If You HATE New Movies...

Tools    

The Tivoli is closed.. it closed last month I believe. I seen "The Shape of Water" there... it was one of the only two theatres that showed it. I live near KCI.

Too bad. When I lived there they had the video store attached so that the theater and the video store supported each other. I used to live across the street from the Rocky Horror Safeway. Do you know where that is? I was right behind the concert venue down there. I can't remember the name. I saw Jean de Floretta and Manon of the spring; Wings of Desire, The Moderns, Five Corners. The lady who ran the store helped me with a crash course on what to watch on video. Good time for movies.

Too bad. When I lived there they had the video store attached so that the theater and the video store supported each other. I used to live across the street from the Rocky Horror Safeway. Do you know where that is? I was right behind the concert venue down there. I can't remember the name. I saw Jean de Floretta and Manon of the spring; Wings of Desire, The Moderns, Five Corners. The lady who ran the store helped me with a crash course on what to watch on video. Good time for movies.
Not sure where the Rocky Horror Safeway is..

Not sure where the Rocky Horror Safeway is..
It's in Westport. Two or three blocks south of Tivoli. I used to be able to walk to tivoli from my apartment. .

The Rocky Horror Safeway got its name because no matter the time day or night, you were likely to run into some of the strangest people in there. Dressed funny, artsy types, scary types of people. it Takes all types I guess.

It's in Westport. Two or three blocks south of Tivoli. I used to be able to walk to tivoli from my apartment. .

The Rocky Horror Safeway got its name because no matter the time day or night, you were likely to run into some of the strangest people in there. Dressed funny, artsy types, scary types of people. it Takes all types I guess.
Thats what Westport is known for... lol especially Midtown...

Movies are art.

People get to interpret art on their own personal level.

Telling someone else they're a bigot because they don't like the same art as another person, is a form of 'thought communism'.

I don't actually wear pants.
Movies are art.

People get to interpret art on their own personal level.

Telling someone else they're a bigot because they don't like the same art as another person, is a form of 'thought communism'.
Not really. Disliking movies based solely on their age is a blind prejudice. Age is meaningless when it comes to films. Did you forget about the 50s and 60s, with all of the bad sci-fi what existed solely as analogies to the battle with Communism? And that's one example of age being meaningless. Hating a movie just because it came out in 2014 is stupid. Give it a chance.

Welcome to the human race...
And responses like that are why you don't try to bring a term like "bigot" into this particular conversation. Now everyone's going to be concerned with being offensive or defensive rather than engaging with one another.

To build on an earlier post, I think the issue is that to declare you "hate 99% of new movies" is such a broad generalisation that it's easy enough to question it. How many movies make up 99%? How new is new? How strong is the hate supposed to be (or does anything less than "it was OK" count)? The passage of time is a big factor here because the bad movies of the past get forgotten or ignored (to say nothing of the movies that are initially declared good but don't age well) while everyone experiences the bad movies of the present in real time so their badness is more readily apparent by default. For all I know, I could "hate" 99% of old movies because there are just that many out there that I haven't seen but that's not a useful way of thinking about it so I don't.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Without reading through, I think it's a safe assumption the thread title is a broad generalization. Styles and trends come and go. Is it hard to recognize that such trends would group together through technological advancements, social issues, fashion, market states or whatever? Some people may not like those trends that just happen to also be within a decade or two of production.

You can read between the lines easier than jumping and landing square onto bigotry. Unless that was a joke to stir the pot?

The Autopsy of Jane Doe

No, I don't hate new movies, but it is hard to find new movies worth talking about.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
The Autopsy of Jane Doe

No, I don't hate new movies, but it is hard to find new movies worth talking about.
Yeah, that was basically my point. I just used that word to avoid an explanation in the subject line. It is sad that there aren't movies where everyone tells you "you gotta see this", or something to blew people away. In case I didn't answer, I'll say my favorites in the last 25 years are "Buffalo '66" and "There Will Be Blood". I also liked "American Beauty", "Trainspotting", "Magnolia" but I saw all those within weeks after they came out, but I guess that was very short-lived.

Welcome to the human race...
When you phrase it like that, the sentiment is more understandable.

I do wonder if this can be (partially) attributed to changes in the media landscape over the last 25 years or so, especially when you consider the impact of the Internet and how it allows for a variety of opinions that means that people don't necessarily have to settle for subscribing to what the monoculture dictates is must-see viewing (much less whether any of it was worth seeing - I tried to think of movies I saw because everyone else saw them and raved about them and the first title I thought of was 300 for some reason, which shows why I don't really buy into the idea that losing out on "you gotta see this" movies is necessarily a bad thing). Also television got a whole lot better and proved that it could match up to film quality while also being comparatively convenient to access.

I was thinking of this thread last night while I tried to watch a new movie: Book Club (2018) I only made it 15 minutes as the character's dialogue consisted of one liner jokes and sight gags that must have been written by real world versions of Beavis and Butthead.

I'll give you an example: Diane Keaton is boarding a plane, as she's taking her seat she accidentally falls on a male passenger who grabs hers ass. Then after she's seated the engines start up and in a fit of panic she grabs for his hand, but mistakenly grabs his crotch....Later when all four women are together, one of them remark, 'I wonder what an 80 year old vagina would look like'...Yes folks, this is Pulitzer Award winning writing for sure

That's the kind of junior high school crap that passes for movie making these days. Today Hollywood movie making is seldom about the art and rarely is excellence strived for. Number crunching money men have figured the exact formula to churn out movies as fast food-profit. Today's formulaic movies are more like fluffy amusement park rides than anything that can stand the test of time and still be loved 50 years from now.

I'd love to be proven wrong and have some movie recommendations from 2018, 2019 that would change my mind.

I was thinking of this thread last night while I tried to watch a new movie: Book Club (2018)
Try "Booksmart" (2019). There are few vagina jokes in it too, but what comedy doesn't have those, these days. Good comedy, I thought.