Television Tab

Tools    

A system of cells interlinked
It's back!

The truth is in here
The X-Files - The Truth

After a full year, Mulder finally shows up, and he's in more trouble than ever. After supposedly murdering a man he knocked down, he's put on an illegitimate trial where he has to prove his innocence.

Even though this season started off somewhat worryingly, it turned out to be not that bad actually. Nevertheless, I was happy to see our dear old Fox again.

You're just as creeped out as Scully when she meets Mulder in jail. Why is he acting so weird? Almost at peace with possibly getting a prison sentence or worse for something didn't do, and repeating how he's guilty of his "crimes"? Of course, it turns out they are trying to brainwash him into confessing his guilt, which as you can guess he won't. But something is still off. He asks Skinner to defend him instead of hiring a real lawyer, and he's knowingly withholding information, even from Scully. The fact that he's so un-cooperative really increases the suspense, since it's up to everyone around him to get him released instead.

The trial that follows is very intense. You keep rooting for Mulder to be proven innocent, but every single testimony, no matter how convincing, gets shut down. That includes Jeffrey Spender, despite having visible proof of government experiments performed on him. Chris Owens as usual does a great job portraying him. I liked how several characters stepped forward and explained the whole complicated mythology to the judges. Over the years it's gotten harder and harder to follow, but here it was recapped in a way that actually made some kind of sense, which is an impressive feat. Several familiar faces show up either in the form of living presences or ghosts. The most surprising one to me was Mr. X. He has such an intense presence whenever he's onscreen, showing off a more gruff demeanor than the other informants on the show.

WARNING: spoilers below
There's some nice suspense near the end when Mulder is sentenced to death, and he gets help from Skinner and some others to escape. The entire government is after him this time.

Once you find out why Mulder didn't want to tell Scully what he heard, it makes sense.
Ciggarette Smoking Man is the one who reveals that there's an alien invasion planned on December 22 2012, and that there's nothing they can do to stop it. Seeing Smoking Man so gleeful despite looking decreipt after the attempted murder simply because he knows this will finally kill both of them is eerie. Talk about someone who's evil all the way to the end.

The best parts are the episode are the scenes with Mulder and Scully. You can see how years of working together and growing affectionate of each other has developed into a beautiful, lowkey romance.
The ending with them holding each other in bed both fearing the possible alien apocalypse knowing at least they have each other is heartbreaking, but also very sweet.

The only things that didn't make sense to me were Krycek and]Kersh helping Mulder. Krycek has always been a conniving mastermind, but now since he's a ghost he's suddenly nicer? What? Kersh was characterized inconsistently, first you see him opposed to the trial and rigs it reluctantly, then he seems more than glad to bring Mulder down, and then when he's sentenced to death he helps him escape from prison.
Make up your mind, writers.

This was originally written as the series finale, and while I can see why some fans are disappointed it didn't tie up all ends, I thought it was conclusive enough I was satisfied at the end of it. I'll have to see for myself how the next two seasons fare, but as an X-Files entry in general it's excellent.

The Fall And Rise Of Reginald Perrin
series 1 (1976)
+
series 2 (1977)

series 3 (1978/9)

You mean me? Kei's cousin?

Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet (2014)

This was a really good show, better than I thought it was gonna be. It starts out with a mecha battle in space and then becomes something of an anime version of Waterworld (big fan of Waterworld, so that got my attention right off the bat) while being different enough to justify its own existence rather than a ripoff of the Costner film and more twists pour in from there. It's a got a fine story, a great cast of characters, animation is, as you'd expect of a 2014 anime, up to par, and the music isn't half-bad, either. It's well-paced and never wears out its welcome during its 13-episode run. The dub is really good, too. Alan Lee is excellent as Ledo, who's been taught nothing but war and finds himself on an Earth he was told was destroyed but which has actually been covered in water where the survivors live aboard ships. The same is true of Cassandra Lee Morris as Amy, who does her best to teach Ledo about life aboard Gargantia, the titular fleet of ships. They play off of each other especially well as the two develop feelings for each other. Julie Ann Taylor is also excellent as Bellows, the leader of the fleet's excavation team as are Patrick Seitz as Pinion, the head repairman and Luna herself Michelle Ruff as Bebel, Amy's younger brother. All the rest are also excellent and the dub script is completely natural considering the setting and the language barrier between several of the characters. I can definitely see myself revisiting this one.

