🌟 Star Trek, TOS 🌟

Tools    

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I did not like Star Trek when I was little!
But one of my older brothers always wanted to watch it which caused problems because I didn't want to watch it. I watched it reluctantly at times as a little kid.

When I was 10 I started reading & buying comic books - this probably kicked off my love for sci-fi (as movies, TV shows, fanzines, and novels would follow - at one point I even had a subscription to Isaac Asimov's science fiction magazine).

In my early teens I "rediscovered" Star Trek and suddenly I couldn't get enough of the reruns.
Then I started writing sci-fi, and Star Trek was a huge influence (most of my early sci-fi stories resembled a combination of Star Trek, Battlestar Galactica & Buck Rogers - all on TV at the time!)

Star Trek seems to be one of those shows that you just can't appreciate when you're too young. It's not just riding a starship around in space and fighting aliens. It requires thinking and paying attention to really appreciate it.

Ghouls, vampires, werewolves... let's party.
Star Trek seems to be one of those shows that you just can't appreciate when you're too young. It's not just riding a starship around in space and fighting aliens. It requires thinking and paying attention to really appreciate it.
Speaking for myself, I enjoyed Star Trek even as a child. I enjoyed watching what my older brothers watched and it included shows like UFO, Space 1999, Mission: Impossible, Get Smart, and others. I was a member of what used to be called The Channel 20 Club. This was ages ago.

Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home is probably my second favorite Star Trek movie. It's a great movie because it's so much fun, but I think Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan is just a little bit better. However it may not really be a fair comparison for me because Star Trek II is the movie that really got me into Star Trek.
Star Trek II used to be my favorite and I had thought ST IV couldn't be taken seriously because of the overuse of humor, which was uncharacteristic of the franchise; but after continued watching of the movies, I began to like ST IV best and i grew to appreciate the humor it had.

Speaking for myself, I enjoyed Star Trek even as a child. I enjoyed watching what my older brothers watched and it included shows like UFO, Space 1999, Mission: Impossible, Get Smart, and others...
Me too, except I was the oldest We use to play Star Trek when we were kids as went exploring this big track of woods, must have been 40 acres or larger. I always got to be Captain Kirk when we went on out expeditions.

In Jr. High, I got into other sci fi shows like the Logan's Run & Planet of the Apes TV series, Battlestar Galactic, UFO and my favorite (besides Star Trek), Space 1999. Loved Space 1999 as it was my conceptional than action.

Yeah I remember Logan's Run. Great show. I once downloaded the entire series to my computer. It's available somewhere as a torrent file. The movie with Michael York is one of my favorites.

Yeah I remember Logan's Run. Great show. I once downloaded the entire series to my computer. It's available somewhere as a torrent file. The movie with Michael York is one of my favorites.
I don't remember much about it now, only that I use to watch it. Wait a minute I can picture the girl and wasn't there like a human robot with them?

The android, played by Donald Moffat. The girl, Heather Menzies, played one of the Von Trapp children.
Ah thanks! Speaking of the movie Logan's Run, one of my favorite sci fi films and I seen that first run at the theater. Loved it ever since. Well back to work for me.

Star Trek II used to be my favorite and I had thought ST IV couldn't be taken seriously because of the overuse of humor, which was uncharacteristic of the franchise; but after continued watching of the movies, I began to like ST IV best and i grew to appreciate the humor it had.

I think Star Trek IV is a favorite movie for most Star Trek fans because it's easier to relate to the humor because it makes fun of our own time, and things that we lived through. I don't know anyone who doesn't laugh when Scotty tries talking to the computer mouse.

I think Star Trek IV is a favorite movie for most Star Trek fans because it's easier to relate to the humor because it makes fun of our own time, and things that we lived through. I don't know anyone who doesn't laugh when Scotty tries talking to the computer mouse.
It's not my favorite!

Don't get me wrong, I don't hate it or even dislike it.

I think I enjoyed it quite a bit when I first saw it in the theater (except there were hooligans who kept imitating the whale probe sound through the whole movie!) - most of my feelings toward it are simply from overexposure and having it be the one others always wanted to watch again (back when I had friends).

The reasons it's not a fav:
1. No Enterprise - to me, the ship is part of the crew, without it, it would be like a ST movie without Kirk, Spock or McCoy.
2. Time travel - always a headache!
3. The plot - saving the whales was nice, but some of it came off feeling like a public service message: touting a personal cause.

Some trivia I recently heard: ST II, III & IV combined cost less to make than ST-The Motion Picture!!!

Some trivia I recently heard: ST II, III & IV combined cost less to make than ST-The Motion Picture!!!
That just goes to prove that expensive special effects do not always make a good movie. I think my favorite scene in STTMP was the shuttle craft circling the Enterprise, and also the scene when McCoy beamed aboard with that beard.

It's not my favorite!

Don't get me wrong, I don't hate it or even dislike it.

I think I enjoyed it quite a bit when I first saw it in the theater (except there were hooligans who kept imitating the whale probe sound through the whole movie!) - most of my feelings toward it are simply from overexposure and having it be the one others always wanted to watch again (back when I had friends).

The reasons it's not a fav:
1. No Enterprise - to me, the ship is part of the crew, without it, it would be like a ST movie without Kirk, Spock or McCoy.
2. Time travel - always a headache!
3. The plot - saving the whales was nice, but some of it came off feeling like a public service message: touting a personal cause.

Star Trek IV is not my favorite either, but it is my second favorite Star Trek movie. I agree with you about the Enterprise not being in the movie and the whales plot, but they don't hurt the movie for me like they do for you. However I like time travel movies, so that's a plus for me. I just like Star Trek II better because I think overall it's a better movie.

