Djokovic is GOAT

Tools    

Jesus what a match. Let me just say it is unreal that Djokovic, Federer and Nadal are all playing in the same era. It's stupid how good they have been for this long and they don't look like they are slowing down. 30 and over use to be a death sentence in tennis. Novak is 32. Nadal is 33. Roger about to be 38. Cyborgs. But....

Listen before I make my argument for Novak full disclosure I am a Djokovic mark. But I am so invested because I choose to root for him and be my guy before he even won a slam. I was rooting for James Blake at the time but he was wanding down his career and Novak beat him a couple times before Novak was Novak. So I looked him up. His birthday was the same year and week as mine. We are both 32 now. Then he actually showed a personality at the US Open when after his matches he would impersonate other players. Federer and Nadal were so robotic and dull to me. Basically I was just in at the ground floor so I feel like doubly invested.

However to my point about Novak being the greatest right now. Some key points.

-He has the advantage in head to head vs both Fed and Nadal. And these dudes have played each other a TON.

-Vs Nadal he has played 54 times and he is 28-26 vs him. 6-9 in slams vs Nadal (weighted by Nadal's ridiculous French Open clay court dominance) but 4-4 in Finals.

-vs Federer he has played him 48 times. He is 26-22 vs Roger. 10-6 in slams vs Fed but 4-1 in finals.

-vs Federer at Wimbeldon on grass where Fed is suppose to be king. He is 4-1 vs him including 3-0 in the finals.

- He is the only person to win all 9 of the Master series tourneys. Fed and Nadal haven't done that.

- He is one of only 2 people who have beaten Nadal at the French ever. Fed has never even come close. In fact Fed is lucky to have his French because Soderling beat Rafa for him the year he won.

-Novak is the only one of the big 3 to hold all grand slams at once. Nearly did it this year too losing in the semis at the French.

-Of his 25 Grand Slam Finals appearances only 5 have come vs someone other than Federer, Nadal or Murray. (Winning 3 of those 5, damn you Wawrinka) Compare that to Roger's finals appearances 31 (with 14 vs players other than Murray, Novak or Nadal winning 13 of those) and Nadal's 26 GS final's appearances (with 9 vs other players then Fed, Novak and Murray winning 8 of those). Basically he has had to earn his GS against his main rivals. Fed and Nadal are a combined 22-2 in Grand Slam finals vs anyone outside Murray, Novak or each other.

-12 of Nadal's 18 Grand Slams have come at the French on clay were he is unbeatable. Without that dominance he wouldn't be near Fed or Novak. Novak talent carries over to all the surfaces.

- Federer is about 6 years older than both Nadal and Novak so he got a head start on both winning slams. His first 7 slam wins he didn't have to go through any of Murray, Novak or Nadal. He basically got a 7 slam head start on both Novak and Nadal while they have done it vs each other and Fed.

Anyways that's my case for Novak to be the goat. The only thing Novak doesn't have that the other two have is a Gold medal at the Olympics but he has a chance next year. Who is your GOAT? or do you even care? lol

101 Favorite Movies (2019)

Novak could certainly catch Federer for most Majors all-time, but it's hard to compare them directly. The point you made about Federer getting a head start could flip against Novak too in the sense that he is getting a lot of these Slams post-Nadal injuries and when Federer is in the twilight of his career (despite still being great). I like all 3 of them, but I would say I like watching Novak's style the least, for what its worth.

One thing I'd like to note here is how much I hate all these tennis sources claiming that the sport will be fine when all 3 of them leave the game because the younger players are going to be formidable....we have seen that to be primarily false. These 3 players are years past their prime and yet not a single younger player can put up a strong case for a major. Tsitsipas inconsistent, Thiem seems to only be good on clay, Zverev is terrible in majors, etc. I don't know if it's so they can still try and keep everyone's attention and/or revenue, but no younger player today has a solid case for winning even 5 majors right now.

Novak could certainly catch Federer for most Majors all-time, but it's hard to compare them directly. The point you made about Federer getting a head start could flip against Novak too in the sense that he is getting a lot of these Slams post-Nadal injuries and when Federer is in the twilight of his career (despite still being great). I like all 3 of them, but I would say I like watching Novak's style the least, for what its worth.

One thing I'd like to note here is how much I hate all these tennis sources claiming that the sport will be fine when all 3 of them leave the game because the younger players are going to be formidable....we have seen that to be primarily false. These 3 players are years past their prime and yet not a single younger player can put up a strong case for a major. Tsitsipas inconsistent, Thiem seems to only be good on clay, Zverev is terrible in majors, etc. I don't know if it's so they can still try and keep everyone's attention and/or revenue, but no younger player today has a solid case for winning even 5 majors right now.
I gotta disagree. It's hard to compare Jordan and LeBron because they never suited up against each other in their primes. These guys have all played each other in their primes and whatever the hell this is called haha because they are still disgustingly good. It's totally fair to compare them because they are doing it vs each other. It's become increasingly obvious they are the 3 best tennis players of all time. In the same damn era. Crazy.