InuYasha (2000-2010)

Okay, so it's actually two series, the 167-episode InuYasha (2000-2004) and the 26-episode sequel series InuYasha: The Final Act (2009-2010), but I watched them back to back and The Final Act immediately picks up where the original left off so that it's like watching a single series. With that said, how does InuYasha actually fare? Very well. The InuYasha gang's battle against evil is a compelling one and the series never wears out its welcome despite running nearly 200 episodes. It has a great story from a manga by Ranma ˝ creator Rumiko Takahashi, a great cast of characters, stunning animation, and an excellent musical score by Kaoru Wada. Seriously, they should have never changed the theme song; the first one was the only one that actually fit, but that's a minor flaw considering all that it does right. The dub is also excellent. Ranma Saotome himself Richard Cox is excellent as InuYasha, the half-demon who is initially hellbent on using the Shikon Jewel to become a full demon until his motives change during the long battle against Naraku. Funnily enough considering both are created by Takahashi, in Japanese, InuYasha is voiced by Kappei Yamaguchi who also voiced Ranma. He even says Ranma's signature, "What'd you do that for?!" on several occasions and when he transforms into a full human during the new moon, he looks just like Ranma with really long hair. Moneca Stori is also excellent as Kagome Higurashi, the reincarnation of a deceased priestess named Kikyo, as is Kira Tozer in The Final Act. Some have claimed to feel "absolute hatred" for Kagome, but I simply don't see how anyone could feel that way. Like Ranma and Akane before them, they play off of each other well ("Sit, boy!" "What'd you do that for?!"). The same is true for Ukyo Kuonji herself Kelly Sheridan as Sango, the demon slayer who wants revenge on Naraku for manipulating her younger brother Kohaku and Kirby Morrow as Miroku, the lecherous monk who wants revenge on Naraku for cursing all the males in his family, who also play well off of each other. Jillian Michaels is also excellent as Shippo, the orphaned fox demon boy who joins InuYasha and Kagome early in the series and gets himself into all manner of trouble. Happosai himself Paul Dobson is both suitably evil and threatening as Naraku, the big bad whose iniquity our heroes set out to put a stop to and suitably whiny as Myoga, the flea who is a servant to InuYasha and well-known as a coward who flees at the first sign of danger. All the rest are also excellent and the dub script is completely natural. I'll certainly be revisiting this one in the future.

Erased (2016)

This one had been on my watchlist since a little after I got into anime. I finally saw it a little while ago and Erased doesn't disappoint. It's got an excellent storyline, a great cast of characters, amazing animation as you'd expect of a series produced in 2016, and some great music. One thing that immediately caught my attention about Erased is that it combines two of my favorite types of stories: the time travel story and the murder mystery. It keeps the viewer guessing until the end and it doesn't wear out its welcome during its 12-episode run. Finding out who the killer is was enough to chill me to the bone since I was convinced it wasn't that character until he revealed himself. The dub is also really good. Ben Diskin is excellent as Satoru Fujinuma, the time-traveling protagonist who sets out to stop the murderer after finding his mother's murdered corpse in his apartment as is Michelle Ruff as the 11-year-old Satoru when he travels 18 years back to 1988. So is Sailor V herself Cherami Leigh as Airi Katagiri, Satoru's coworker and friend in the present. The same is true for Audrey Burne herself Stephanie Sheh as Kayo Hinazuki, the girl Satoru sets out to save from not only the murderer, but her abusive mother, once making it to the past. Sara Cravens is also excellent as Sachiko, Satoru's mother. So is everyone else and the dub script is completely natural. I also couldn't help noticing how visceral the scenes with Kayo's mother were, especially one where she calls Kayo a "G--damn little s--t." Something about the use of profanity and Carrie Keranen's delivery there just drives it home how abusive she is. It was so satisfying watching her get hauled off to jail. Some will probably find it jarring that the aspect ratio shifts from 1.78:1 to 2.35:1 when Satoru goes to the past, but it didn't really bother me; I thought it was an interesting way to distinguish past from present. All things considered, Erased was really good and I'll definitely be rewatching it in the future.

Am I the only one sick of listening to people who have no clue what they are talking about say things like CGI movement doesnt look real or the absolutely absurd notion that the Final Fantasy movie looks more realistic than ILMs work?

This started in the UK here last night and it didn't disappoint, first episode was a.m.a.z.i.n.g! And Suranne Jones as Anne Lister was perfect casting and the 'Fleabag' like talking and looking to the audience is a nice touch. All shot around various places near where I live - The real life Anne Lister's house Shibden Hall is just a few miles down the road from me, and they were allowed to film in the actual house apart from two rooms(Anne's bedroom, and study I believe).

I hope the quality of this continues for the whole series, adored it.

