The Videogames Tab

Tools    

The People's Republic of Clogher
Yeah, they've not said that it isn't episodic, as far as I know, but nothing in the written messaging mentions episodes?

I mean, they could sell an episodic FFVII for $60 a time and they know people would flock to buy it but, yeah, the PS8 is going to be out by the time they finish it.

In other news, I just bought DMC 5 in the PSN sale.

_____ is the most important thing in my life…
I'm wondering whether or not to buy the steelbook. Persona 5 showed me the light as far as a r.o.i.
I just don't see FF being that limited and worth the trouble.

Really need to finish RDR...

I have the Persona 5 steelbook but I went and bought the digital edition in a sale a few months ago because I'm too lazy to walk a few feet and put a disc in a machine.

E3 has felt flat so far. I guess it's all hands on deck for the big studios for their next gen games so 2019 sees them in a holding pattern.

So far the list of games is fairly incredible

Alien Crush
Dungeon Explorer
New Adventure Island
Ninja Spirit
R-Type
Y's I and II

Welcome to the human race...
Looked at my stack of unplayed games and decided that I'd try giving Worms W.M.D a shot. Worms Armageddon was a big favourite back in the day and so far W.M.D. comes across as a flashier (but fundamentally identical) rendition of the usual games of turn-based destruction, but then again Worms has always been one of those franchises where its core concept doesn't require a whole lot of tinkering. I'm sure it'll prove a fun enough diversion between more demanding games.

So far the list of games is fairly incredible

Alien Crush
Dungeon Explorer
New Adventure Island
Ninja Spirit
R-Type
Y's I and II
Funny, I thought of your earlier post when I saw the announcement.

You ready? You look ready.
Well, all that E3 nonsense has got me convinced that good/unique games don't exist anymore.

Glad I'm not missing anything.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

Looked at my stack of unplayed games and decided that I'd try giving Worms W.M.D a shot. Worms Armageddon was a big favourite back in the day and so far W.M.D. comes across as a flashier (but fundamentally identical) rendition of the usual games of turn-based destruction, but then again Worms has always been one of those franchises where its core concept doesn't require a whole lot of tinkering. I'm sure it'll prove a fun enough diversion between more demanding games.
Haha, Worms is definitely one of the most timeless games for me as well

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Always wanted a turboGrafx!!! Dude. Our pilot just spoke and the guy sounds like a stoner. Nothing wrong with stones. Just don't take a hit while pilo...wait. This isn't the shout box anymore.

o.O

there's a frog in my snake oil
Sticking this here because I've just twigged it works without VR too

VECTOR 36: PREVIEW

So this has a some decent potential. A pod racer sim. You get the most traction from your engines when you're near the ground, but the more you clip along the more likely the undulating, fractured surface of Mars will heft you up into the air. The game becomes about timing overheating bursts of speed, assessing terrain as you curve back down from air peaks, and skimming yourself as close to the ground as possible without smacking into dunes or outcrops. Also features much power-sliding around corners

And then it gets proper geeky. You realise you can not just buy new components (like say the main thruster at the back, or the 4 lift thrusters) but also alter their position and orientation. And there's no obvious sliding scale of excellence for them, they sit on a weight / heat / power nexus of tricksy decisions.

In line with my normal 'change the acceleration bands' efforts in driving games, my second build inexplicably tilted backwards alarmingly and saw me fly 45 degrees upwards above the track

I'm pretty sure I know what went wrong though. Pretty sure...
And hey they've just added multiplayer

Not sure if I totally reco it yet, but anyone with racer / engine-tinkering / drifter / sci-fi tendencies would get something out of it I'd think.

Welcome to the human race...
I tried playing through FF7 many years ago but I don't think I made it past the first disc for some reason (GameFAQs guides were not helpful in that regard) so I gave up on it. I may have to give it another shot at some point.

_____ is the most important thing in my life…
I seem to remember I stopped after that girl died.

I always liked VIII (HD remaster on the way) more than VII, and it was because of the art style.

I realise now that Square were working a lot of things out for the first time with VII but the differences between the cut scene, battle, exploration and world map styles were too jarring to me. VIII had a much more cohesive look.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
FF8 was my first. Loved it. I listened to all my friends pimping 7 and believed the hype right up until I put the disc in. I didn't get very far into it as it felt like a few steps back. Had I played it first I might have enjoyed it more but doubt it considering Chrono-Trigger.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
The card game is awesome on 8, especially since you actually lose a card when you lose the game. I picked up 8 on PC a while back and didn't get very far.

