Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

After noticing that people were talking sbout Tarantino. The best thing Tarantino ever did: it's basically his purest movie and all movies I watched that he made after this one feel like watered down versions of it. Basically, Tarantino could have died right after finishing this.

9.5/10

Season of the Devil (Ang Panahon ng Halimaw) (2018) by Lav Diaz

My fourth film by slow cinema auteur Lav Diaz. With a running time of "only" 4 hours, Season of the Devil, is one of the shorter movies by Diaz, but still a somewhat frustrating and difficult watch. From my perspective, watching a film by Diaz, is more of a (difficult) experience than entertainment. Many of the scenes are extended, nearly beyond breaking point, which makes it a rather special and frustrating watch even as a experienced cinephile. Season of the Devil works as an a capella musical, which is a very special and unique take on Philippine fascism. Imagine Jacques Demy's The Umbrellas of Cherbourg (1964) set in a paramilitary war in the Phillippine jungle. Season of the Devil seems from my point of view as a genuine exploration of a national crisis and tendency towards right-wing fascism and as such highly reflective and in search of a national identity.

Recommended if you are into slow cinema.

+

The Chechahcos [The New Comers] (Lewis H. Moomaw*, 1923)
+
Made me realise how much more tolerable Shirley Temple might have been if only born fifteen years earlier than she was

* - best director name ever

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”

Hobbs and Shaw (2019)

WARNING: "not really, but don't cry to me :D" spoilers below
It's Han.

The Other Wife (Nick Lyon, 2016)

Wish I'd opted for the other channel instead really

Long Shot (2019)

Rewatch for me so my wife could see it, and the strong rating holds. There's only one stretch of scenes for about 10 minutes that contribute poorly to the rest of the movie, but I still like the chemistry between Rogen and Theron. I'm gonna have to buy this one....best romantic comedy I've seen in awhile.

Look Away (2018)

Smart little thriller about a girl who is socially dysfunctional and finds a "mirror" image in which to project her more extrovert impulses. Watchable. Pretty spooky and India Eisley and Jason Isaacs put in strong performances. not really too original but atmospheric.

Up The Ladder (Edward Sloman, 1925)

Who knew they had Skype in the 20s .... shame nobody used it to provide ideas for a better end and title though

Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood (2019)

We went to a new theater in Biloxi yesterday to see QT's OUTIH. First time I'd seen a film at a theater in several years, and there are quite a few innovations: electric seats that have controls for reclining, head piece, and swivel table for your food/drinks. There was a pizzeria in the lobby, along with a liquor bar!

The picture was not in the main what I imagined it was going to be, given all the hype and speculation about it for the past year. I admired the film, chiefly for it's first rate acting from all, and secondly for the Hyd/L.A. settings of which I am so familiar.

It was certainly somewhat of a nostalgic plum to the end of the 1960s (when Tarantino was only 6 years old). He obviously loves the time period (the way I love the 1940s), its styles, its music, and its films. I hadn't suspected a comedy/fantasy, and it was a relief not to see his typical gore fetish on display. In fact the fictional outcome of the Manson crowd may have been the way Tarantino wished it would have been.

He did about as good a job as could be done with re-creating the settings of that era, because so many of it's iconic buildings have been torn down. But there was enough to give a fairly authentic representation of the time. One thing that's very difficult to recreate is the atmospheric haze/smog that was continuously present in 1969. I've never seen that in any other city. That, along with the characteristic flora, semi-arid conditions, and crazy architecture everywhere made L.A. unique.

The story lines were in the main believable, and the relationship was solid between the two leads. Look for future films with this pairing.

Doc's rating: 7/10

The Phantom Carriage (1921)

I don't get scared anymore but if I did this would give me nightmares. I didn't even get into it as much as I should have and it was one of the most haunting movies I've ever seen. I feel like I'm giving it a popcorn less than it deserves. It'll have to do for now.

Under the Skin (2013)

Maybe this rating is a bit harsh, but I really didn't understand the point of this movie. It didn't seem to explore a lot of what could have been given the concept. It sounds like book it's based on might have done that. I probably would have turned it off after 30 minutes if it didn't have Scarlett Johansson in it haha

Batman Returns (1992) 4/5

Desperado (1995) 3.4/5

Ronin (1998) 3.5/5

Suspect Zero (2004) 2.5/5

Under the Skin (2013)

Maybe this rating is a bit harsh, but I really didn't understand the point of this movie. It didn't seem to explore a lot of what could have been given the concept. It sounds like book it's based on might have done that. I probably would have turned it off after 30 minutes if it didn't have Scarlett Johansson in it haha
I thought she was extraordinary in that film. And she was very nice to look at, I'm not going to lie .

Season of the Devil (Ang Panahon ng Halimaw) (2018) by Lav Diaz

My fourth film by slow cinema auteur Lav Diaz. With a running time of "only" 4 hours, Season of the Devil, is one of the shorter movies by Diaz, but still a somewhat frustrating and difficult watch. From my perspective, watching a film by Diaz, is more of a (difficult) experience than entertainment. Many of the scenes are extended, nearly beyond breaking point, which makes it a rather special and frustrating watch even as a experienced cinephile. Season of the Devil works as an a capella musical, which is a very special and unique take on Philippine fascism. Imagine Jacques Demy's The Umbrellas of Cherbourg (1964) set in a paramilitary war in the Phillippine jungle. Season of the Devil seems from my point of view as a genuine exploration of a national crisis and tendency towards right-wing fascism and as such highly reflective and in search of a national identity.

Recommended if you are into slow cinema.

+

What an incredible image ! I couldn't see the weirdness at first, but then realised something was going on and went back to it.

Look Away (2018)

Smart little thriller about a girl who is socially dysfunctional and finds a "mirror" image in which to project her more extrovert impulses. Watchable. Pretty spooky and India Eisley and Jason Isaacs put in strong performances. not really too original but atmospheric.
Now this is very interesting because it sounds like the Russian gothic stories I mentioned here, in relation to Oculus:

https://www.movieforums.com/communit...ad.php?t=50047