Also another series started here, watched the first two episodes of What We Do In The Shadows, loved the film and gradually warming to the series.
for both episodes so far that were shown last night.

I missed Gentleman Jack last night. Thought it was tonight.

Anyway, what am I watching atm? Neighbours, of course, the usual stuff. TBBT, Young Sheldon, The Goldbergs, Schooled, Last Week Tonight, Gogglebox, HIGNFY

SMILF, which I'm 3 episodes into and so far, so good.

Still have the last two episodes of Pose to watch (I have a problem with endings) but it is fantastic and can't recommend it enough. Also have yet to start Season 4 of Billions. Got to get back to True Detective 3 and Tin Star, too. Not too enamoured with season 2 of Tin Star to date. If it doesn't pick up it's starting to feel like something I might let go off.

I've started watching Vikings, but I'm not sure if I'll continue or not. It's very dark (as in not much light) and I don't know what to make of Gabriel Byrne's performance. I can't think of a less convincing performance from him. It's really off putting.

Season 3 of Cardinal has started. But I'm starting to wonder if I missed a season or they started at season 2 or it's simply mislabelled because I can't see how this is season 3 otherwise?

Last episode of Ghosts tonight and I've really enjoyed that. If you're a fan of Horrible Histories and want something in a similar vein but a little more grown up (but not too much) then give it a go. I liked the first episode, but it did take that episode to kind of get the feel of it. It's good though and I hope there's another series of it.

Ditto Back To Life, which also finishes tonight (though it's all on iPlayer) which I've also enjoyed and also have taken a while to get used to. If you like that 'is it a drama? Is it a comedy?' thing, then I'd certainly recommend it. Same exec producers as Fleabag, if that pushes the right buttons for you. Also, Geraldine James as the mother is fantastic.

I've been watching Robin's Nest, which I remembered as a child but didn't know it went on for as long as it did. It's a weird watch as it's very old fashioned and mostly nostalgia for something I don't remember being on as much as it was. It finishes this week which is good because it's been run into the ground by this point.

I've started watching Speechless. It's pretty good and I'd like to go back and watch what I've missed.

Unforgettable. Standard police procedural but starring Poppy Montgomery, who is someone you (and, by you, I do of course, mean I) have to watch. Especially with red hair.

Season 3 of Lucifer, which has been great and I'm thoroughly enjoying.

Taskmaster. Series 8 and, so far, it's been pretty good. A lot better than I feared and I suspect it'll go from strength to strength, which is fantastic. Hopefully this series will completely restore my faith in the Taskmaster brand and we can all put season 6 behind us forever.

Finished season 2 of The Good Place and, by Jove, they've done it again. Not only finished the season well, but set up the next and have me thinking it'll work. It's so rare that I'm happy (or care) with the way which a series ends and sets up the next that I feel I have to mention it.

Lastly, Bake Off: The Professionals, which I love and have enjoyed this series as much as I ever do. The second set of contestants start this week, so hopefully there'll be a good few more gaffs and, more importantly, lots more lovely looking patisseriess.

Had a break for a couple of years, but have returned to this addictive show.

Live In Front of a Studio Audience reprise of All in the Family
and The Jeffersons

The idea of this program sounded interesting, since I have been a fan of both shows ( more of Family as I think the writing was better and funnier) So I wanted to see how this would turn out, Basically it was one episode of each show, being re- enacted almost verbatim by a new set of actors. I couldn't see the point of this, tho other audience members may have been intrigued. And maybe for younger people who never saw the show, it could have been engaging. But for fans of the old show, it was a puzzlement as to why this was being done.

Marisa Tomei was good in channeling the voice of Edith, but the rest of the bunch didn't really capture - or match up - to the original cast. It was almost like watching a bad parody on SNL. I was nodding off halfway through the show, and sorry to have missed the interview with Norman Lear. But it would have made more sense to run the original episodes , and have Norman and some of the current actors comment on the impact of the show.

As we know, Archie was a polarizing figure ( George too)but what made the show (and even Archie and George) endearing was the family dynamics and that these characters ,
despite their political views. really cared for each other. And their verbal squabbles and jousts were just as relevant to the conversations I've been surrounded by in recent Thanksgiving dinners,etc. today.

So my reaction to this program ( after I woke up ) was to later tune into the real AITF on YouTube. Watched the one where Mike invites his hippie friends to stay over and Archie won't let them sleep in the house b /c they're not married.
High point was when Gloria tells the girl guest, who has taken a vow Iof silence ( for no discernible reason), and argues by shaking her head to disagree - ' Shut Up Robin' lmao

Hilarious . Great writing, great performances. No one jmho can touch the original cast ( so why try?)

