The Videogames Tab

Tools    

The People's Republic of Clogher
I was psyched to play through FF VII again, having so many fond memories of playing it in the 90s. Alas, I got as far as Cosmo Canyon, and I had had enough. The annoying random battles and overlong summon animations got old pretty fast. This one is best left in the past, as far as I am concerned.

I have more fun playing FF III (VI), and Chrono Trigger.
Do you have the option of speeding up gameplay? I bought the re-issue on Switch a few months back and can speed things up 3X, with the option to turn off random battles completely.

A system of cells interlinked
Do you have the option of speeding up gameplay? I bought the re-issue on Switch a few months back and can speed things up 3X, with the option to turn off random battles completely.
I do not. I was playing it on an emulator on my PC that replicated the original game play. It may have had a feature to change things up, but I found myself not caring enough to go digging at that point.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I'm having fun with 7 so far. I'm only at sector 7 though this far.

Any other good old school ps1 recs? I did pick up Xenogears awhile back too.

I must have sold my copy of FF8 as I can't find one in my stash.

there's a frog in my snake oil
Star Citizen: What A Wonka

Just a bonus bit of fine detail, as this just happened, and it's such a grand example of their deranged game design:

The 3.6 update has hit the evocati (the fans who provide amateur QA for early builds).

With almost all of the actual game mechanics failing to make it, yet again, this is one of the things exciting the masses:

Trains are now on loops with multiple trains on each line, which should reduce waiting times across the board. Elevators can now move to any pad/hangar and are no longer specific to one hangar/pad. A selection of available destinations will be available via interaction at the interior elevator button panel.
Yes, they are attempting to un-dumb some of the designed transit torture a touch.

How are they fixing the much-borked elevators you ask? That infamous titan of game design that has bested so many devs. Well a year ago they proposed this:

And now it seems they've done it.

Which begs the question: What the **** are they doing?

There is literally no reason not to teleport the players & elevator, with some filler effects internally. None. None of this will even be visible (aside from the existing clipping through walls being reported). And even if it was, would it really be worth the pay-off of tracking all those twirling entities? As they queue politely, waiting for the box that selected 'Landing Platform 9' before them. (Yes they're reportedly doing that).

There is an obsession with 'physical' pseudo-realism at the top of their design hierarchy. And it means the whole thing just looks destined to remain a dream.

What a waste. God damn.

EDIT: FWIW, one theory about why they would pursue this madness is: So that the player / ship icons etc always look like they're in the right place during transit. I've no idea if that's true on any level, but it would be deeply Star Citizen if it was

I do not. I was playing it on an emulator on my PC that replicated the original game play. It may have had a feature to change things up, but I found myself not caring enough to go digging at that point.
I hear ya. Even with all the quality of life improvements, I didn't get very far this time round.

Started Metro Exodus this evening. I was never a big fan of the first two games (a more polished STALKER without the charm) but it's part of my Game Pass sub so will give it a try.

Sticking these here again as they're both 'pancake' games too

Indie-schism

I've been struggling uphill a bit with my latest indie purchases. In ways that are kinda telling about the VR game-o-sphere...

Vector 36

I knew this sim was going to have a heavy learning curve. That's why I held off buying it. And dear lord have I slammed belly first into its perpendicular planes.

I'm still kinda liking it, but it's the type of liking that requires concerted sweaty effort to gain the fleeting refreshing breezes of success. As you approach the next giant wall at speed...

A good example would be that time I bought some cooling fins:

I could afford them. They were flimsier but way better. I used the pod-building garage to slap them in the only slots they'd fit, way back on its spine. I flew my ship. It could boost for ages! While spinning in lazy concentric circles...

And this is all good. I should have noticed those fins were much longer, and that they dangled well over the back of the ship. I started to notice. I tilted them into new and pleasing shapes...

I raced. I raced better. In that I no-longer flew only in circles. I had essentially destroyed the handling of my ship with my new toys, making it oversteer like a bastard, but eager boosting was keeping me just about on track. Until my boost over-heated, and I realised my ship preferred to fly down at a 30 degree angle when not encouraged onwards by rocket fuel...

