The Videogames Tab

Tools    

A system of cells interlinked
You got it, @Austruck!

That's the cool thing about this game. You can play it any way you want. Some people might constantly go from planet to planet, or engage in space battles constantly, while others can completely ignore that aspect, find the perfect planet, and hang out terraforming and building their base in a very mellow way. You can set up farms and play the economy...whatever you like!

Still learning the ropes myself, and I do plenty of locking on to icons when I head to other planets, believe me!

I landed on a planet yesterday that had thermonuclear fog that was so bad, I could only be out of my ship for about a minute at a time before I had to start dumping Sodium Nitrate into my shields or I was cooked! I didn't hang around there for long!

@Yoda - did you give NMS a shot yet?

No, but I'll make a special point to start today!
Cool!

Please post some thoughts here once you get a bit of time playing under your belt.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
To jump ship for a bit, I'm still trotting along RDR2. I'm enjoying it more now that I have a feel for hunting. I've taken a break from the chapter quests and, instead, have just roamed the map hunting and exploring. I'll pick up the Stranger quest lines as they appear and I think I've cleared the Arcadia for Amateurs line (5 encounters and the guy seems to finally get smart enough to go home). I just started fishing and found the stranger that opens the legendary fish map, so that's interesting. Speaking of maps, I now have the fast-travel map in camp. I guess that fast business is only one way?

Other than that, I'm just goofing off popping gators left and right.

Carry on, now, with your No People's Sky.

Cool!

Please post some thoughts here once you get a bit of time playing under your belt.
Okay, played for a couple of hours today. Had to start a second game because I didn't follow that I had to be out of the ship and bring up another menu to build something I needed to proceed. I had to use Google a couple of times to make sure I had the right idea, which isn't great.

That said, the moments of revelation are pretty cool, and I like the progression so far. I'm on the second planet and just got my base plans (I'm guessing the general steps I've followed are pretty similar with each new playthrough, with just the specific worlds/hazards/building elements changed semi-randomly). Enjoying myself so far, but I do hope at some point I manage to get enough of a foothold than I can skip around and explore with a lot less concern for life support and various meters running out too quickly. Feels like survival more than exploration so far.

Promising start, though, if that happens. Even though I didn't play it at all until now I can already tell they've polished it up pretty nicely from the original version.

there's a frog in my snake oil
Another vid that might have cross-over appeal, for anyone who's played the Garrys Mod original (Trouble in Terrorist Town). Or wants to. (You should, it's a fun mix of silly roleplay, serious guns, and sneaky tools )

Works really well in a VR environment, with extra psyches and sucker punches possible thanks to cues like head-direction, and underhand possibilities with gun-barrel directions and quick-draws etc. (It feels like there are a load of extra stunts made possible by the hand control. You could throw a weapon to an unarmed traitor to catch mid-air or whatever. Mainly it's all about looking around all innocent and waving your hands though, before the grenade goes off behind them )

EDIT: Just played some rounds which confirmed some of the above. Magazine theft was rampant . (Which is quite a nice way for traitors to sneakily disarm some innocents, so long as they don't get caught doing it...)

Okay, played for a couple of hours today. Had to start a second game because I didn't follow that I had to be out of the ship and bring up another menu to build something I needed to proceed. I had to use Google a couple of times to make sure I had the right idea, which isn't great.

That said, the moments of revelation are pretty cool, and I like the progression so far. I'm on the second planet and just got my base plans (I'm guessing the general steps I've followed are pretty similar with each new playthrough, with just the specific worlds/hazards/building elements changed semi-randomly). Enjoying myself so far, but I do hope at some point I manage to get enough of a foothold than I can skip around and explore with a lot less concern for life support and various meters running out too quickly. Feels like survival more than exploration so far.

Promising start, though, if that happens. Even though I didn't play it at all until now I can already tell they've polished it up pretty nicely from the original version.
I take it you picked survival mode? If so, the meter thing is part of the play until you end up on a planet without any of the harsh conditions that require shields (radiation, cold, heat, toxicity etc.). and even then, you will still need to keep an eye on that life support meter and refill with O2 when necessary. That one drops at a much slower rate, though. If that part annoys you to a great extent, perhaps restart in creative mode. I will mention that after a few hours, it becomes easier to get the resources you need to stay charged, as mining becomes faster/easier, and once you find a way to make money faster, you can actually just buy the resources and forego mining.

