Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

I really like Chekhov, but, for me, this movie could have gone either way. Despite many bad reviews, I thought it was rather delightful. Great cast, especially Bening, & very well-acted.

This looks worth watching for the cast alone...this cast looks AMAZING!!!!

Time Without Pity (1957). A brilliant drama starring one of my favourites, Michael Redgrave. 4 out of 5.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.

This light-hearted Neil Simon comedy still provides consistent grins, thanks primarily to Simon's one-liners and the lovely performances by Marsha Mason and Jason Robards. This film also marked the film debut of Matthew Broderick, playing Mason's son. Leading man Sutherland's son, Keifer, also makes his film debut here, billed in the credits as a character named "Bill" but I have to confess that as many times as I have seen this film, I have never been able to spot him.

Keifer Sutherland plays one of Michael's friends at the beginning of the movie. Watch for him when Nora drops him off at school.

Anders als die Andern [Different From The Others] (Richard Oswald, 1919)

LGBT soapbox drama that highlights the potential dangers of getting involved with Bolleks

broken flowers - 2005

uncertainty is the word to sum up this movie
jarmusch showing his music repertoire with a nice ethiopian music
the typical jarmusch, unconcern about the plot, all about the details
jarmusch along side with his "teacher" wim wenders are masters on filming cars
i'd like to know how he filmed those first person car scenes

Birdbox 2019

Jordan Peele could take note on how tomake a premise for a horror movie mysterious enough to be intriguing but not not evasive. M. Night could also learn a thing or two about how to make a breeze into something truly menacing, Very enjoyable for me.

Do you know what a roller pigeon is, Barney? They climb high and fast, then roll over and fall just as fast toward the earth. There are shallow rollers and deep rollers. You can’t breed two deep rollers, or their young will roll all the way down, hit, and die. Officer Starling is a deep roller, Barney. We should hope one of her parents was not.

Thanks for thinking of me Doc . I am a fan of folk music, as you know..I also saw this movie years ago, but to tell the truth it didn't leave much of an impression on me. Mostly forgettable - as you said, not one of Guest's best.

A film about folk music , more serious than this, that really impressed me when I saw it was Songcatcher. This movie explores Appalachian folk music, with a track list of some admired talented singers- including a bone chilling version of the old classic Barbara Allen by our esteemed Emmy Lou Harris. You don't even have to watch the entire movie if you choose , but here's one song by Emmy Lou- if you like, , take a listen...
I did watch Songcatcher last night, and I really enjoyed most of the 15 or so songs, especially the Appalachian type mountain ballads. As a production, the movie itself was.... well, I'd rather not say.

I love many of the primitive styles, and I have recordings of some of the old music. It's interesting how some of the early Americana music morphed into many different styles: various country modes, blue grass, blues, cajun, zydeco, and so forth.

Re ELH: Emmy Lou Harris is probably my favorite female country singer, although I do have an affinity for Kitty Wells. Harris has a voice styling like nobody else. She can slide from one note to another much like a steel guitar or a trombone. I've often listened to her Together Again song 5-6 times in a row, although I actually prefer hers and Buck Owens' classic rendition with the stunning steel break by the great Tom Brumley.

It might interest you to know that I rarely pay attention to, or even hear, lyrics. Most often I have only the faintest notion of the song's exposition, and that is typically due to its title. Probably the reason for that is that I was an instrumentalist, and wasn't too concerned about what a singer was singing, except in terms of HOW they were singing it. So most vocal music I like is because of its style, and/or the performer who's singing it.

~Doc

broken flowers - 2005

uncertainty is the word to sum up this movie
jarmusch showing his music repertoire with a nice ethiopian music
the typical jarmusch, unconcern about the plot, all about the details
jarmusch along side with his "teacher" wim wenders are masters on filming cars
i'd like to know how he filmed those first person car scenes

I liked this movie...Murray was terrific...due for a re-watch.

Probably like everyone else, I went see Once Upon a Time in Hollywood last night.

I feel like there's a whole 1/3 of this movie we didn't see. I was expecting a juxtaposition of the American and Italian film industries - and how insane it was making movies in Italy during the late 60s. We sort of got that - but with a quick two minute voice over. You'd think for a genre of movies that Tarantino has been paying homage to since Pulp Fiction that he'd explore more of that, but alas.

I think this is far from the masterpiece that everyone is touting it to be, but this is clearly Tarantino's retirement/I'm old movie. It's basically a well funded nostalgia trip that's entertaining enough to overlook it's aimlessness.

The soundtrack is solid (as usual) and I could watch Damian Lewis do his Steve McQueen impression for an entire feature.

The Haunted House (Walt Disney, 1929)

Michael Mouse short quite clearly made with a skeleton crew

The Karnival Kid (Walt Disney & Ub Iwerks, 1929)

Michael Mouse short that hits the occasional high note

Sweet sad indie movie. Excellent.

First Men in the Moon (1964)

Never seen this one in full but never fancied it either. There's a 2010 TV version that I didn't bother with either .

Apparently there was a 1919 silent film of the story and it's lost. It looks really unusual too.

I liked this a lot, and then fell in love with it by the end.

It was shockingly non-violent for a nearly 3 hour film, and so much of it was very un-Tarantino (at least un-Tarantino post-Jackie Brown) - which was totally fine with me. It absolutely luxuriated in it's mythic 1969 story and world-building and I was all in for it. Brad Pitt stole the film, this is the absolute best he’s been since Fight Club. The tension building was super effective, and I appreciated how it wasn't completely dark or serious, it felt wholesome by the end, even a bit melancholy and sad (makes you ponder on what could’ve been). It kinda felt like a more darker and serious, grounded iteration of La La Land without any musical numbers (spoilers I guess if you expected any musical numbers?)

WARNING: "Once Upon a Time in... Hollywood" spoilers below
But by taking the Sharon Tate murder, which we dreaded coming, and flipping it on its head and making it Hollywood mythology, I think kept it from being too exploitative. Which it could have easily been had he decided to portray what actually happened. The midnight screening audience I attended absolutely lost it when Cliff was bashing one of the Manson killer's heads over and over.

Vice President
358 Exchange Place New York, N.Y. 10099 FAX 212 555 6390 TELEX : () 4534