Not sure what you mean by Nadal's injuries? I know he had a rough patch a few years ago but he seems healthy as ever now. Novak gutted out the win last year in the semis at Wimbeldon with a fully healthy Nadal while he was coming back from elbow surgery. Roger had a knee problem a few years ago but seems back. All 3 have had injury patches but came back strong as ever.

Oh yea another thing Roger as never done is beat both Rafa and Novak in the same Slam to win. Rafa and Novak have both done that. Beat the other two to win a major.

But whatever everyone has their opinion about who is the best. But I don't get why people prefer Nadal's or Federer's style. Novak plays such long crazy rallies, it makes it more exciting to me.

Also tennis will be fine after them. Tennis just needs either dominate players like the big 3 or eccentric characters like McEnroe or Agassi to stay interested. It's theater and these guys are the show. It would certainly help tennis if an American male would step up and be win some majors. Always good for the sport when an American male is relevant. Looking bleak. Tiafoe is too inconsistent I think to be much a threat. But I tell you what that Reilly Opelka kid, 21 year old 7 footer, with a monster serve has some Wimbledon contending years in his future and possible some hard court slams. He beat Wawrinka this year at Wimbledon. I think he will win at least one with that serve down the line.

The top article on ESPN.com at least partially agrees with you:

Why we should no longer doubt Novak Djokovic's place among tennis' GOATs
These fools on all those shows are like "Should we put Novak up there with Roger and Rafa now?" ugh duh. If you have watched a lick of tennis over the last decade it's been these 3. I was sick as a dog when Novak was down those 2 match points because if Fed had won Djokovic gets pushed back in the convo when he deserves to be right there. Winning like that probably actually helped him in the GOAT convo. Now he has two crazy ass Grand Slam Finals victories over the other two. (Aussie open 2012 vs Nadal, the 6 hour one and this Wimbledon).

Listen all argue all day for Novak. But even if he lost that final, its absurd not to put all 3 in the GOAT convo on the same level.

On my bucket list is to go see Novak at the US Open. I might just say screw it and go this year. Who knows how long he will be going.

Also 61 of the last 66 grand slams played, that's 16 1/2 years, one of Nadal, Novak or Federer have at least been in the finals. 5 times in 16 1/2 years hahaha. Of the last 66 grand slams Novak, Rafa and Roger have won 56 of them. It's hard to comprehend this that.

Zverev has been the most disappointing for me. I had high hopes from him and Raonic.

I don't have much faith in Opelka. He's almost a clone of Isner. That playing style will get you deep sometimes, but neither has a well-rounded game good enough to win a slam (Opelka still has time to develop I suppose)

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Interesting to see if he can beat Federer's total. Currently its 20 slams for Federer and 16 for Djokovic, and 37 years vs 32, with both kinda old for tennis players, Sampras declined at 30.

Federer Is unlikely to win any US or French but has still been great in recent Austrailian Open/Wimbledon. Hasn't won a US Open since 2008. Time running out for sure.

Djokovic only 1 French Open but has been strong in the other three recently. Looks to have more chances than Federer due to age but could still decline easily in 2-3 years, lose some pace, other contenders could rise up.

Conclusion, its gonna be close for GOAT but I'd put money on Federer.

Interesting to see if he can beat Federer's total. Currently its 20 slams for Federer and 16 for Djokovic, and 37 years vs 32, with both kinda old for tennis players, Sampras declined at 30.

Federer Is unlikely to win any US or French but has still been great in recent Austrailian Open/Wimbledon. Hasn't won a US Open since 2008. Time running out for sure.

Djokovic only 1 French Open but has been strong in the other three recently. Looks to have more chances than Federer due to age but could still decline easily in 2-3 years, lose some pace, other contenders could rise up.

Conclusion, its gonna be close for GOAT but I'd put money on Federer.
Fed isn't slowing down and it pisses me off haha. He is still a major threat at Aussie/US Open and Wimbldeon until he starts exiting these slams the first week. Hell he is still a threat at the French if he doesn't run into Rafa. He didn't play that for a couple years (another reason i knock him, he just conceded the French to Rafa) and made the semis this year.

Rafa has at least the French in his bag every year. So he could end up with the most for sure. Only dude that can beat him there is Novak and it's difficult for him.

30 and up use to be a death sentence for a tennis player. But with development in fitness and recovery and procedures to fix injuries has helped their longevity. Plus the fact the purses have swollen. All 3 have made 100 million on the court in their career plus endorsements. Makes it easier to last longer putting all that money into your body.