Back to the drawing board. Where I moved some more weight to the centre. Adjusted the back jet for more lift. Got it to shudder with something closer to very-noisy-grace over the surface of Mars. Hit a pillar at high speed. Lost all my money...

As someone with an instinctive ability to 'detune' cars when given the opportunity, I knew all of this would happen. Essentially I've managed to make my pimped-out starter chariot a fair bit worse than the starter build. But I think I know where I went wrong. And I'm still game to try more...

It's just I suspect, long-term, it's not going to be quite my game. And I only chose to jet up this hill because more ditzy options weren't available :/

---

The Spy Who Shrunk Me

This cartoon stealther is daft broad-brush fun . It doesn't feel like it's going to broaden its gameplay palette hugely, or stack its surprises, but something about scampering between chair legs and teleporting onto table-tops is still cute and amusing with the 'realistic' VR scaling.

It's still fun to find out that a tiny miniaturised banana will trip up a giant security guard. Slightly more worrisome to find that picking up a tiny security guard while miniaturised yourself turns him into a giant spaghettified mess. Which then explodes. (Possibly the cheekiest example of 'bug as feature' that I've seen )

Unfortunately I've just hit a level where I've fallen through gaps in the scenery, and out of the world, 4 times now. While otherwise nailing a perfect run. (Or in one case, nailing 'running away screaming from a hail of bullets'...)

Meh. And it's out of early access and everything

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
I've found my rhythm in RDR2 and im enjoying it for the most part. I've just discovered pelt quality is connected to how you kill the animal. That's neat. Fill it with holes and you get poor quality. Clean kill shots give good+. Still no idea on stalking and using the tracking feature but may be one day.

I get annoyed trying to loot during missions. I guess I'm not supposed to. Travel time is a bit much as I'd like to do two or three things per login. That's down to one mission OR a few hunts.

Still enjoyable though.

I've found my rhythm in RDR2 and im enjoying it for the most part. I've just discovered pelt quality is connected to how you kill the animal. That's neat. Fill it with holes and you get poor quality. Clean kill shots give good+. Still no idea on stalking and using the tracking feature but may be one day.

I get annoyed trying to loot during missions. I guess I'm not supposed to. Travel time is a bit much as I'd like to do two or three things per login. That's down to one mission OR a few hunts.

Still enjoyable though.
It's also connected to how many of the animal you've studied and hunted. You'll eventually be able to see the quality of pelt when you've zoomed in with a scope.

Oh, and the legendary animals don't mind how much lead you fill 'em with. Go nuts!
How do I tell what's legendary or not? I've only encountered the first bear that you confront during an early mission, but I had no idea it was "legendary" at the time. Are there only one-offs of those? I mean, kill it once and that was your only chance?

I'm sooooo sick of getting poor skins lol. I got my first "good" last night off a head shot and I guess it kind of clicked. I've noticed scoping animals will show their status. Not through a glass scope yet. BTW, it takes FOREVER to kill anything in this game lol. I guess I need to use Dead Eye more for specific targeting. I never had to in RDR1 except for the few missions that forced it. Right now I'm putting 3 shots to the chest and they're still hopping around. And that's the people! Animals just looking at me funny then walk on.

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

You'll get a pop-up when you enter a legendary animal's area. Then you'll have to track it - All this really means is to go into Witchervision and find three glowing bits of evidence that the animal was there, which should be pretty close at hand.

If you've already popped a legendary animal quest inadvertently, the picture of the animal should be on your map accompanied by a fetching crown. Go back there and get em!

Re actually killing things - Rolling Block rifle should be good enough. I'm one shotting bison in RDR online these days with a sniper rifle.

You should eventually get a Dead Eye upgrade which highlights the parts to shoot in order to get a clean kill, and you can use that alongside the perk which identifies what class the animal is. You'll still see a lot of 'poor' ones, but the 'good' and 'perfect' should be around too.

Actually, you might not be far enough on in the story yet to have unlocked that stuff. Progress is definitely gated and you'll know when you're ready for a legendary beast - There's a specific quest.

