Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

The Birth Of A Nation (D.W. Griffith, 1915)

Technically accomplished but tbh also the birth of a few yawns in Part One for me

'Midsommar' (2019)

I can't help compare it to Hereditary. And the bottom line is - it is not as good.
I'm going to try and see it this weekend, despite my indifference to Hereditary. Hoping for the best

Weird is relative.

The Burial of Kojo (2019)

This was presented through the eyes of a young preteen girl, who believes in magic and mysticism. I think that the audience should be able to grasp the truth of what happens, although it is still rather confusing because we aren't shown the outcome with the villain. It was nonetheless interesting to see a scenic snapshot of Ghana, as they make very few "cinematic" films (mostly settling for low-budget soap-operas that are released on YouTube).

Amèlie - 2001

Always saw this on people's top movies on here. Really didn't know much about it. Didn't even know it was a French movie. Very entertaining and quirky. Has a sweetness to it that was much needed. Visually stunning as well. Sitting there the whole movie trying to place the lead actress, she looked familiar. Looked afterwards, she was in The DaVinci Code. She was wonderful. She can really tell a story with her eyes. I am an introvert myself so her portrayal of one really hits close to home and will stick with me for awhile. I can make plenty of friends and have and people enjoy being around me, but I've always preferred being alone. Going sound like a big dumb American but I'm surprised this hasn't been remade in English/Hollywood. This would translate well for an American audience. I really enjoyed it but some things just get lost in translation to me when I watch a foreign flick.

Anyways I'd give it a 3.5 out of 5.

101 Favorite Movies (2019)

Network - 1976

Lol well I finally figured out where "I am mad as hell and I'm not going take it anymore" finally came from. Man isn't this movie just as timely as ever. Very well acted all around. Some really great scenes in this movie. I can see why it is such a classic and won all those awards. But it suffers the same fate as many old classic movies I watch, from my perspective, it can drag. This is probably best saved for another post for another day but I just feel like Hollywood found a way to better keep your attention in the 80s and mastered it in the 90s. It's like they tighten movies up after that period. It's a rare feat for a movie prior to 1980 to not have me looking at my clock wondering when it's over. This sounds like I am killing it but I'm just from a different generation I suppose. Doesn't mean I can't appreciate its greatness, I'm just not wanting to jump back in and watch it again. Happy I watched it. Hard to explain. Bet anything this gets remade within 5 years because of its revelance.

Anyways I'd give it a 3 out of 5.

'The Mustang' (2019)

Directed by Laure de Clermont-Tonnerre

A frustrating film. Could have been a real gem but the script just isn't quite nailed - some of Bruce Dern's dialogue I found a bit hokey and some of the more melodramatic scenes felt a bit too forced and maybe rushed.

The positives are that it looks gorgeous, Gideon Adlon (Pamela's daughter) was pretty good with her limited screen time, and there are some lovely moments (the best of which is with real life convict horse advocate Thomas Smittle). The duality of Matthias Schoenaerts' character (Roman) being so similar to a wild Mustang in the horse program was done quite well. And I thought the ending was beautiful.

6.7/10

Snooze factor = Zzz

Snooze factor = Z

[Snooze Factor Ratings]:
Z = didn't nod off at all
Zz = nearly nodded off but managed to stay alert
Zzz = nodded off and missed some of the film but went back to watch what I missed
Zzzz = nodded off and missed some of the film but went back to watch what I missed but nodded off again at the same point and therefore needed to go back a number of times before I got through it...
Zzzzz = nodded off and missed some or the rest of the film but was not interested enough to go back over it

Didn't get around to 1776 yesterday, but did squeeze in a couple of re-watches yesterdayt:

The slick and suspenseful screen adaptation of the Broadway smash by Ira Levin which features masterful direction by Sidney Lumet and an eye-opening performance from Christopher Reeve.

#1 on my list of favorite Adam Sandler performances...this re-thinking of Mr. Deeds Goes to Town provides sparkling comedy throughout thanks to Steven Brill's sharp direction, Sandler's goofy charm and a superior supporting cast including Winona Ryder, Peter Gallagher, John Turturro, and Conchata Farrell.

Will try to get around to 1776 before the weekend is out.

Kind of a road trip movie if that road trip involves a couple of hit men transporting a mob rat and a kidnapped woman across Spain. Not much action, a bit of a talky, but very interesting and never dull.

It's been awhile since I sat down to watch this. I still think it's the best overall movie in the series (high bar, right?) but Pt. 2 is still my favorite.

Not bad. Sandra Hüller (the star of Toni Erdmann) is a terrific actor.

Midsommar
(2019)
3.5/5
Well, what can I say? I'm a true fan of the original "The Wicker Man". I compare this film to the OTWM and Robin Hardy's "The Wicker Tree". Each film has developed over the age of the film. However, my heart still goes to the original pagan cult movie. There were similar aspects of this film to "The Wicker Tree" in this movie. I was expecting a bit more from this film. The gore was good but not great. The story was about the same as "The Wicker Tree". I enjoyed this and it made more sense to me than "Hereditary due to that I understand the rituals of Western Civilization Occultism vs Mid Eastern Occultism. Overall, it was enjoyable.

I really enjoyed seeing the face on the teen boys sitting not so far from me on certain scenes. It was laughable.

The gore was good but not great.
I dunno girl, that shot of
WARNING: spoilers below
The girls torn away face after her body falls from the rock

was probably the most graphic thing I've seen from a modern film in a LONG time.

Brightburn 2019

Philomena 2013

Do you know what a roller pigeon is, Barney? They climb high and fast, then roll over and fall just as fast toward the earth. There are shallow rollers and deep rollers. You can’t breed two deep rollers, or their young will roll all the way down, hit, and die. Officer Starling is a deep roller, Barney. We should hope one of her parents was not.