The Plague that is growing amongst modern movies...

Tools    

What we got here, is a failure to communicate...
As a matter of fact, acting plays a HUGE role in comedy. A really good joke can be god awful if it's not delivered correctly so believe it or not, the ability to act is even more crucial in comedy and satire than it is in drama. Because at least in a drama bad acting can become ironically funny, but trying to be funny and failing to do so is just sad and painful and watch.

The acting in comedies (at least in a lot of comedies) are often exaggerated to enhance the joke. That exaggeration is what takes me out of the movies/shows more then anything else. If you compare Charlie Chaplin slipping on a banana peel versus someone just slipping in real life. The 2 will look completely different. The other one is like a theater performance, I don't like theater.

I rather have a comedy like "Meet The Parents" instead of "Elf" because the Meet the Parent one doesn't remove me from the film. However both are categorized as comedies. See what I mean?

...Even if every human on earth hated the Coherence movie, it wouldn't alter my opinion on how I felt towards it. Most people hated the movie "North", but I do like it.
That's cool. I never try to tell people that their own personal opinions are wrong for them.

BTW welcome to Movie Forums! This is a cool site

The truth is in here
I personally love a wacky comedy pulled off well. But it all comes down to the talent of the performers. If the actors are cringeworthy to watch or simply don't put any effort in at all, I won't have fun either.

A great example of a movie with exaggerated characters and dialogue I still found myself invested in is The Birdcage. Robin Williams, Nathan Lane and Hank Azaria perfectly balance the line of absurdity and believability. Lane's character getting emotionally hysterical never becomes too much, instead I'm just laughing at how he delivers the material.

What we got here, is a failure to communicate...
I personally love a wacky comedy pulled off well. But it all comes down to the talent of the performers. If the actors are cringeworthy to watch or simply don't put any effort in at all, I won't have fun either.

A great example of a movie with exaggerated characters and dialogue I still found myself invested in is The Birdcage. Robin Williams, Nathan Lane and Hank Azaria perfectly balance the line of absurdity and believability. Lane's character getting emotionally hysterical never becomes too much, instead I'm just laughing at how he delivers the material.

Didn't care for that movie. Even though I love those actors. Too each there own tho.

A bucket of anxiety
I rather have a comedy like "Meet The Parents" instead of "Elf" because the Meet the Parent one doesn't remove me from the film. However both are categorized as comedies. See what I mean?
Well, there are a different types of comedy for different types of humor, however, even if you over-exaggerate in a comedy you still have to do it well.

Make a better place
I think I get what you mean, and I can't stand it too

I know it's very hard for you to explain it and that's why I cannot elaborate more

I just wanted to say that I get you and I agree

I think I get what you mean, and I can't stand it too
I know it's very hard for you to explain it and that's why I cannot elaborate more...
I seen it in a movie last night, I'd call it, 'contrived writing.'

I knew/know what @ironpony meant by poetic. Maybe eloquent is the slightly better word. This is just part of the nature of writing compelling dialogue. The way people really talk is not worth our time, not worth having us sit down and listen to it. Movie characters are routinely cleverer and more intelligent than even clever and intelligent people are in real life, day-to-day. Movies in general are heightened reality, really. I think that's fine, at least potentially.

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
One show I can think of with more realistic dialogue is Breaking Bad, or the dialogue is definitely not Aaron Sorkin eloquent.

[quote Speaking of time travel films, I just seen a couple of lemons: Coherence and Timecrimes. Have you seen those?

I love Coherence! What didn't you like? I actually think Coherence is one of the best independent low budget movies. You could literally shoot that movie for almost no cost, but yet it's amazing. (In my opinion at least) Did not see Timecrimes because I don't watch movies that aren't in english. It's a pet peeve of mine. Hate me for it if you must but I hate missing out on details cause I have to read subtitles, so I don't bother with it.

Thanks for the link. I'll give it a whirl.

To name a few time travel movies I like>

Time Lapse. (give that a go if you haven't seen it) Butterfly Effect, Frequency, (obviously) Terminator, (obviously) Donnie Darko, Safety Not Guaranteed.

Butterfly Effect is great, but only if you watch the original ending (not the theatrical one). Predestination is really fantastic.

Yes I am in fact a guy lol. I thought the user name CoolhandLuke might give it away, but to fix any misconception I am a male.

Even if every human on earth hated the Coherence movie, it wouldn't alter my opinion on how I felt towards it. Most people hated the movie "North", but I do like it.

Really? You like "North"? Why?

(We watch it every few years for my Bad Movie Night.)

Edit: We do Bad Movie Night every week, not every few years. It is just that "North" only finds itself being watched for Bad Movie Night every few years.

I love both "A Funny Thing Happened on the way to the Forum" and "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World" even though the actions in both movies are very over-exaggerated because the actors' and actresses' performances are so good that they manage to pull off the performances beautifully.

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
Butterfly Effect is great, but only if you watch the original ending (not the theatrical one). Predestination is really fantastic.
I thought that the theatrical ending was better, but I guess I'm in the minority on that one maybe. I gotta see Predestination which a lot of people say good things about.

Since when did most comedies have believable dialogue? The very fact of being a comedy would suggest you're not seeing a slice of real life, as in a serious drama, but you're watching something for amusement so there's not a real need for totally believability. Though perhaps it's lazy writing that you're noticing and in that case I'd say yup there's a lot of lazy writing in movies/TV these days.
I think you could have a case though if you said mainstream Hollywood comedy has shifted over the last 20+ years. I would say that the rise of Jim Carrey especially seemed to start off a trend of more exaggerated performances/characters in the genre.

Yup Jim Carrey certainly has a style of hyper exaggeration in his comedies. I like him BTW. But then there's always been very exaggerated performances/characters in comedies. I mean Jerry Lewis and The Three Stooges are two prime examples.

But after reading this thread (which has been very interesting) I think the OP was commenting on fakey sounding dialogue for a character, when taken in context for the type of movie it is. That's kind of hard to define though, I suppose some movie clips would help...

I just watched Miss Sloane (2016) and I though it had really fakey contrived sounding, written dialogue. Here's a prime example and bear in mind this is suppose to be a hard hitting realistic drama about the inner workings of political lobbyist.

A bucket of anxiety
I just watched Miss Sloane (2016) and I though it had really fakey contrived sounding, written dialogue. Here's a prime example and bear in mind this is suppose to be a hard hitting realistic drama about the inner workings of political lobbyist.
I think you really nailed it because I could not finish the first minute
However, I see what you mean by the writing playing a huge part in "the plague," because I've been able to sit through this kind of acting with the help of good dialogue and a well paced story.

As far as all the comedy talk though..it REALLY depends on what your watching. Not all comedies are over the top silly like Jim Carey. Some comedies are dry and tell their jokes through witty comments and sarcasm.

Yup Jim Carrey certainly has a style of hyper exaggeration in his comedies. I like him BTW. But then there's always been very exaggerated performances/characters in comedies. I mean Jerry Lewis and The Three Stooges are two prime examples.
Carrey during the 90's I didn't have a problem with but mainstream US comedy as a genre has I think become progressively less interesting with the focus on that kind of performance over everything else.

The Ghostbusters remake seemed like a classic example of that to me, had little to do with the gender switch and a lot to do with the original being more focused on witty banter at least somewhat in character.