No Man's Sky

Tools    

there's a frog in my snake oil
Do we have a rough idea of what's in the August update?

• Full VR Support: For PSVR & PC, with motion controllers etc. (+ First person view for ground vehicles)
  • More Multiplayer: "...a radical new social and multiplayer experience which empowers players everywhere in the universe to meet and play together"
  • ???: "As well as Online and Virtual Reality, No Man’s Sky Beyond contains a third major feature set that we’ll be talking more about when we can."

A system of cells interlinked
Forgot this game had its own proper thread!

The People's Republic of Clogher
  • Full VR Support: For PSVR & PC, with motion controllers etc. (+ First person view for ground vehicles)
  • More Multiplayer: "...a radical new social and multiplayer experience which empowers players everywhere in the universe to meet and play together"
  • ???: "As well as Online and Virtual Reality, No Man’s Sky Beyond contains a third major feature set that we’ll be talking more about when we can."
More waving.

Seriously, I love the npc waving in NMS. Such gusto!

So, I've liked No Man's Sky, but I actually started to get some repetitive stress injury stuff after a couple of multi-hour sessions. So much clicking! Combined with a little lifting and a lot of throwing softballs around and it's just too much strain. Will try to pick it back up when the weather cools down.

So, I've liked No Man's Sky, but I actually started to get some repetitive stress injury stuff after a couple of multi-hour sessions. So much clicking! Combined with a little lifting and a lot of throwing softballs around and it's just too much strain. Will try to pick it back up when the weather cools down.
Ouch! Sorry to hear that.

That said, I have pretty much gotten almost totally away from mouse gaming at this point. Too much clicking and I very quickly end up in the same boat as you. Combine this with playing guitar and using a mouse at work, and it's just way too much. I have converted over to using the Dualshock 4 controller for pretty much all my PC gaming at this point. Being able to keep my forearms externally rotated makes all the difference.

Meanwhile, some damned alien jellyfish killed me. Arg!

Back problems made me move away from gaming with a keyboard and mouse for all but mouse-only games. I use an Xbox One controller now.

Aug 14th for the update then

** official blurb **

Still no word on the mystery 3rd pillar...

(There always has to be a mystery with NMS. My bet is beards for aliens. Or... restitution for the remaining launch lie: Talls trees and sexy diplodocuses....)

I just want to find the sunken freighter with my high-powered sonar! Spent an hour tooling around under the sea with no luck! Luckily, I have about 6,345 other things to do in game, as well!

I just want to find the sunken freighter with my high-powered sonar! Spent an hour tooling around under the sea with no luck! Luckily, I have about 6,345 other things to do in game, as well!
I'm kinda glad the oceans / vehicles / carriers update didn't drag me back in, because that's a load of extra new content to dig into

I've lucked out and have both the 14th/15th off as my shift-working weekend. Should get to have a proper dunk

---

PS on the RSI discussion before, I'd also transitioned to controller-whenever-possible. Psychologically & physiologically M/K just shouts 'work' at me obnoxiously

A little hint for folks just getting into the game:

Try to get your Exocraft missions done fairly quickly, as that gives you multiple vehicles with fairly large inventories for extra storage.

Oh see submarines? I didn't know there were submarines

Yea, last night was one of those "Oh cool, got a sub. I will check it out for 10 minutes and then go do all my space stuff and then maybe expand my base a bit."

2.5 hours later, I am still bobbing around looking for stuff in the ocean...

You can ride the weird procedural animals!
Woot! Tauntauns at last

Although I don't care what they say, I'm chosing which beast I ride in VR with great care

The crabs and the bipedal stegasauraus looked alright. That second bucking bronco they showed though? That's a vom vehicle right there...

(Imagine riding around on the back of one of the giant diplos though. That would be pretty insane).

Still no real word on what the 'third pillar' is. Unless it's the beastie interactions themselves?

I'll play stupid. What does "procedural" mean in this context?
Planets / biomes dialled up from seeds, leading to more terrain than you could possibly traverse, and a degree of sketchiness . Definitely in the ole Minecraft canny valley. Maths as mountains and all that. Just with the animals built from an assortment of limbs and character defects too

The original Elite from 1984, with its entire galaxies (8) of stars and planets (256 in each galaxy), used procedural generation. Unlike NMS it wasn't random generation because they wanted everyone to have the same experience, but the entire game came on a floppy disc.

52kb