The 19th Hall of Fame

Tools    

Let the night air cool you off
They weren’t bad, the editing and movements just got kind of old.
Man, those were the best parts of the movie. Different strokes for different folks and all that, but to me the editing and movements and things like blood splatter and sound and something like how weird the dimensions of the ring looked in the fight when he beats Sugar Ray were so interesting. Scorsese made them all different and more metaphorical than realistic. When he fought Ray and beat him there was a long ring and felt more wide open and free, but fighting Janiro he was pissed and most of the time the camera hugged LaMotta tight and like neither he or Janiro had a chance to get away from with LaMotta's insecurities and jealousy.

But you gave the movie 5 stars, so maybe I shouldn't be trying to convince you to give it 6.

Open Range

I’ve never much liked Westerns, but this one wasn’t bad. The plot was interesting enough, and I loved Boss and Charley. But I think a lot of it was unnecessary and bloated, like the ending that dragged on and on. The first half is definitely the best, it sets up characters and motives beautifully. The cinematography was also great. However, other than Kevin Costner, I don’t think the acting was all that good, it felt not right most of the time, probably because of the stale script. So, even though I’ve mostly complained about it, I did end up liking this movie.

They weren’t bad, the editing and movements just got kind of old.
Man, those were the best parts of the movie. Different strokes for different folks and all that, but to me the editing and movements and things like blood splatter and sound and something like how weird the dimensions of the ring looked in the fight when he beats Sugar Ray were so interesting. Scorsese made them all different and more metaphorical than realistic. When he fought Ray and beat him there was a long ring and felt more wide open and free, but fighting Janiro he was pissed and most of the time the camera hugged LaMotta tight and like neither he or Janiro had a chance to get away from with LaMotta's insecurities and jealousy.

But you gave the movie 5 stars, so maybe I shouldn't be trying to convince you to give it 6.
Yeah, I don’t know, all that “symbolic” stuff went right over my head I guess. I still ended up loving it, but maybe I’ll pay closer attention to what you said if I watch it again.

Tombstone

This one was a pleasant surprise, I quite liked it. I thought the characters were well fleshed out (although there were a few too many and it got stretched thin) with an interesting take on the OK shootout. Especially the scenes between Wyatt and Josephine verge on philosophical, which is fresh and delightful for a Western. The second half dragged, but it was overall a fun watch.

Angel Face

This was the one movie I was the least hyped about, so I decided to quickly get it out of the way. Angel Face has some impressive actors about it, especially considering the chemistry between Robert Mitchum and Jean Simmons and their seemingly love-hate relationship. And the dialogue was perfectly written, never leaving a moment for something that didn't feel realistic. My main problem with the movie is that the movie's plot wasn't very unique. The story took some great turns (no car joke intended), but the basics of the movie didn't really add anything new noir hadn't seen yet. Other than that, great movie.

However, other than Kevin Costner, I don’t think the acting was all that good

Wow. You might be the only person on Movie Forums to ever say that about a Kevin Costner movie. :P

Wow. You might be the only person on Movie Forums to ever say that about a Kevin Costner movie. :P
Costner has always been one of my favorite actors.

I've nominated a couple of his movies for the Hall of Fame before, including Dances With Wolves which was the winner of the 13th HOF.

I also previously nominated A Perfect World. It finished somewhere in the middle of the pack, if I recall correctly, but even the people who didn't care a lot for the movie as a whole thought Costner was very good in it.

Costner is usually a good actor, if the role suits him. He owned! the role in Dances With Wolves.
Except for the voice over diary readings (if I remember right).

I liked the diary readings as far as I can remember. In general I don't know why people seem to have a problem with inner voice narrative of any kind. In most HoFs I've been in, if we hear the character's inner thoughts being vocalized, many seem to hate that, I don't. I guess that's one reason why I like the original theatrical cut of Blade Runner so much better than the Final Cut, or whatever it's called.

