Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Unregistered User
I think it was Sean Baker who raved about this one. I really need to see it.

Cant recommend it enough. At 2hours 13 mins its not the longest but I cant remember a film that went by so quickly as this did.

The Highwaymen (2019)

Due to the mediocre to poor reviews, and with some trepidation, we screened The Highwaymen. Surprise and appreciation gradually grew as the film went along. This is actually a pretty good movie.

The chief strong point was the first rate acting by Kevin Costner and Woody Harrelson. They not only worked well together, but separately they looked and acted their parts convincingly. Particularly enjoyable were a few of Harrelson's light comedy lines. But they both felt like grizzled ex Texas Rangers who were determined to eradicate Bonnie and Clyde.

The settings and feel of the 1930s was palpable-- a neat trick in the 21st Century. So many films of that era are too glossy and trite. It really felt like we were glimpsing true life in 1934. So the props and settings people were outstanding. Ditto for the photography. Thomas Newman's score was tasteful, and resisted any tendency to caricature the era with overwrought hillbilly music.

A minor detraction was Kathy Bates' casting, and her dialogue, as Texas Governor "Ma" Ferguson. It's true that Ferguson was governor, following her governor husband's conviction of corruption charges, but the real life "Ma" was much different in looks and personality. John Carol Lynch did a jounryman's job as Feguson's advisor.

It's likely that some of the negative reviews stemmed from the love of the Beatty, Dunaway, Hackman, Parsons film Bonnie and Clyde.Those of us who were blown away in 1967 with that milestone film came away feeling that B & C were heroes, and were unfairly gunned down. Yet it's also true that they were vicious psychopathic killers-- a point that was adequately driven home in "Highwaymen". But that lingering impression probably influenced some of the older reviewers.

The violent demise of these two historical gangsters was a forgone conclusion, and was addressed accurately in the film. It was interesting that no screen time was given to the pair of outlaws, except at a distance, and then only to establish their ruthlessness. Kudos to Emily Brobst and Edward Bossert who played the pair; and for their good work in the final scene.

Doc's rating: 7/10

My Name is Joe (1998)

I know these places and these people, Mullen is simply heartbreaking as the alcoholic trying to make the best of things. Acting-wise, for me, this is up there with Loach's best productions. Its affecting and also poignant. Drawing into the mixture what one is doing for oneself to feel better. Rather than the good deeds one seems to be doing for others. Billy Elliots Dad is good in it too

John Wick Chapter 3: Parabellum (2019)

Great way to end a fantastic action trilogy... but then I realized there's gonna be a fourth one!

Aladdin (2019)

Was a little worried about this one based off the trailers and being a tad disappointed with Dumbo, the previous live-action Disney adaptation, but I actually enjoyed this one quite a bit. Stuck with much of the original's story while adding in a few new subplots and songs.

Re-watch of a classic. Brilliant movie.

Re-watch of a classic. Brilliant movie.

It is a brilliant movie, but it also was in the top five of my list of most disturbing movies...no re-watch appeal whatsoever...like you said brilliant movie, but I have no desire to ever re-visit.

It is a brilliant movie, but it also was in the top five of my list of most disturbing movies...no re-watch appeal whatsoever...like you said brilliant movie, but I have no desire to ever re-visit.
It was not my first re-watch. Seen it at least 3 times.

Which were the 4 other most disturbing movies at the top of your list? Just tell me, don’t send me a link.

Point Of Entry (Stephen Bridgewater, 2007)
+
Originality, suspense, sparkling dialogue - this has none of them

'Failan' (2001)

Directed by Hye-sung Song

This is why Korean cinema is the best in the world. The movie goes from bumbling gangster fun to utter emotional devastation within an hour.

It's a film that just gets better and better until the viewer is left to pick up the pieces in a stupour. A quite amazing performance by Choi min-Sik..I thought he was brilliant in Oldboy, then I saw this.

Two tragic characters that barely cross paths, are at the centre of an extremely simple tale that is just crushed by Director Hye-sung Song. He absolutely smashes it out of the park. Korean cinema does that better than any other - makes beautiful, heartfelt tales out of simple plots.

There are some flaws - mainly actions by periphery characters. But it doesn't affect the flow and tone of this beautiful film.

8.4/10

I don't remember the top 5, but i do remember # 1 was The Passion of the Christ
Goodness, yes. Was terrified to finally watch it. Think I made it through, but it was horrible.

Godzilla (2019)

A couple different directions to go with this rating... If you are looking for a good movie, look elsewhere. It's too long and takes awhile to gather steam. If you are just looking for a fun time, this is pretty cool to watch but there are too many lulls to be worth a rewatch in the future.

The Perfection (2018) N

Other than acting (which was pretty good) The Perfection felt quite amateurish. Before the first "twist" I was hoping it wouldn't be what it was but of course it was (actually it's pretty much the same with the second "twist" too). I'm under impression there's been some hype around this but I don't see any reason for that. A bit like New French Extremism but without the extremity.

--

Captive State (2019) N

A slow scifi that plays more like a WWII French Resistance film or an agent story. To me it was kinda refreshing take on the same old alien invasion genre. It's not that much about the characters but the world which is well built totalitarian dystopia with alien leaders and human collaborators.