But I think the biggest reasons for all 3 of their insane longevity is they have each other pushing them. They might not reveal it, but I think all 3 desperately want to end with the most majors. There is a reason for their fire to still burn. But when the dust settles and if Novak can play as long and be as healthy as Fed. I think he shoots pass Fed unless Fed wins a couple more soon. That's why this Wimbledon might be the most important win/match in the race for the most. Novak losses he falls 6 behind and needs seven to pass. But he saved 2 match points and now he is only 4 behind 5 to pass. That is a MASSIVE swing.

I think it's safe to say Novak at least wins one of the US Open or Aussie. So I except next Wimebledon for Novak to at least be 3 behind and Rafa be one. Could be down to 2 for Novak and 1 for Rafa. It's vital Roger wins one of the next two or he doesn't stand a chance to keep his record.

I don't have much faith in Opelka. He's almost a clone of Isner. That playing style will get you deep sometimes, but neither has a well-rounded game good enough to win a slam (Opelka still has time to develop I suppose)
Well I like Tiafoe, but I don't think he is much better than what he did getting to the quarters at the Aussie, he had a dream draw. He just looks miserable out there when he plays ha. He has to commit to changing his fitness and attitude on the court. Not that he has a bad attitude it's just he doesn't give off a lot of belief on the court to me he will win.

Fritz I don't think has the game to challenge for majors. Isner and Quarry have both flirted at Wimbledon. Still either one could win at Wimbledon if the draw breaks right for them or the big 3 loses or is injuried but they are getting up in age.

Opelka is the only young guy that really gives me any hope for any pulse in American tennis soon with that serve. Maybe there is a young guy coming up I don't know about. But Opelka will be 22 soon. I think his wrist was hurt 2 years ago when he was 20. I think he is just becoming healthy finally. Need to see some results now in the hard court majors and Wimbledon (he doesn't stand at chance in Paris). And I was encouraged that he made the 3rd round at Wimbledon by beating Wawrinka in 5. That's a HUGE win. Outside the big 3 Murray and Wawrinka is the best scalp you can get. Hopefully it's a confidence boost for him going into the US Open. With his serve he has a chance to at least win one on hard court or grass. Big 3 won't be in his way his whole career if he plays into his 30s.

All three of them have claims to be the GOAT of tennis. Yes Djokovic has a winning head to head against both Federer and Nadal. But Nadal has a winning record in the slams (i understand that is because of Rafa's dominance on clay) and Federer is the only player to have beaten Djokovic in all 4 of the slams.
All three of them have won all 4 slams. But they all have only won 3 of the 4 slams more than once, Djokovic and Federer only have one French Open title each and won the other 3 multiple times. While Nadal has 1 Austrailian Open and won the others multiple times.
Only Nadal has won multiple slams on all 3 surfaces.
Only Djokovic has held all 4 slams at the same time.
Only Federer has won 3 of the 4 slams 5 times or more.

I think Nadal has a great claim to be the GOAT as he has a winning record against the other 2 in the slams, has won multiple slams on each surface and has competed in less slams than the other two.
But that's my opinion, although I actually prefer Djokovic to the other two players, lol.

All three of them have claims to be the GOAT of tennis. Yes Djokovic has a winning head to head against both Federer and Nadal. But Nadal has a winning record in the slams (i understand that is because of Rafa's dominance on clay) and Federer is the only player to have beaten Djokovic in all 4 of the slams.
All three of them have won all 4 slams. But they all have only won 3 of the 4 slams more than once, Djokovic and Federer only have one French Open title each and won the other 3 multiple times. While Nadal has 1 Austrailian Open and won the others multiple times.
Only Nadal has won multiple slams on all 3 surfaces.
Only Djokovic has held all 4 slams at the same time.
Only Federer has won 3 of the 4 slams 5 times or more.

I think Nadal has a great claim to be the GOAT as he has a winning record against the other 2 in the slams, has won multiple slams on each surface and has competed in less slams than the other two.
But that's my opinion, although I actually prefer Djokovic to the other two players, lol.
Very good stats thrown up there. They all do have a claim. I just edge Djoker though. He started in such a hole compared to Rafa and Fed in slams its amazing he is as close as he is now. Plus when you play as much as this 3 have against each other I think head to head is a huge deal and he has the edge vs both. (not like Kyrgios 2-0 vs Djoker. Only in best of 3 and back when Djoker was coming back from injury both matches. It's sort of worthless)

Plus being the only one to hold all 4 at once is a big feather in his cap. As well as actually beating Nadal in Paris (Only two dudes have done that, Fed has never even come close). So let down Novak lost in the semis in Paris this year. I wanted him to beat Rafa in the finals at his house. Plus hold all 4 again.

In the end I guess it comes down to who you prefer and whoever ends up with the most. It would be so poetic if they all finished with the same amount . Whatever you want to say in a sport where the age 30 use to be a death sentence for a career their continued dominance is amazing. Just hope an American can enter once they leave.