Where do you get your reviews from?

Tools    

I like to peruse the reviews on this site, which oftentimes gives me leads for films that sound worth investigating.

As far as pro reviewers, I generally like Rex Reed, Michael Medved, and frequently the Roger Ebert site. I love Reed's biting reviews where he's not afraid to go against the lemmings in the PC/SJ media. More often than not, however, he'll praise any movie simply because of its homosexual theme. But if one knows that going in, one may use a grain of salt..

~Doc

I tend to briefly skim a review before seeing a movie -often Ebert site, but from any newspaper or online site that I happen to read. And more and more, I look to mofo reviewers, who are every bit as talented and articulate as the professional writers. But I only glance at the reviews initially. I don't like knowing a lot about a movie b/c it takes away the momentum of the movie for me , and undercuts my enjoyment of seeing how it all unfolds. And some reviewers can't resist spoilers, which really can ruin the movie for me. In general , I can get a pretty good feel as to whether I' ll enjoy a film from knowing the 'bare bones ' about it beforehand. Not always though- Three Billboards being , to my chagrin, a big bombastic disappointment .

Btw the extra- special nice thing about reading mofo reviews is that I learn about truly wonderful movies that mainstream media may have overlooked.. Or get reminded of some classics I want see for the first time, or revisit.

At any rate, my real enjoyment in exploring reviews comes from reading the full reviews AFTER I see the movie. I get to relive the film, and gain a few insights I may have missed. I also enjoy reviewing movies myself from time to time, and as @Citizen Rules so wisely observed; I do tend to agree with my own opinions.

Finally- Omg @GulfportDoc I didn't realize Rex was still alive 🙄. I just checked out a few of his reviews and was gratified to see he adored Stan&Ollie and - pleasant surprise to me- was scathingly scorching to Three Billboards. But I'd never read his reviews before I see the picture-too many spoilers.

Weird is relative.
I wish they hadn't allowed all these randoms to continue posting reviews on Ebert's site. Last year I met people who actually hadn't realized he had passed away, and referred to the reviews there, saying, "Ebert liked this," or "Ebert didn't like this."

But these critics' opinions are probably far different than that of the actual man himself, so it seems unfair that they've been allowed to "represent his image," so to speak.

I was very sad when he became ill and died as I followed his reviews and his Twitter page and thought he was a genuinely interesting human being.

A bucket of anxiety
Jeremy Jahns >>> Stuckmann because now a days stuckmann is showing his bias towards filmmakers.Jeremy jahns is always on the side of entertainment. If a movie feels entertaining then he will rate it good. If a movie didn't entertain him then he will not support it. But stuckmann makes excuses for directors he likes and somehow gives them a pass. Its very evident in the reviews for some of the weaker movies by great directors.
I love watching Jeremy Jahns! He's just so full of energy and has a great personality, however, we don't really think on the same wavelength, there's a lot of movies I don't like that he loves, which is completely fine, but I figured that the OP meant reviews that I trust to pick out movies that are worth seeing. That's why I didn't mention him. And I usually watch Stuckman for horror movies reviews. I watch his other stuff too and I don't really see him being bias, but I haven't been watching much YouTube lately because I've been so busy. Could you give an example?

Finally- Omg @GulfportDoc I didn't realize Rex was still alive 🙄. I just checked out a few of his reviews and was gratified to see he adored Stan&Ollie and - pleasant surprise to me- was scathingly scorching to Three Billboards. But I'd never read his reviews before I see the picture-too many spoilers.
Yeah, Rex is a riot..... usually. And he doesn't give a whit about what anyone thinks of his opinions. Nice to see someone with backbone in amongst that whole reeking Hollywood/New York milieu.

I can identify with what you said about avoiding reviews so as to not have info revealed about a movie before you've seen it. I was always that way, and I still am about pure mysteries, most documentaries, and certain other pictures.

But I've gradually started reading entire plots for most movies --especially anything rated "R"-- for the simple reason that there's so much mind numbing crappola being made these days that I don't want to be halfway into a film before realizing that I've stumbled into repugnant content.

For anything rated "R", I oftentimes look at the "Content Advisory" on IMDB. If most categories are rated "severe", I skip the flick. I've seen enough of that gorganzola..

~Doc

I miss Gene Siskel. I use to watch him and Roger Ebert on their TV show for years, loved that show. I've tried looking for Gene's old reviews on line, but can't find them. Anybody know where I can find them?

"Honor is not in the Weapon. It is in the Man"
The Movie Oracle and Rye the Movie Guy to name a few. I also write my own, but if these two reviewed the same films, I like hearing their opinions even if I don't always agree with them.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
lol. Sorry. I meant nothing by that, just was all I could think of to use to make a comparison all for the sake of a joke

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

I don't really read reviews - especially before I've seen a film.

Generally, if something seems silly, stupid, out of line etc I'll google search after I've seen the film to see if it was just me that felt that way. I look in the review threads here as well.

One thing I never do is watch movie reviews on youtube. It's like there's some school out there teaching these people to be falsely cheerful or overly friendly - like used car salesmen (ok not all, maybe like Bill Paxton in True Lies with that big cheesy grin).

I honestly get them from here. Rate the last movie you've seen is the one I mostly read and I've found some hidden gems in there.
Sadly most of my friends don't like old movies so I often have no other opinion than my own but hey, gotta work with what you have

I miss Gene Siskel. I use to watch him and Roger Ebert on their TV show for years, loved that show. I've tried looking for Gene's old reviews on line, but can't find them. Anybody know where I can find them?

I was curious so I looked this up CR. You can find Siskel' s written reviews from the Chicago Tribune on Rotten Tomatoes - and you can see the old tv shows of Siskel and Ebert on youtube. Enjoy!

Too bad a new generation of film goers won't know their catchphrase 'two thumbs up' - and that it meant- "hey we both agree - go see this terrific movie" Btw I used to get a kick out of how the two of them would 'spat' over a film review. If memory serves me, I believe I tended to agree more with Siskel.

I was curious so I looked this up CR. You can find Siskel' s written reviews from the Chicago Tribune on Rotten Tomatoes - and you can see the old tv shows of Siskel and Ebert on youtube. Enjoy!

Too bad a new generation of film goers won't know their catchphrase 'two thumbs up' - and that it meant- "hey we both agree - go see this terrific movie" Btw I used to get a kick out of how the two of them would 'spat' over a film review. If memory serves me, I believe I tended to agree more with Siskel.
Cool and thanks. You don't know how many times I tried to find a movie review by good ole Siskel, but never found any. Glad to hear there's another fan of their old show. I think today I would agree more with Siskel, but both were great.

I pay some atension to a few reviews like Mark Kermode(although even he is getting iffy) but mostly I tend to go by forum recommendations these days, people I know have similar taste to me and much less chance of bias.

Seems to work pretty well as combined with a judgement of directors work I very rarely find myself watching cinema I don't enjoy these days, its more a question of degrees.

Maybe age is a factor here? I think most people tend to develop their tastes for art during their 20's so its more hit and miss then.

Bloodbath & Beyond seems to work for me.

I read reviews from several sites depending on the type of film. However, I don't share where I find them and continue to use the same sites ... So I won't be listing them anywhere.... but I will share someone's review of a movie... which kind of made me more interested in watching the film.

There are some films that are so disgusting and hit you so hard that it is almost impossible to watch them again, **************** is one of them […] The sex is disturbing and the most normal [of that kind] is what goes on between the two siblings […] A film that shows the most deprived in this world. If you have a grin on your face after watching [this movie] you are a douchebag and I never want to meet you.