Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Welcome to the human race...
Eden Lake -

looking at my old review and trying to determine where exactly I draw the line between a 0.5 and a 1 (the review has some flaws with the writing, but I still stand by a good chunk of it)

Oasis (2002)

What a brilliant film and an amazing story. Performance by So-ri Moon who's character has severe cerebral palsy, is honestly astonishing. One of the best Korean films I've seen so far.
WOW! I took your recommendation and watched Oasis last night. It's easily one of the best films I've experienced in the past couple of years. I can see why this film won so many awards, and in specific how the female lead, So-ri Moon, won the Marcello Mastroianni award at Venice!

Ironically I almost bailed after the first 5-10 minutes, thinking that I had no interest in a tale about some simpleton. But all of a sudden the story drew me in, and by the time he encountered the disabled girl, I was hooked.

It's not my usual cup of tea to volunteer for emotional connection with sorrowful or unfortunate characters. But Moon's overwhelming portrayal of Gong-ju Han, a young woman with severe spastic cerebral palsy who has been more or less banished to a small apartment by her family so that her brother can cheat the welfare system, grabbed me pretty hard.

The other breathtaking performance was by Kyung-gu Sol, who plays a mentally disabled free spirit who was just released from penitentiary for a crime he didn't commit, but who seeks out the family of the person killed in an auto accident by his brother. In a way Sol's portrayal was even more invested than was Moon's.

The actions of each of the pair, along with their interactions together, are some of the finest and most moving portrayals that I've seen.

The writing and direction by Chang-dong Lee is of the highest caliber, as is the film's immediate supporting cast. My only minor detraction would be the ending, which could have been resolved differently, but yet was acceptable. In fact one could imagine a sequel, but since the film was from 2002, that's very unlikely.

Based on this work, I'll be investigating other pictures by Lee, Moon and Sol.

I agree with your rating, SL: 9/10 from me.

Billion Dollar Brain (Ken Russell, 1967)
+
Sadly only about a five dollar plot though

It's a good country, better now without Fidel Castro.
Is it? I don't agree, but is just an opinion.
I start to see the decay of a good project, a project started by the Castro's and there supporters. A project that only endured for so many years because Cuba doesn't have the oil resources most South American countries have. A project that gives a example to the world what health care, education and science should be all about. A society without competition that originated poets on the loose, what we should all be, not a piston easily replaceable competing for everything we do.

Goodbye Uncle Tom (1971)

"They have finally done it: Made the most disgusting, contemptuous insult to decency ever to masquerade as a documentary."

-Roger Ebert

Supposedly it's one of those fake documentaries but it plays like a regular movie. It's blaxploitation to the extreme with several sick and disgusting scenes. It's also groovy and funny. I'm surprised it's not more we'll known.

Hell Fest 2018

surprisingly good if mindless slasher flick set in a horror themed amusement park

Do you know what a roller pigeon is, Barney? They climb high and fast, then roll over and fall just as fast toward the earth. There are shallow rollers and deep rollers. You can’t breed two deep rollers, or their young will roll all the way down, hit, and die. Officer Starling is a deep roller, Barney. We should hope one of her parents was not.

Seven Blood-Stained Orchids (1972) N

Rather mediocre giallo that isn't bad by any means but really has nothing to set it apart from the competition either. The plot itself is above average but I don't think Lenzi managed to use its potential too well. An easy watch for giallo fans nonetheless.

Felix In Hollywood (Otto Mesmer, 1923)

Modest animation short that has a few amusing moments along the way

Kid Boots (Frank Tuttle, 1926)
+
A little hit and miss but funny in places and somewhat inventive

28 days later (2002)

Honestly I have been putting away watching it until now as I find zombie movies very repetitive.

After watching it I feel split - was it scary? No.
I liked the acting though I found Cillian Murphy very convincing as a lead role - up until he turned into a ninja in the last 20 minutes of the film

All in all I'd give it a 2.5 out of 5 as a passable movie, and credits here for being so low budget - maybe if I had watched it earlier in the 2000s I'd find it better or perhaps it has not aged well.

28 weeks later now? Maybe

-
Tangled (2010)

Still a great movie - the horse is the one true hero here.

5/5

Sometimes I really love rain days....

Great little revenge flick. Highly recommend. A lot more spraying of bodily fluids than I expected.

The mutiny part was very well done but it lost me a bit in the middle before kicking into high gear for the finale. I'll revisit it sometime when I have a bit more of a clear head.

A lot of times I get spacey during silent films but not with this. Kept me interested the entire run time. Some of the images are iconic for a reason - they're pretty good.

High and Dizzy

My introduction to Harold Lloyd was in The Freshman which I didn't make it through so I figured I'd give one of his shorter films a run. This was decent. Harold Llloyd stumbles around drunk for awhile and eventually follows a sleepwalking woman out onto the ledge of a hotel and that's it.

The Perfection (2018)

I really liked the first half of this but then thought it got a bit dull until the ending. Worth watching.
This is how I felt as well. At first, it seems slow but then that ending is a WTF moment.