Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Der Student von Prag [The Student Of Prague] (Paul Wegener & Stellan Rye, 1913)

On reflection it's not bad for it's time

(Joel Edgerton, Ray Winstone, Ioan Gruffudd, Clive Owen, Ray Stevenson, Hugh Dancy, Mads Mikkelsen)

(Til Schweiger, Stellan Skarsgard)

King Arthur
(2004)
3.5/5

This isnt the best version of Arthur and his knights but damn I love the choice of actors. At the time of the film, all but Clive Owen and Keira Knightly, were new upcoming actors to American cinema. My heart goes to Mads and Stellan.

Us (2019) N

Watched this couple of days ago but had to give it some time to figure out my rating. For the most part I liked it quite a bit but there are elements that annoyed me immensily (e.g. the explanation of events and the way film got almost goofy at times). There are also moments that seem to scream "Look at me, I'm artsy" and serve no other function.

On the plus side the visuals are good, it kinda has that twisted nightmare feel to it, it's somewhat unpredictable at times and lots of great little moments every now and then. During these two days Us has certainly grown on me. I'm still little unsure of the rating but considering how I've again started to lean too much towards the low end I'll round this one up.

--

Vampire Circus (1972) r

Mediocre Hammer horror that has some good and maybe even little ambitious scenes but around those good moments it's very standard and somewhat dull. I wonder if the original uncut version would have been better but as far as I know it no longer exists.

Erotikon [Seduction] (Gustav Machatý, 1929)

A fairly tempting watch in places

I watched this for about the 8th or 9th time over the weekend...I confess there are chunks of this movie that I really don't understand, but I also find it endlessly fascinating...imaginative as hell, well-acted, and never boring,.

Aladdin such great fairy tale ! 8 of 10

"Honor is not in the Weapon. It is in the Man"

The Man Who Feels No Pain (Mard Ko Dard Nahi Hota): A fun Bollywood action-comedy about a man who was born with a rare genetic condition that allows him to feel absolutely no pain. As a boy, his grandfather turns him onto VHS movies of action films and it is when our hero Surya sees Mani, a one-legged karate master, beat 100 men in a Kumite, Surya is determined to be a martial arts hero...with hilarious and disastrous results. Some the gags are quite funny and the action, choreographed by the awesome American duo of Eric Jacobus and Dennis Ruel, is exciting to watch. Some of the moves are repetitive, but who cares? This is overall a funny action film and I enjoyed it.

Intolerance (1916)

I really struggled with this in the beginning, mostly with the secondary storylines that went back in time. Then again, I haven't been watching many movies lately because my focus and motivation aren't what they normally are. The result is that I'm probably overrating my overall viewing experience, but I think the movie is deserving of at least that rating. After the rough start everything started to work for me, and I always enjoyed the most modern tale. The spectacle of the rest became just too grand to not be taken by it, and what once seemed like a chore to get through suddenly felt like a movie moving at breakneck speed. It's certainly a movie with something to say, even if I'm not sure how profound the final result is. I do appreciate the effort with that and I'm certain there was plenty I missed.

Intolerance (1916)

I really struggled with this in the beginning, mostly with the secondary storylines that went back in time. Then again, I haven't been watching many movies lately because my focus and motivation aren't what they normally are. The result is that I'm probably overrating my overall viewing experience, but I think the movie is deserving of at least that rating. After the rough start everything started to work for me, and I always enjoyed the most modern tale. The spectacle of the rest became just too grand to not be taken by it, and what once seemed like a chore to get through suddenly felt like a movie moving at breakneck speed. It's certainly a movie with something to say, even if I'm not sure how profound the final result is. I do appreciate the effort with that and I'm certain there was plenty I missed.
Theodore Huff, one of the 20th Century's premiere film historians, stated that Intolerance was the only film up to that time which deserved to be considered equal to Beethoven's 5th Symphony, and Michelangelo's Sistine Chapel as an artistic achievement. The film was way ahead of it's time in 1916, and it's still a little ahead of it's time. One of Griffith's masterpieces.

~Doc

Captain Marvel (2019) N

Below average Marvel that has very little to offer on its own. It's only function appears to be to introduce a new player for the Endgame and the result is just another boring and formulaic origin story. Not complete crap and not much better either.

The movie that put Tim Burton on the map and proved that Johnny Depp was an actor to be reckoned with...Burton's mad genius is in serious overdrive here and the color schemes document an eye for color that rivals Vincente Minnelli...and Kathy Baker is a total scene-stealer in this movie.