The 2nd Science Fiction Hall of Fame

Tools    

I would think Yam would still be in.
He was definitely still following the thread up until last week, so he hasn't been MIA for nearly as long as Nathaniel. I did send him a PM to make sure he was still planning to participate, and to message me by the end of the week to let me know for sure. I'm not worried about him yet.

But since he hasn't posted any reviews, it might be best for the people who are a little behind to avoid watching his nomination for now, just in case he's too busy and does decide it'll be too hard to catch up.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Deja Vu

Tony Scott gets a lot of flack for his films but I'm perhaps one of his bigger fans because I can tell he puts a lot of hard work into his craft, with this one being no different.

I love how he pieces the film together perfectly with his score first off. It's a great film score and I really like the way the movie is filmed. I'd say the first 30 minutes or so are great. It may lose a little steam with all the time travel stuff and honestly is debatable if it would have been better off not using stuff like that, but that doesn't make it any less entertaining for me.

At the forefront is another fantastic performance from Denzel Washington, which kind of helps hide the other standard performances in the shadows.

The main reason I love it again is Tony Scott as he makes a very entertaining story come to life here. Always has been a favorite film of mine. The ferry blow up scene, shown at the beginning and at the end are done masterfully.

+

Gattaca

I really enjoyed this one. Great acting, great story, great characters. The pacing and structure got a little lost, but I think overall Gattaca was really well done. It was a good choice to make it relatively short, too, and I was engaged for all one hour and 4(6?) minutes. Ethan Hawke and Uma Thurman were fantastic as I already mentioned the acting. I loved the ideas and themes presented and suggested in the film, and so this was definitely one of my favorites in this hall of fame so far.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
He was definitely still following the thread up until last week, so he hasn't been MIA for nearly as long as Nathaniel. I did send him a PM to make sure he was still planning to participate, and to message me by the end of the week to let me know for sure. I'm not worried about him yet.

But since he hasn't posted any reviews, it might be best for the people who are a little behind to avoid watching his nomination for now, just in case he's too busy and does decide it'll be too hard to catch up.
Yam is usually last minute with getting reviews done but he's been really good about finishing (eventually lol). And I laugh because I've been very last minute for a WHOLE LOTTA HoFs lol

Either way, I've already seen Seconds and Videodrome; both of which I was pretty happy to watch and it is a shame when a good film(s) goes by the wayside.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I'll have a review up tonight, watched Deja Vu.

Suspect's Reviews

Timecrimes

Overall, this one was okay, but I liked it more than I didn't. I think the acting wasn't really that good and the main character annoyed me, but in terms of concept, I think Timecrimes is really well done. The whole idea of the paradox of time - yes, it's not original - but it's very well conceived. The actual film parts of it, like editing quality, music, screenplay, etc. were nothing special but not god awful either. So a pleasant watch, not necessarily an amazing one.

Deja Vu

A decent time travel film that forgets the time travel elements in favour of Tony Scott directed action set pieces. I like the film, but feel like it could have been a little bit more than the sum of its parts.

Washington is sent to investigate a ferry explosion and he impresses some people who are working with a secret machine that can view images from the past. They bring him on board to help find the bomber. Wait a minute, this isn't a machine that let's you view images to the past, it lets you literally see the past!!!

Washington is very likable here and the film manages to balance the sci/fi time travel stuff with action well enough until the action takes over too much. The Caviezel shoot out on the ferry was a little too much.

I like that Washington is initially mislead about the tech at the beginning. It sets up the audience being one step ahead of Washington and it's enjoyable seeing him peel away at what he believes are the lies presented to him. We know the film involves time travel an when his prints are all over her house and the blood is in the trash, we can only assume it belongs to him. So things are still falling in place, can he change it? Apparently yes. But logic gets in the way when you think about it.

The women is dead in the original timeline, so why are his things all at her place? She's on the phone with her friend with Washington there. Once he saves the woman, shouldn't that change everything? Is the film presenting the idea that she will still die, like his partner? What timeline has him investigating her death and has his presence there after he saved her? Let the debate begin.

He falls in love with a girl from the past. A cute little story that worked for me.

Deja Vu is a good Scott film, but I enjoyed other Washington/Scott collaborations more.

The women is dead in the original timeline, so why are his things all at her place? She's on the phone with her friend with Washington there. Once he saves the woman, shouldn't the change everything? Is the film presenting the idea that she will still die, like his partner? What timeline has him investigating her death and has his presence there after he saved her? Let the debate begin.

One of my favourite things to debate is time travel.

I still argue with my buddy over an episode of LOST which involves a compass given between two characters over two different time periods. They got it from each other, but where did it originate? WHERE DAMMIT!!!

@ahwell @Citizen Rules @edarsenal @John-Connor @Nathaniel @Okay @pahaK @rauldc14 @ScarletLion @Siddon @TheUsualSuspect @Yam12

We've got confirmation that Yam is still on board, but Nathaniel hasn't checked in, and his living quarters appear to be empty.

There's still some time until the ship is fully searched. But if we don't discover any clues to his whereabouts, we may have to remove him from the crew list.

I've rewatched Attack the Block, and will try to turn the quarter page of sentence fragments I have scribbled down into some proper sentences tomorrow. Sometimes I think it would be funny to just post my little notes as is, but I don't think I would ever follow through with that haha.

I'm hoping to get at least one other film done this weekend, but lately it seems as though time has been getting away from me more quickly than usual. I blame the time of year, with its extended daylight screwing up my internal clock. It always turns out to be a few hours later than I think it is.

I have links for Forbidden Planet and Robinson Crusoe on Mars. Sending them now.
Would be cool if you could also send those my way.

Attack the Block (2011)
Directed By: Joe Cornish
Starring: John Boyega, Jodie Whittaker, Alex Esmail

While it was initially hard to care about the gang of thugs and petty criminals who act as the film's protagonists, they did grow on me over the course of the film. They never quite redeem themselves, but they do prove that they have more potential than what people give them credit for. There's some commentary about the lives of underprivileged youths there, which a certain speech later in the film makes painfully obvious, but I appreciate that Cornish is generally unconcerned with making these wannabe gangsters likeable, and doesn't attempt to make excuses for their behaviour.

The film features great practical effects with minimal use of CG. The creatures' physical presence on set lends a lot of authenticity to their encounters with the main characters, since the actors have something to actually react to. Early on, only brief glimpses of the first alien can be seen, so you expect that the film will follow the trend of minimizing how much of the creature is on screen, either for mystique or to prevent the effects from looking cheap. However against expectations, the obvious puppet is amusingly placed on full display, which is a bold choice I have a lot of respect for.

While I'm not a fan of rap music and thus didn't personally like the soundtrack, I do think it was a good fit for the themes and tone of the film. The performances are all fairly strong, even from the two younger actors who sporadically make an appearance. I definitely liked Attack the Block more this time than when I saw it seven years ago, and I think having different expectations going into it definitely helped. I still have some issues with the film, but overall it was a pleasant experience, and I'm glad it was nominated since I probably wouldn't have revisited it on my own accord.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	attack.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	290.2 KB
ID:	54786