Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Wandering Earth (2019)

Now that was a very nice science fiction movie. Interestingly that Hollywood does not do movies like this anymore. It felt like Armageddon but done right. Had elements of 2001 and Blade Runner in it as well: a pretty well rounded science fiction movie.

Surprisingly it is the highest grossing movie of 2019 in China (beating even Avengers 4).

My rating is 7.5/10

Godzilla: The Planet Eater (2018)

I actually watched this movie a while ago but I noticed I did not rate it here so I decided to rate it. It is the last Godzilla movie of the trilogy of Computer Graphics Animated godzilla movies released by Netflix. I though this one was the best out of the 3 since it focus on what Urobuchi does best: writing pretentious philosophical stuff in a monster movie. Indeed, a lot of fans got mad at the movie because it had too much dialogue and too little action.

Well, this was a more of a simple philosophical exercise regarding hard choices, in this case, the choice of defeating Godzilla but paying the cost by losing, well, everything, if accepting that Godzilla is something mankind will have to live with.

My rating is 8/10

Booksmart (2019)

I was afraid it would try and be too much like Superbad, but I thought it distinguished itself enough to be unique and terrific nonetheless. Most of the jokes land, and the message/moral was identifiable yet not heavily pushed upon you. It's a little over the top which is to be expected, but I could see some high schools being like this nowadays.

You mean me? Kei's cousin?
Tombstone (1993) - Rewatch on DVD

Well, I must confess that I hadn't seen this in years and years when I checked it out from the library the other day. With that said, it has aged well and it's pretty much every bit as good as I remembered it being. The performances are up to par from Kurt Russell as Wyatt Earp ("You tell 'em I'm comin' and Hell's comin' with me!"), Val Kilmer as Doc Holliday ("I'll be your Huckleberry."), the ever-reliable Sam Elliott as Earp's brother Virgil ("You're damn right I'll risk it."), the late great Bill Paxton as their brother Morgan ("Do you believe in God, Wyatt?"), and all the rest - there's even Charlton Heston in a bit part and Robert Mitchum as a narrator, the action is thrilling, and the music score is great, too. And Kurt Russell can sure as hell direct if the stories about Cosmatos just sitting back and looking pretty while Russell did the actual directing are true. So, yeah, it's still great.

The Killing Fields (1984) - First Time on DVD

Harrowing. That's how I'd describe this one. I can see why Joffé couldn't show everything if what really happened in Cambodia was even worse than this. Believe you me, what's seen in the film itself is not pretty. There's a scene in the latter half where Dith Pran, portrayed by real-life Killing Fields survivor Dr. Haing S. Ngor in an Oscar-winning performance, walks along a path only to find it littered with skeletons and it's scary. It's enough to make one's flesh crawl. Hundreds of the skeletons of the people the Khmer Rouge slaughtered as if they were nothing more than talking cattle. The bastards didn't give two craps if they killed children, either, and as seen in the film, many of the Khmer Rouge's soldiers were children. With that said, it's a really good movie. The acting is great by everyone from Sam Waterston as Sydney Schanberg to Ngor to the great Craig T. Nelson in a bit part as Marine Major Reeves, the music score is good, and the story is still relevant in that it showcases both the horrors of war and the bravery it takes to survive when faced with pure evil, showing humanity at both its best and its worst. Overall, it's a really good movie that's worth watching and ultimately rewarding.

Saw Brightburn (3/4) and Booksmart (4/4), the latter is ****ing excellent.
Jurassic Park Dominion- 0.5/5
What Josiah Saw- (4.5/5)

The Cameraman (Edward Sedgwick & Buster Keaton, 1928)
+
That Keaton's a right little monkey

Extremely Wicked, Shockingly Evil And Vile

"I'm not a bad guy" - Ted Bundy

Do you know what a roller pigeon is, Barney? They climb high and fast, then roll over and fall just as fast toward the earth. There are shallow rollers and deep rollers. You can’t breed two deep rollers, or their young will roll all the way down, hit, and die. Officer Starling is a deep roller, Barney. We should hope one of her parents was not.

Enjoyed this mostly because Nic Cage lived up to the hype. He was outstanding as Ed Malus and had us roaring a couple of times especially after he goes undercover in the bear suit. Will surely watch this again sometime.

My new favorite Geraldine Page performance...

Never even heard of this Gideon, now on the watchlist as has all the ingredients of a Marco film

Rita, Sue and Bob too (1987).

Geniuinely charming yet grim comedy-kitchen sinky sex comedy...there's a sentence I thought I'd never type

The acting is garbage (Costigan aside) but it fair gets on at a good pace, very entertaining but despite the subject matter, not in the least raunchy ha ha!

Tombstone is an awesome film.

Enjoyed this mostly because Nic Cage lived up to the hype. He was outstanding as Ed Malus and had us roaring a couple of times especially after he goes undercover in the bear suit. Will surely watch this again sometime.
Malus eh? Not the first time I've heard the name :

I have two guns, one for each of ya.