Taccy also mentioned he disliked the meters, so perhaps creative mode might be the ticket, but I feel the game is already a bit threat-light even in survival mode, so keep that in mind, also.

Glad to hear you made it in to try the game!

Yeah, I saw the various modes and I took Survival to be the "normal" one. Creative sounded a bit too soft for a first run. Maybe if I keep playing and find it tedious even once I've settled in I'll switch to that so I can just explore, but I'm totally fine with the hardships is they're more manageable as I establish myself in the world a bit. I'll play it a bit more today!

At first I was just using the plain sodium to recharge my shield, and it seemed like I had to mine almost constantly to keep up. Once I figured out that I should always be using the most refined version of every resource, things got much more efficient, so basically just had to make sure to pick all the sodium flowers when I saw them, refine the stacks of sodium into sodium nitrate, and that would tide me over for hours. The O2 doesn't get refined, but as I said, you use it as a much slower rate, so it lasts a long time, also.

Meanwhile...

Speaking of worlds with no harsh elements, I landed on a planet that was classified "rainy" last night, and lo and behold, by shield wasn't going down. Score! Slapped a base computer down, and saved up for the night. I will begin construction on my new base next time I play.

Yeah, that's good to know, I assume at some point I'll just fly around, land on some planets, and be able to find one that's really habitable? The machines I build are mostly portable?

Speaking of worlds with no harsh elements, I landed on a planet that was classified "rainy" last night, and lo and behold, by shield wasn't going down. Score! Slapped a base computer down, and saved up for the night. I will begin construction on my new base next time I play.
I'm kinda wrestling with whether to say some things here. So I won't

Yeah, that's good to know, I assume at some point I'll just fly around, land on some planets, and be able to find one that's really habitable? The machines I build are mostly portable?
You can have as many bases as you want, and each base has a warp gate enabling you to teleport to any other base or space station you have visited. Most of the machines are cheap to build. I carry a portable refiner and a signal booster around everywhere I go, but also have a larger refiner at my home base, as well. New base will get the same treatment.

That said, I think you can pack up a base into a some sort of base capsule and take that to rebuild somewhere else. I think...

My plan has always been to establish my main base on a really cool/nice/friendly planet, which I plan on naming after my daughter. Will probably name an entire system after her, with planet names that play into the naming contrition, as well.

I'm kinda wrestling with whether to say some things here. So I won't

Ah yes, the storms... Already went through a couple, and they weren't too bad. I'd rather have to occasionally pop into my shelter to weather some hot rain than be constantly dumping resources into my shield while I cavort about exploring.

Ah yes, the storms... Already went through a couple, and they weren't too bad. I'd rather have to occasionally pop into my shelter to weather some hot rain than be constantly dumping resources into my shield while I cavort about exploring.
Yep that's the sort of thing

I never actually found a completely benign planet, but in many ways that was cool, as having a bit of an edge about the place still felt fitting. (I seem to recall my settlement planet actually had freezing nights, along with very rare but very deadly storms, which I'd have to weather out by digging my own cave system ).

As a rule that all added a welcome kind of structure though. The day cycle was pretty sizeable so I just used it to give rhythm to my work. Explore & gather during the day, build & station teleport at night.

(The prettiest planet I ever found was completely without biological, chemical or geological threat. But had the maximum security level. I got bot mobbed if I so much as picked a flower )

Will probably name an entire system after her, with planet names that play into the naming contrition, as well.
Name the unfriendly planets Tantrum and Poo-Strocity

(The prettiest planet I ever found was completely without biological, chemical or geological threat. But had the maximum security level. I got bot mobbed if I so much as picked a flower )
I tend to go into GTA mode when the bots turn red. I start blasting them until it gets to be too much and then I ever so courageously jump in my ship and head off planet to hid...I mean, assess the situation.

I tend to go into GTA mode when the bots turn red. I start blasting them until it gets to be too much and then I ever so courageously jump in my ship and head off planet to hid...I mean, assess the situation.
Hah, yeah that's normally how it went down for me too. Although I always tried to go with my 'zip down an alley' instincts from GTA first. Would hide from them until the heat dialled down whenever I could. But skulking in bases was dull, so I was forever trying to jump-pack away and burrow emergency hidey-holes instead, as it felt more dramatic. It was normally a good hill to die on, as it turned out

The People's Republic of Clogher
The best game of 2018 is coming to PC. I'm stoked that more people will get to experience it.

It's a special special thing.