Well if the point of this reboot show was to encourage me to rewatch the reruns- well done.

Otherwise, this is one instance where I say-

Don't try to mess with a classic.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
and The Jeffersons

The idea of this program sounded interesting, since I have been a fan of both shows ( more of Family as I think the writing was better and funnier) So I wanted to see how this would turn out, Basically it was one episode of each show, being re- enacted almost verbatim by a new set of actors. I couldn't see the point of this, tho other audience members may have been intrigued. And maybe for younger people who never saw the show, it could have been engaging. But for fans of the old show, it was a puzzlement as to why this was being done.

Marisa Tomei was good in channeling the voice of Edith, but the rest of the bunch didn't really capture - or match up - to the original cast. It was almost like watching a bad parody on SNL. I was nodding off halfway through the show, and sorry to have missed the interview with Norman Lear. But it would have made more sense to run the original episodes , and have Norman and some of the current actors comment on the impact of the show.

As we know, Archie was a polarizing figure ( George too)but what made the show (and even Archie and George) endearing was the family dynamics and that these characters ,
despite their political views. really cared for each other. And their verbal squabbles and jousts were just as relevant to the conversations I've been surrounded by in recent Thanksgiving dinners,etc. today.

So my reaction to this program ( after I woke up ) was to later tune into the real AITF on YouTube. Watched the one where Mike invites his hippie friends to stay over and Archie won't let them sleep in the house b /c they're not married.
High point was when Gloria tells the girl guest, who has taken a vow Iof silence ( for no discernible reason), and argues by shaking her head to disagree - ' Shut Up Robin' lmao

Hilarious . Great writing, great performances. No one jmho can touch the original cast ( so why try?)

Well if the point of this reboot show was to encourage me to rewatch the reruns- well done.

Otherwise, this is one instance where I say-

I watched the Live In Front of a Studio Audience reprise of All in the Family and The Jeffersons too, and I agree with just about everything you said about it. The only actors who I thought did a good job were the ones who played Edith, George, and Lionel. I thought the weakest link was Woody Harrelson as Archie Bunker. He didn't make me think of Archie at all, and even made me want to turn the show off a few times.

I thought the Jeffersons half was much better than the All in the Family half, even though I was a much bigger fan of All in the Family years ago.
WARNING: "SPOILER about "The Jeffersons Live"!!!" spoilers below
Although I thought Wanda Sykes would have been perfect as Florence, I thought the surprise guest appearance by Marla Gibbs as Florence was a nice touch.

They did a similar thing to this a couple of years ago here in the UK, but they made a new episode of a number of much loved classics with new casts.

https://www.digitalspy.com/tv/a80414...idge-and-more/

The one for Porridge went on to have a full series.

“I was cured, all right!”

Season One ★★★★★
One of the best endings in a TV show ever. Rewatched the first season in preparation for the movie, will start season 2 soon.

Season One ★★★

Season One ★
Terrible acting, lame script, terrible show.

Currently watching/starting this weekend:

Season One ★
Terrible acting, lame script, terrible show.
I LOVE this show. IIRC new season starts in about a week. Can’t wait.

I'm not old, you're just 12.
It's Saturday night, that means it's time for Svengoolie! I don't know if I've talked about the show before, but it's one of my favorites. A total throwback to the horror hosts of the 60's and 70's, Svengoolie is a rotund man in skull make-up and a tux who exits from his coffin at the start of every show and introduces a classic (or sometimes not so classic) horror or sci-fi flick. Throughout the show he tells viewers about the movie, makes jokes and does comedy skits, and sings a song based on the film's plot. Sometimes he will have a guest visit, like Rob Zombie, Gilbert Gotfried, or former WWE wrestler CM Punk, and he does interviews with horror stars past and present. It's corny, cheaply produced, and incredibly fun to watch. Tonight's film is the intriguing sounding "Billy the Kid Vs. Dracula."

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”
I had heard a lot of good things about Chernobyl and was looking forward to it. Then I heard about the animals.

and The Jeffersons
Nice write-up, LL. I had my suspicions about this show. You've confirmed them, so I'll be able to skip it.

We're long overdue for a series that would poke fun at the ubiquitous silly-ass PC and SJ of our current times. But trying to refresh near perfect classics is the wrong choice.

~Doc

I had heard a lot of good things about Chernobyl and was looking forward to it. Then I heard about the animals.
Yikes. Animals?

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”
Yikes. Animals?
From what I heard there is some animal aftermath. Animals being hurt is one of the few things I have problems seeing.