Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

The Professor and the Madman (2019)

This is a serious film about a subject which, while fascinating, tends to be dry. It will not appeal to action film lovers, but many will find it interesting and absorbing. I did. The critics panned it, while the audiences liked it.

For 20 years Mel Gibson had owned the rights to the book by Simon Winchester on which the film was based:
The Surgeon of Crowthorne: A Tale of Murder, Madness and the Love of Words. It's film development started in 2016, eventually featuring Mel Gibson, Sean Penn, Eddie Marsan, Natalie Dormer, and Steve Coogan. It was directed by Farhad Safinia (as P.B. Sherman).

The central story concerns the Scot Scholar, Sir James Murray (Mel Gibson), who in 1879 took on the gargantuan task of chronicling each and every word in the English language into what is known since as the Oxford English Dictionary. The initial project ended up taking 10 years, and the final 12 volume set was not completed until 1928.

But the main focus of the film is on the assistance to the project by Dr. W.C. Minor (Sean Penn), a physician and scholar, who had heard about Murray's call for help, and had independently created 10,000 word usages which were eventually sent to Murray.

Murray went to visit Minor during Minor's residence at Broadmoor Criminal Lunatic Asylum, which formed a large chunk of the story. A parallel story was Minor's relationship with the widow (Natalie Dormer) of a man he had mistakenly shot dead during a schizophrenic episode.

The outstanding performance was from Sean Penn in a role whose breadth must have been impossible for Penn to turn down. In fact his assent for the role may have guaranteed funding. He will certainly get an Oscar nomination, and along with the benefit of his SJ cred, might just snap off the award.

There wasn't a weak portrayal in the cast. Gibson was believable with his Scot accent, and had the requisite gravitas to carry the main character. Dormer was first rate as the widow. Eddie Marsan and Steve Coogan were flawless in their roles.

There was some cinematic license taken with the real life story, but in the main the production gave a fair historical representation. Even Minor's self mutilation was truthful, so the sanguinary among you have something for which to look forward.

Doc's rating: 7/10
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	imageedit_1_7657044094.jpg
Views:	508
Size:	114.6 KB
ID:	54965  

You mean me? Kei's cousin?

The Taking of Pelham One Two Three (1974) - First Time on Blu-ray

Okay, so, I saw Tony Scott's 2009 remake when I was 12 years old. It may have had a cast headlined by Denzel Washington and John Travolta, but for my money, it was a piece of crap. I was always interested in seeing if Joseph Sargent's original was any better and when I ran across the Blu-ray in Dollar General, it was a golden opportunity. After eight and a half years of wondering, I've finally seen Pelham One Two Three and it mops the floor with Pelham 1 2 3 in every possible way. The acting is miles better in Sargent's film, though that has at least part to do with the fact that the late great Walter Matthau and Robert Shaw, both of whom I've always been a fan of, and all the rest, have a much better script to work with. Matthau was one of the greatest for sure and he's at the top of his game here as Lt. Zachary Garber, the cop who has to negotiate with this band of psychos - one of whom, portrayed by Hector Elizondo, is a bigot. So too was Shaw, who is also in top form here as Mr. Blue, the leader of the gang, a cold and calculating man who is far more menacing than the character Travolta played in the remake. Credit also has to go to David Shire's excellent musical score, which, unsurprisingly, kicks the ass at Harry Gregson-Williams' effort on the remake. All things considered, Pelham One Two Three is a great thrill ride and if you're interested in this story, the original is where it's at for sure. Let me be perfectly clear: skip the remake; this is the one to watch.

Weekend re-watches:

Hasn't edged a bit since 1975, riveting as ever...this was # 1 on my list of favorite Al Pacino performances, he has never been better. If this film had been released another year, it would have won Best Picture, Director, and Actor, but Cuckoo's Nest was winning everything in '75 though Frank Pierson's screenplay did earn a statue.

It's the cinematic equivalent of a hot fudge sundae, but there are three performances in this film that give it enormous re-watch appeal...Stanley Tucci and Emily Blunt provide flawless support to the incredible Meryl Streep who commands the screen as lady editor/dragon lady Miranda Priestley...the actress demands attention from the viewer with a performance where she never raises her voice above a stage whisper...this is a performance that acting students should study, there are no words...

It's starting to creak a little around the edges, but Hal Ashby's stinging sexual satire is still sexy and stylish with Warren Beatty at his most appealing and Lee Grant's Oscar winning performance still holds up, as do the performances of Julie Christie and Jack Warden. Also the film debut of Carrie Fisher.

Cold Pursuit (2019)

Bit of a strange one this in that it had a very violent opening but then decided it wanted to be a Fargo-esque comedy drama. The quirky bits don't really work and TBH it would have done better as a straight revenge film.

Laura Dern was criminally underused too.

Snooze factor = Z

Compared to the other films this seemed a little 'safe'. Toned down. I was looking forwards to what the director of the latest Evil Dead(2013) and Don't Breathe would bring to this film but I was a little disappointed.

Second viewing -

Snooze factor = Z

[Snooze Factor Ratings]:
Z = didn't nod off at all
Zz = nearly nodded off but managed to stay alert
Zzz = nodded off and missed some of the film but went back to watch what I missed
Zzzz = nodded off and missed some of the film but went back to watch what I missed but nodded off again at the same point and therefore needed to go back a number of times before I got through it...
Zzzzz = nodded off and missed some or the rest of the film but was not interested enough to go back over it

“I was cured, all right!”

★★★

★★★
That intro

★★

So far, worst of the year.

★★★★
Very good, that ending was heartbreaking.

★★★

★★
I believe they filmed a good film but it was killed in the edit room. Anyway, interesting concept, really bad final product.

★★★★
Rewatched, and I still believe this is a very good movie. Very frustrating. It reduces sex to what really is. Just sex. Just flesh. There's nothing complex in this like Claire Denis thinks...

"Honor is not in the Weapon. It is in the Man"

Leto (Summer): If you like the recent music biopics Bohemian Rhapsody and Rocketman, then this is one you may want to see. This is the story of 19-year old Viktor Tsoi (1962-1990), who helped pioneer a rock music revolution in the now former Soviet Union in 1981 Leningrad. The story is based on both the writers' teenage ordeals with listening to Tsoi's band Kino and the memoirs of Natalia Naumenko, who is a vital part of the film along with her husband Mike, who took the young Viktor under his wing. Has striking visuals and more. A great film!

What We Do in the Shadows (2014, rewatch) – 10/10

It may not have had the same impact the second time round, especially with regard to the FX, but I'm sticking with my first rating. It's absolute class — and best of all no sodding energy vampire .

Very interesting. Impressive woman.

Terrific movie.

Dragged Across Concrete (2018)

+

Not as good as Heat but it's that kind of crime thriller. It's a full 2 1/2 hours that takes it's sweet ass time with positive results. Plenty of tension with exciting and realistic action when it comes. The whole cast is good, even Vince Vaughn who probably does as well as he can in a dramatic role. I could have used more Don Johnson.

★★★

★★★
That intro

★★

So far, worst of the year.

★★★★
Very good, that ending was heartbreaking.

★★★

★★
I believe they filmed a good film but it was killed in the edit room. Anyway, interesting concept, really bad final product.

★★★★
Rewatched, and I still believe this is a very good movie. Very frustrating. It reduces sex to what really is. Just sex. Just flesh. There's nothing complex in this like Claire Denis thinks...

Love Payback...that movie never gets old.

Blade
(1998)
4/5

Don't care what anyone says.. its still one of the better comic movies..