The MoFo pre-1930 Countdown: preliminary thread

→ in
Tools    

anybody who hasn't seen the passion of joan of arc will not have their list counted. sorry, i don't make the rules
criticker

I'll take recommendations for this.
Started a companion thread that might give you a few.

First list is in the spreadsheet and it's quite tight at the top with only around five points covering the top five at the moment

To cater for any cinematic entities that were split into distinct parts have added the following to the OP:

- If tales or events have been split into more than one cinematic part on IMDb (e.g. Die Nibelungen) each individual part should be regarded as a single entity (i.e. perfectly fine to include just one part on a ballot but if wanting to include more than one they each need to occupy one position on the ballot)

Watched Souls for Sale (1923) last night. I believe Chypmunk had recommended it. I'd never seen it.

It was Eleanor Boardman's first big role, and she was memorable. The film is a great find because it both pokes fun at, and also illustrates Hollywood productions of the mid Silent era.

The story was nothing new, and they pretty much played it tounge-in-cheek. Along the way they featured cameos of stars and directors in film making settings: stars were featured, such as William Crane and Zasu Pitts; as well as real life clips of King Vidor, Fed Niblo, Marshall Neilan, Charlie Chaplin and Erich von Stoheim. From that aspect it was a glimpse into the Hollywood industry of the day. In fact the film is the earliest I can recall of a silent production doing so

~Doc

Watched Souls for Sale (1923) last night. I believe Chypmunk had recommended it. I'd never seen it.
Wasn't me Doc, it's on my list to see but as yet I've not got around to it. You might want to repost in the companion thread for pre-1930 recommendations (link here) as more might take note of it there.

Wasn't me Doc, it's on my list to see but as yet I've not got around to it. You might want to repost in the companion thread for pre-1930 recommendations (link here) as more might take note of it there.
Will do. Wasn't quite sure where to post it, since I couldn't find the original OP. Your link is thoughtful..

I’ve finally reached 25 films I like enough to vote for, which is good, but currently I’m still down to
for my #25, hoping to change that.

I’ve finally reached 25 films I like enough to vote for, which is good, but currently I’m still down to
You still have a few more to go in the Pre 30s HoF don't you?

You still have a few more to go in the Pre 30s HoF don't you?
Yup, two, I finished Laugh Clown Laugh but have to get a write-up.

Did Siddon already send in a list, why? he's not even watched the movies in this last HoF.
Siddon sent his list in before even the first pre-30s ended I think...