I did the legendary bear quest with the old guy from camp I thought would have a heart attack. He gave me his rifle, left, and I finished the hunt. From there, I found the nearby trapper to make a goofy hat out of it. Huh. So I guess there's a whole outfit, which would imply I can kill a legendary bear a few times at least. I guess.

Anyway, that was several missions ago. I've now worked my way into a legendary area. I assumed it was a default permanent area on the map where all legendaries roam. Probably wrong about that. But yeah, this will only be my second legendary hunt, and my first that's not in-mission. I do not have the organ highlights yet when hunting but I have bought the Springfield bolt-action rifle + medium scope, and have upgraded my ammo types all around. I can ID the level of the animals, or at least some of them. I can't remember. Maybe I have to study more to gain more with the new animals that I find. The scoped rifle helped me get a head-shot on a few elk where I noticed the quality of the skins went up to good. That got me thinking there was a correlation and started my rant here.

Things have opened up a good bit for me. I still just would like to pull off 2-3 runs of something in the 20-30 minutes I have to hop on most nights!

Thanks for the help, btw.

Yep, studying and killing animals is a prerequisite for learning the clean kill areas, as well as unlocking the legendary version.

I've done about 2 thirds of the legendaries, and maybe 80% of the legendary fish. I've unlocked a number of the clothing items you can make from the pelts but haven't got a full set yet.

I do, however, own just about every nice coat in the game.

An Admission:

I have been playing some 'flat games'. I've been playing couch co-op with my kidling

I foolishly slammed some Lego demos on the old 360 back when he was 5, and he was hooked...

Now we've played through all of the classic Star Wars movies together... (Bought for £11. Rather than the full 6 movies, for £11. Because I have standards...)

Currently we're playing through all the Pirates of the Caribbean movies. And it's both great and source of looming gamer guilt

PROS
  • Giggling over glitches, physics foolishness and wonky team-work has been grand . There are a ton of lovely touches in these games that really let all that flow, from eccentric character abilities to nicely interactive settings.
  • He's kinda learned patience in adversity from it at points with the puzzles. (Although we've got close to some mini rage quits too )
  • There's some lateral thinking in there, and pitched at such a level that I can nudge him towards solving the tougher stuff. (And he's adapted to all kind's of nested menus and odd gaming norms with bizarre ease).
  • Teaching him to use his fledgling pocket money (kinda) wisely, getting him to read the hints, & figure out the in-game creds he needs to unlock a character, all feels like decent motivated learning.
  • He enjoys playing socially more than just bashing away at it on his own.
  • He's going along with my 'Big Thing to Remember About Games' preach: 'Have some fun, then call it a day. Go enjoy something else.' He was resistant, but he's fairly cool with it now, and can do it off his own back.

CONS
  • Lovely as the games are, there are soooo manyyy rote gamey tropes in there that feel like they're dubious hooks below the frothy surface. Repetitive smashing, mindless coin collecting, fire-walled fun, endless unlocks, grind, grind, grind....
  • I feel like my thrifty life lessons are slightly backfiring. In that he couldn't afford another game for months, so he was just left grinding out Ghost Yoda for agessss. And not really getting anything out of it. But doing it. Mehhh. :/

Not sure how everyone else's Steam sale is going, but I'm feeling like I should put a child lock on the site now...

Only 6 games, averaging out at about £10 each. But I just started with 1 dammit

Not sure how everyone else's Steam sale is going, but I'm feeling like I should put a child lock on the site now...

Only 6 games, averaging out at about £10 each. But I just started with 1 dammit
Oy. I can't wait to look and see which games I bought during last year's sale are on our sale again, cheaper, which I still haven't played.

Oy. I can't wait to look and see which games I bought during last year's sale are on our sale again, cheaper, which I still haven't played.
Firefox Add-On plz

In fairness I'm stacking up a whole fresh layer of backlogs with VR. But I'm sure I'm gonna get through this one, because the VR bang-for-buck is still bad, and I'm still tight

(I'm totally not gonna get to half of them am I...)