FF 7 I've never played but noticed it on Xbox for Ł13 so I've bought it, not played tet.

there's a frog in my snake oil
Star Citizen: Ship Sales in the Night

A deranged amount going on as usual. This is genuinely a tiny sub-set of it. (Apologies for the giant post )

No NDAs Needed:

Everyone loves a leak. Here's a fireside chat between an ex 'SQ42' dev and the ex Digital Anvil dev who hangs out on SA:

Brief post:

Had lunch with an ex-designer from the Squadron 42 studio today. But nothing groundbreaking to say other then to continue to confirm what is known

-Endlessly frustrated after a year of everything on that game changing over and over again, leading to all the work needing to be constantly scrapped or reworked. He left in total frustration

-Massive attrition constantly occurring every month

-Liked Erin but said he is a slave to his brothers insanity

-75% of the studios time is pulled to help make assets and movies with the other studios, to sell to whales

-Sandi is a very frightening woman and the studio is told in advance to just sit quietly and act really busy when she would visit. Do not even say hi to her or make eye contact. Its safer to be anonymous. Chris would be a bit more chatty but would talk down to people and handlers would usher him away if you talked for more then a few minutes.

-Did not believe the game was a pure scam at the start, just that it morphed into an unachievable product (because chris) and everyone knows that. Staff is mostly first timers who just need jobs but can’t get hired at better places.

-Chris has some odd shoelace fetish and stopped production, for a few weeks, with a large portion of the art team who needed to make them all scratch again on every boot

-Arena commander was made purely to help whales “believe” and get more funding

- Ex Designer had never heard of Derek Smart. Studio was encouraged to stay out of forums. Especially Reddit

-Did not have to sign any legally binding gag contracts when he left. Was free talk about it if he wanted but just didn’t care enough to talk in forums. Said it was just sad and depressing there and felt bad for the guys who had to remain because of no prospects elsewhere.

-Even with the switch to Lumberyard, the engine is not enough (and probably never will be) to make the MMO game that chris wants - but would be capable of making sq42 if chris ever reigned it into a scope that was possible

-Never provided any design direction to the sq42 team for mechanics or gameplay, And Is perceived as completely uneducated on game development

-Did make one joke at lunch and said “but in the end it will all be okay, because chris will code it”

There’s more but its all just blah blah blah stuff that the forum already knows. It just confirms it again
To add a little spice, the character team has quit en masse once, and a second 75% masse in the last 4 years at the England studio are in a constant state of rollovers with replacements

-Lumberyard have dropped CIG as a tier 1 preferred studio because they no longer believe it will be something that will bring the engine/amazon any future credibility. Are now betting on a couple other developers.

-No one in the studio has any clue on how chris has pulled off the funding windfall either

Progress Watch:

With focus very much on the Hail Mary pass that is SQ42 (whereby Luke Skywalker will fly in to save the day), Star Citizen itself offers up the decidedly anaemic 3.6 update. Here's what has been cut in total:

A Historical Eye:

Courtesy of SA, a look at how far short of the 2016 3.0 roadmap the current game is:

This is the only roadmap you need. Simple and easy to read! And you even have an official presentation about it!

3.0 was supposed to be out by the end of 2016 with them needing "two to three months between releases" for the next ones.

Original presentation)

Young Employee of the Month:

Zane Bien is 3 years out of uni and he's now Global UI Creative Director. Yay!

Engine Goes Into Reverse?:

Amazon Struggles to Advance in Videogame Industry

With projects getting dumped, and the rather obvious news that Cryengine isn't particularly good for the multiplayer gaming they're trying to push alongside AWS, things aren't looking great for the whole Lumberyard project right now.

Goliath Hires David:

CIG were dominating in the lawsuit. Crytek's shiny lawyers abandoned them, leaving claims of imminent CIG victory & demands for a $2mil bond unchallenged. And then some plucky IP lawyers stepped into the fold and started swinging wildly.

Crytek's Latest Plays:

A (non-IP) lawyer & space nerd assesses (video)

TLDR:
  • Crytek claim the game license is still in effect, regardless of CIG starting a fresh license with Amazon. This is new, and all kinds of fun cheekiness.
  • The Punctuation Punch: They spotted CIG's deliberate omission of a comma, smooshing two clauses together. The claim that a stand-alone SQ42 wasn't covered by the license seems strong.
  • Claims that their receipt of code fixes from CIG post-litigation proves they're making headway, and not heading for inevitable defeat.
  • If Crytek really are out for 'justice' over payouts, as they claim here, might explain why they split with their big lawyers. Not caring about the cash pot at the end of the rainbow would be a point of contention.
  • They totally dodged the key 'Crytek are broke' claims. Weakkk.

-CIG's pushback-

Waiting on the judge to rule. Bond looking likely still.

Much Adieu About Nothing:

I've kept out the accountancy, the eyebrows raised at Chris's new mansion purchase, the curious examples of past bluster and bizarre practices, and the many many bugs currently riddling the pre-alpha itself. And all the other stuff. There's always more...

Void B@stards.

It's Red Dwarf, Python, Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy and Peep Show in Roguelike form. Written by Cara Ellison and delightfully profane in parts .... and also as unfair as prime FTL in others.

A curate's egg of a game, and one which I really really want to like more.

A system of cells interlinked
I was psyched to play through FF VII again, having so many fond memories of playing it in the 90s. Alas, I got as far as Cosmo Canyon, and I had had enough. The annoying random battles and overlong summon animations got old pretty fast. This one is best left in the past, as far as I am concerned.

I have more fun playing FF III (VI), and Chrono Trigger.