicker character

New striking image

how to create a url for an image
New pic reveals oscar isaac and others

A system of cells interlinked
I caught some of the news on the new film this weekend, so I fired up the 1984 version, which I hadn't seen in a few years. I have both the original theatrical cut, as well as the Alan Smithee extended cut. I started watching thew extended, but about an hour in, I decided I just don't like that version very much. A ton of ham-fisted exposition, and a crap edit make watching this version kind of annoying.

Since I have read the book and I understand all the world building and backstory, all that extra exposition is just unnecessary. The theatrical cut, while flawed, absolutely nails the tone, and I like most of the character play. Some of the effects, while rough even in 1984, look pretty bad today, I still like Lynch's flawed film for what it is.

Even with the PC stuff starting to trickle out, I trust Denis Villeneuve to do a faithful adaptation of the book to the best of his ability. That said, I maintain that Dune is perhaps one of the hardest science fiction books to adapt to screen, due to its narrative and structural complexities. As for the cat, I like what I see so far.

My most anticipated movie in ages. I’m still probably not going to risk the theater going, though.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
I'd love to see the original on the big screen. I'd buy tickets for the next 10 folks in line just to join me.