I liked the diary readings as far as I can remember. In general I don't know why people seem to have a problem with inner voice narrative of any kind. In most HoFs I've been in, if we hear the character's inner thoughts being vocalized, many seem to hate that, I don't. I guess that's one reason why I like the original theatrical cut of Blade Runner so much better than the Final Cut, or whatever it's called.
I’m good with it, as long as it’s done well. I thought it sounded so fake from Costner.

In most HoFs I've been in, if we hear the character's inner thoughts being vocalized, many seem to hate that, I don't. I guess that's one reason why I like the original theatrical cut of Blade Runner so much better than the Final Cut, or whatever it's called.
I haven't seen the theatrical cut of Blade Runner in so long that I don't know how I'd feel about it now, but I know I didn't hate the voice over like most people seem to. Maybe I should watch that again.

I also liked the voice over in the theatrical cut of Payback as well, and prefer it to the Straight Up edition, which is strange since usually I like the darker versions more. The original cut of Payback feels more like a noir to me, which probably helps.

I’m good with it, as long as it’s done well. I thought it sounded so fake from Costner.
Fake in what way? In what he was saying? Or in the way he said it? (as in his vocal inflections).

I haven't seen the theatrical cut of Blade Runner in so long that I don't know how I'd feel about it now, but I know I didn't hate the voice over like most people seem to. Maybe I should watch that again.

I also liked the voice over in the theatrical cut of Payback as well, and prefer it to the Straight Up edition, which is strange since usually I like the darker versions more. The original cut of Payback feels more like a noir to me, which probably helps.
I almost went with the theatrical cut of Blade Runner as my nom in the Sci-Fi HoF, but thought that it might be hard to find for others ( I have it on Blu Ray set). I haven't seen Payback or Straight Up, but usually when a character has a voice over of what they are, or were thinking, I like it.

Fake in what way? In what he was saying? Or in the way he said it? (as in his vocal inflections).

I almost went with the theatrical cut of Blade Runner as my nom in the Sci-Fi HoF, but thought that it might be hard to find for others ( I have it on Blu Ray set). I haven't seen Payback or Straight Up, but usually when a character has a voice over of what they are, or were thinking, I like it.
Kind of both. Maybe it’s just me, I don’t know.

Kind of both. Maybe it’s just me, I don’t know.
If you're interested here's a link to the 13th HoF write-up links. That's the HoF that Dances With Wolves was in. We talked about the voice over narration in some of our write ups. I just read my old review of the movie and apparently I was impressed with the reading of his journals. I actually had forgotten about that, until just now.

Dances With Wolves is one of the few films in which a voiceover actually works for me.

I think that has a lot to do with the fact that he was voicing the words that he was writing in his journal and that the journal itself was significant to some of the events in the film.

Not that any of this is relevant to the movies actually in this HOF.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Dances With Wolves is one of the few films in which a voiceover actually works for me.

I think that has a lot to do with the fact that he was voicing the words that he was writing in his journal and that the journal itself was significant to some of the events in the film.

Not that any of this is relevant to the movies actually in this HOF.
I can definitely see how thinking out loud what is written makes for a better narrative when you're not a fan of characters narrating. It definitely makes for a valid exception.

For myself, with Costner, (being late to the party) I've always enjoyed him in a larger number of films as well as his directing. Dances With Wolves being the very top of his game for both. His mixture of epic storytelling and delving into the characters' personas has always been a pleasure for me.

With Narratives, I've pretty much enjoyed them since childhood. Not sure if it was the cartoons where characters talked to the audience or the serial style oldies like Flash Gordon and the like along with shows like Batman where the Announcer teased us about "how will our hero get out of THIS one?" or even Shakespeare where the Narrator and Soliloquies were commonplace.
No idea, but I've even come to enjoy the mocking narrations like in Kiss Kiss Bang Bang.
times it can become a bit of a trope, but, like @ahwell stated,(as in anything) when done right. . . I quite very much enjoy them.

Which is an amusing irony since there is not narrating in an HoF I'm hosting, as Miss Vicky pointed out. lol

Women will be your undoing, Pépé

I was the same way. Normally I prefer the original film but I definitely enjoy Payback more.