Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Not since The Wolf of Wallstreet has a three hour film just flown by. And this is high praise because this is a German film that takes you on this long winding road of a story that doesn't really ever fall into the melodrama of the subject matter. This is sort of an inverse of The White Ribbon which tells the dour story of prewar Germany while this moves post war.

Never look away doesn't go where you think it'll go. You keep waiting for these melodramatic scenes and they don't really come.

Race With The Devil (1975)

Do you know what a roller pigeon is, Barney? They climb high and fast, then roll over and fall just as fast toward the earth. There are shallow rollers and deep rollers. You can’t breed two deep rollers, or their young will roll all the way down, hit, and die. Officer Starling is a deep roller, Barney. We should hope one of her parents was not.

Saw 'Once Upon a Time ... In Hollywood'

Absolutely LOVED IT. - Solid 9/10 from me

Once Upon A Time ... In Hollywood
Quentin Tarantino

I think it's been more than 3 years since I last posted here. Well, I guess I'm back!

I have to say, I had pretty high expectations for this movie given my love for Tarantino's movies in general, but also because of the praise the film has received so far. Although a bit lengthy (especially the first 2 hours of the movie), the ending is completely amazing. A great take on a tragic true story that only Tarantino himself is able to craft. I would have given this a higher rating hadn't it been for the slow pace of much of the movie.

+

Welcome to the human race...
The Fate of the Furious -

do people really think Johnson and Statham have enough chemistry to warrant a spin-off

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”
Or, Johnson being one of the biggest stars now, needing a vehicle to smash stuff.

I think everything else was an afterthought, hence all the other FF actors who had hard feelings.

"Honor is not in the Weapon. It is in the Man"

A Score to Settle

Nicolas Cage stars as Frank Carver, a man released from prison after being the scapegoat in a gang murder. Released, he only wants two things: a relationship with his estranged son and as the title indicates, revenge. He doesn't pull off the insanity mode until the final ten minutes of the film and it doesn't last long either. There are some intricate twists that writers John Newman and Shawn Ku (who also directed) put in that some are expected but one that is totally unexpected and just makes this a worthy Cage vehicle.

Lamp Light

Solid indie film about a man having a bad day who finds himself entrapped in a landslide after the tunnel he travels through collapses. Writer/director/star Mason Rey must have been influenced by films such as The Vanishing and Buried, where the protagonist is confined to a small area. In the case of Rey, it becomes a slow spiral downward with him having to confront his own demons and ensure his own survival. Rey does a pretty good job in terms of what he is working with.

Match Point (Woody Allen, 2005)

Flat movie with uninspired writing, insipid acting by Scarlett Johansson and Jonathan Rhys Meyers and clunky editing to boot. At 2 hours, not much happens until the very end and I suppose it's the surprise ending that people like. But to me I like character depth, world building and story arch....and Match Point had little of that. This felt like a lower tier Woody Allen film, ala 'directing by the numbers'.

Welcome to the human race...
Or, Johnson being one of the biggest stars now, needing a vehicle to smash stuff.

I think everything else was an afterthought, hence all the other FF actors who had hard feelings.
Yeah, I think it's easy enough to forget that he's a big star when his non-Fast movies tend to be forgettable exercises in cinematic white noise like Rampage or Skyscraper.

Re-watch of a sad sweet movie. Julie Christie has always been an idol of mine.

Re-watch of a sad sweet movie. Julie Christie has always been an idol of mine.
The director Sarah Polley's quite iconic for me, having been in The Adventures of Baron Munchausen .

I think it's been more than 3 years since I last posted here. Well, I guess I'm back!

I have to say, I had pretty high expectations for this movie given my love for Tarantino's movies in general, but also because of the praise the film has received so far. Although a bit lengthy (especially the first 2 hours of the movie), the ending is completely amazing. A great take on a tragic true story that only Tarantino himself is able to craft. I would have given this a higher rating hadn't it been for the slow pace of much of the movie.

+
Hello, I would like to watch this movie seen the trailer, even if there are negative comments in any case it's a good movie

Show People (King Vidor, 1928)

Far better than Souls For Sale imo ... and now I know where it ends too

Rubber (2010, Quentin Dupieux)

This movie is literally about a tyre that comes to life and starts roaming around randomly blowing up people, animals and other objests through psychokinetic powers. And you know what, I liked it. It was fun, absurd, out of the box, and very Lynch-esque in how it deconstructs the whole idea of cinema and the 'cinema-spectator' relationship by inserting an actual audience (a bunch of people with binoculars watching the tyre's killing spree from a distance as it unfolds) as an independent detached protagonist into the film's "movie within a movie" narrative.

Very postmodernist, very meta, full of black humor and all kinds of weirdness but also some subtle social commentary - it's one of those cinematic oddities you will either like or you won't. I enjoyed it.