All in the Family/The Jeffersons Live

Tools    

I had my doubts about this when I first heard about it, but the folks behind this reboot really delivered...a respectful and hilarious reboot of two groundbreaking television shows from the 1970's that changed the way we looked at bigotry forever. And the scariest part of it was the fact that the material hasn't aged a bit and is just as relevant today as it was in 1973. Most of the casting was inspired...Woody Harrelson and Marisa Tomei were nothing short of brilliant as Archie and Edith Bunker and Ike Barinholtz impressed as Mike "Meathead" Stivic".

Jamie Foxx commanded the screen as George Jefferson and brilliantly handled his fumbling of a line. Even loved Sean Hayes' cameo as Frank Lorenzo and Anthony Anderson was an acceptable Henry Jefferson. Will Ferrell and Kerry Washington totally clicked as Tom and Helen Willis and how cool was it that they allowed Marla Gibbs to play Florence? My only problem was Wanda Sykes as Louise "Weezy" Jefferson...this performance just didn't work for me. I don't know who should have played the part but Sykes was miscast. Jackee was also a waste of screentime in a glorified cameo as the Willis' maid. But overall, this was a lot better than I thought it was going to be...funny and still topical. Norman Lear was and is a genius.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Apparently you liked this a lot more than I did. Marisa Tomei was terrific as Edith Bunker, but I didn't like Woody Harrelson in this at all. He didn't make me think of Archie Bunker even a little bit, and it felt like he was just a bad caricature of the original character. I don't know who Ike Barinholtz is, but I thought he started off pretty good as Mike "Meathead" Stivic, but he got worse as the show went on.

I thought "The Jeffersons" half was much better than the "All in the Family" half. Overall, the cast was much better. Jamie Foxx was great as George Jefferson, and I also liked Anthony Anderson as Henry. If they hadn't gotten Marla Gibbs to reprise her role as Florence, I think Wanda Sykes would have been a great choice for Florence.

I thought this had a lot of potential, but IMO, it didn't live up to it.