That just goes to prove that expensive special effects do not always make a good movie. I think my favorite scene in STTMP was the shuttle craft circling the Enterprise, and also the scene when McCoy beamed aboard with that beard.

That McCoy scene is definitely the best scene in the movie IMO.

Star Trek IV is not my favorite either, but it is my second favorite Star Trek movie. I agree with you about the Enterprise not being in the movie and the whales plot, but they don't hurt the movie for me like they do for you. However I like time travel movies, so that's a plus for me. I just like Star Trek II better because I think overall it's a better movie.
Kahn has a certain flow to it. It's a battle movie. Harve Bennett also said it's a submarine movie in space!

They showed it on TCM the other night and although I have it on DVD, I watched a bit... and I realized that through most of the film Kahn has the upper hand, but he keeps losing to Kirk ONLY because of his desire for revenge.

His second in command keeps trying to point this out to him - that they have their freedom, they have a ship (they can go anywhere) eventually they have "Genesis" (they can do anything, intimidate anyone or negotiate for anything), but Kahn just won't let his revenge go - which is his downfall. He's got Kirk Derangement Syndrome!

He's sitting pretty the whole time but just keeps blowing it (or, as Kirk says, he just keeps "missing the target!")

Guess that's why he's always quoting Moby Dick (same basic story with Captain Ahab - revenge at all costs).

Like Ahab, Kahn is not really a good leader - the lives of his crew mean nothing to him (they are only tools for his pursuit) he gladly sacrifices them for his own ambitions.

Kahn has a certain flow to it. It's a battle movie. Harve Bennett also said it's a submarine movie in space!

They showed it on TCM the other night and although I have it on DVD, I watched a bit... and I realized that through most of the film Kahn has the upper hand, but he keeps losing to Kirk ONLY because of his desire for revenge.

His second in command keeps trying to point this out to him - that they have their freedom, they have a ship (they can go anywhere) eventually they have "Genesis" (they can do anything, intimidate anyone or negotiate for anything), but Kahn just won't let his revenge go - which is his downfall. He's got Kirk Derangement Syndrome!

He's sitting pretty the whole time but just keeps blowing it (or, as Kirk says, he just keeps "missing the target!")

Guess that's why he's always quoting Moby Dick (same basic story with Captain Ahab - revenge at all costs).

Like Ahab, Kahn is not really a good leader - the lives of his crew mean nothing to him (they are only tools for his pursuit) he gladly sacrifices them for his own ambitions.
Agree about Khan and his thirst for revenge being his downfall. Like Spock said about Khan: "He is intelligent, but his pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking." I always laugh at that, and when Kirk taunts Khan with the line, "I'm laughing at the superior intellect!"

Star Trek V is the only one of the series I have any problem with. I read the "making of" book by Shatner and his daughter Lisabeth, and without meaning to I think, they show how Shatner had all these big ideas that just were not feasible, either economically or strategically. I also heard rumors from crew members that he wanted every shot to look like Lawrence of Arabia! Also, he is purported to have shouted at lower level crew members when he himself screwed up. It's no wonder the movie was dubbed by insiders, "Star Trek V: Shatner's Ego."

The scene of Kirk falling from El Capitan (the Captain, get it? ) was so enormously fake and placed right at the beginning of the movie that I almost walked out. Almost. But I stayed. Dammit, Jim, I paid my money and I was staying. Either Shatner or Paramount went with a different effects company unlike their usual ILM Studios and it shows. There are barely any stars to be seen (particularly when the rogue Klingon ship is first shown). And the main crew (Scotty, Uhura, Sulu, and Chekov are made to look like buffoons). Scotty walks head-on into a low-hanging beam. Sulu and Chekov get lost (one of them is the ship's navigator!), and it's only a few hundred miles from Sulu's hometown of San Francisco! Worst of all, the aged Uhura does a nude fan dance on top of a sand dune! Bleech! And the girl who plays the Romulan Ambassador on Nimbus III, the "Planet of Galactic Peace" ended up a year or two later being a news anchor on one of my local news channels! Guess Trek V didn't give her the boost she was hoping for! To be fair, yhere were good parts and bad parts. Overall it's watchable but I only usually watch it if I have a marathon viewing of the six films which is not often. Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country thankfully allowed the original crew to end their movie career with some dignity.

I used to dump all over Star Trek when I was a kid. It wasn't cool like Star Wars or The Matrix.

Flash forward to current year and I look forward to watching another episode of the OS (I'm about half way through the 3rd season) than another Jar Jar Abrams Star Wars movie.

So far in Season 3 my favorite episode has been "The Enterprise Incident" with the lady Romulan commander that's got the hots for Spock.

I used to dump all over Star Trek when I was a kid. It wasn't cool like Star Wars or The Matrix.

Flash forward to current year and I look forward to watching another episode of the OS (I'm about half way through the 3rd season) than another Jar Jar Abrams Star Wars movie.

So far in Season 3 my favorite episode has been "The Enterprise Incident" with the lady Romulan commander that's got the hots for Spock.
Yes! Another Star Trek convert You got good taste too, The Enterprise Incident is one of my favorite episodes

I know I keep bringing up the fan series Star Trek Continues (so forgive me)...
But I have to mention, in the last two episodes of the series the Romulan commander returns and they found an actress who, with the right make-up, looks so much like the original that it's uncanny.

That's one of the few episodes where Spock tells a lie. And what a whopper it was.