Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Grandma's Boy (2006)

Thank you to whoever recommended this a few weeks back. My rating is probably too high for its quality but it's too low for how much I laughed. It's for fans of low brow juvenile comedy only. I hate to compare it to a masterpiece like Beerfest, but it's that type of humor. Small roles or cameos by David Spade, Jonah Hill, Rob Schneider, Doris Roberts, Shirley Jones, and Kevin Nealon.

The Cloud-Capped Star (Meghe Dhaka Tara) (1960) by Ritwik Ghatak

My first film by Ghatak, but definitely not the first Indian melodrama, sets the stage for a complex family drama. The Cloud-Capped Star relies heavily on feelings and the sentiment of the struggle of the poor. A rather bleak film with over the top aesthetic choices underlining the central circular narrative. It's use of diegetic and non-diegetic sounds seems at times both rather experimental and at times verging on the thin line between powerful and over the top. Together with Charulata (1964) by Satyajit Ray it may have one of the strongest endings of Indian film from the sixties. As with Ray, there seemingly seems to be aesthetic choices, which reminds you of Italian Neorealism and to some extent the nouvelle vague. In terms of the narrative, the film caught my interest in the second part (last hour), where the decline of the protagonist and the rise of her brothers, made a interesting reversal of roles, in a circular narrative.

Highly recommended if you are interested in social realists melodramas from India

+

'Light of my Life' (2019)

Dir.: Casey Affleck

Pure loved it. Right up my street. Affleck wrote, directed and starred in it.....and he's great. It's set in a dystopian world where a disease has wiped most of the females on earth out. So the father daughter bond is the main theme but also has ties to femininity and parenting struggles. And while Affleck's past will no doubt be mentioned given the subject matter, he does a really good job of putting us in the moment. Anna Pniowsky is fabulous as the 12 year old daughter 'Rag' - whose appearance was very 400 Blows like.

There are a few moments which perhaps were a bit unnecessary, and I'm not sure what Elisabeth Moss really brought to the table. But overall it is one of the best of 2019 so far.

For my money, the second best film of 2000 (Requiem for a Dream was the best), but Steven Soderbergh did blindside Ridley Scott winning Best director for his seamless weaving of three different stories about the war against drugs. Benicio Del Toro also won Best Supporting Actor, but if it had been up to me, that award would have gone to Don Cheadle for the same film.

This one's really starting to creak around the edges a little...a Best Picture nominee? Seriously? It's a nice romantic fantasy, not much else. It actually won the Best Original Screenplay Oscar, which still has me scratching my head, and Whoopi Goldberg's Oscar-winning performance just looks sillier with each re-watch. I'm pretty sure that Oscar was a consolation prize for the one that she really should have won for The Color Purple.

Broken Hearts Of Broadway (Irving Cummings, 1923)
+
Not much to make a song and dance about really

Shadows (TV, 1975):

After School – 5/10 The Witch's Bottle – 6/10

I'm very into my ghost stories at the moment so it's nice that these are being shown. Made by Thames Television and apparently full of faces that are completely new to me. These two tales have a similar premise and both involve a duo experiencing a supernatural event. Ironic in a week where Witchfinder General (1968) was shown that Matthew Hopkins should figure in the second episode . The previous week it was funny to see Gareth Thomas using an – albeit poshed-up – Welsh accent .

Not a bad story, but what carried this movie was the 4 male leads.

Excellent documentary. Fascinating.

Good documentary. Horrible what happened to these poor girls.

Three Colours Red (1994)

This still moves the bones of me. I don't even know if it was meant to be meaningful but it is to me. Flawless I'd say.

Excellent indie movie set in Baltimore. Lead actor, McCaul Lombardi, is someone to watch IMO.