2019 Cannes Film Festival

Tools    

Great choice.
Vice President
358 Exchange Place New York, N.Y. 10099 FAX 212 555 6390 TELEX : () 4534

Must be doin sumthin right
Main competition lineup announced, lot of heavy hitters this year. Right now I'm most looking forward to the ones by Tarantino, Hausner, Malick and the Dardennes

“Pain and Glory,” Pedro Almodovar
“The Traitor,” Marco Bellocchio
“The Wild Goose Lake,” Diao Yinan
“Parasite,” Bong Joon-ho
“Young Ahmed,” Jean-Pierre Dardenne & Luc Dardenne
“Oh Mercy!,” Arnaud Desplechin
“Atlantique,” Mati Diop
“Matthias and Maxime,” Xavier Dolan
“Little Joe,” Jessica Hausner
“Sorry We Missed You,” Ken Loach
“Les Miserables,” Ladj Ly
“A Hidden Life,” Terrence Malick
“Bacurau,” Kleber Mendonça Filho & Juliano Dornelles
“The Whistlers,” Corneliu Porumboiu
“Frankie,” Ira Sachs
“Portrait of a Lady on Fire,” Céline Sciamma
“It Must Be Heaven,” Elia Suleiman
"Once Upon a Time in Hollywood," Quentin Tarantino
“Sibyl,” Justine Triet

And here's the full jury

Alejandro González Iñárritu, Jury President
Enki Bilal
Robin Campillo
Maimouna N'Diaye
Elle Fanning
Yorgos Lanthimos
Paweł Pawlikowski
Kelly Reichardt
Alice Rohrwacher

I can't find my top favorite, the opening movie: The dead don't die by Jim Jarmusch on your list.
What a cast: Adam Driver, Tilda Swinton, Steve Buscemi, Bill Murray, Iggy Pop, Tom Waits.
Can't think of a better cast since Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri.

Main competition lineup announced, lot of heavy hitters this year. Right now I'm most looking forward to the ones by Tarantino, Hausner, Malick and the Dardennes

“Pain and Glory,” Pedro Almodovar
“The Traitor,” Marco Bellocchio
“The Wild Goose Lake,” Diao Yinan
“Parasite,” Bong Joon-ho
“Young Ahmed,” Jean-Pierre Dardenne & Luc Dardenne
“Oh Mercy!,” Arnaud Desplechin
“Atlantique,” Mati Diop
“Matthias and Maxime,” Xavier Dolan
“Little Joe,” Jessica Hausner
“Sorry We Missed You,” Ken Loach
“Les Miserables,” Ladj Ly
“A Hidden Life,” Terrence Malick
“Bacurau,” Kleber Mendonça Filho & Juliano Dornelles
“The Whistlers,” Corneliu Porumboiu
“Frankie,” Ira Sachs
“Portrait of a Lady on Fire,” Céline Sciamma
“It Must Be Heaven,” Elia Suleiman
"Once Upon a Time in Hollywood," Quentin Tarantino
“Sibyl,” Justine Triet

And here's the full jury

Alejandro González Iñárritu, Jury President
Enki Bilal
Robin Campillo
Maimouna N'Diaye
Elle Fanning
Yorgos Lanthimos
Paweł Pawlikowski
Kelly Reichardt
Alice Rohrwacher
Wow. So much talent there. Really looking forward to seeing that Xavier Dolan one and Bong Joon Ho

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Nice to see Ken Loach and Marco Bellocchio still making movies.. I've seen and liked/loved many Loach, but only saw Marco's first movie, "Fist in Pocket" which I highly recommend.. Very original.

I can't find my top favorite, the opening movie: The dead don't die by Jim Jarmusch on your list. What a cast: Adam Driver, Tilda Swinton, Steve Buscemi, Bill Murray, Iggy Pop, Tom Waits. Can't think of a better cast since Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri.
Ah yeah you're right. That's the opening night film but it's also competing in the main field, the site I copied the list from didn't have it. I love Jarmusch but wasn't crazy about the trailer tbh and he's been a little hot and cold recently for me. Paterson was really good but Only Lovers Left Alive felt like it was covering ground he's done before

I also missed listing "Mektoub, My Love: Intermezzo" by Blue is the Warmest Color director Abdellatif Kechiche

The festival has been going on for four days. Below's an early snapshot of critical perception of the movies that premiered as of yesterday. Sorry We Missed You and Little Joe (my most anticipated) premiered today and both received mixed reviews, while Pain and Glory has been more universally praised by the smaller amount of people who have seen it. Pain and Glory and Atlantics seem like the favorites so far for the palme d'or but it's still very early and the jury might love movies the critics didn't so who knows

You can watch the opening ceremony here

And here's the jury press conference from the first day

Out of competition, Senna/Amy director Asif Kapadia premiered a documentary about Diego Maradona that's been widely praised and people seem to love the new Takashi Miike movie, First Love, too

Palme d'Or Parasite (Bong Joon-ho)
Grand Prix (2nd Place) Atlantics (Mati Diop)
Best Director Dardenne brothers (Young Ahmed)
Best Actress Emily Beecham (Little Joe)
Best Actor Antonio Banderas (Pain and Glory)
Best Screenplay Celine Sciamma (Portrait of a Lady on Fire)
Jury Prize (3rd Place) Bacurau (Kleber Mendonca Filho) & Les Miserables (Ladj Ly)

What??? Has all of Hollywood's virtue signaling and PC mongering resulted in a blank? Or perhaps the international community is better at PC? Or maybe these awards actually reward excellence. Well, Hyd is just going to have to double down..

Welcome to the human race...
The USA's biggest contender was a Tarantino film, what do you think?

Then again, this is the festival that banned Lars von Trier for his Nazi comments and then let him back in last year.

“I was cured, all right!”
Kleber Mendonca Filho is one of the worst brazilian directors out there, he's a very stupid guy, just search some interviews, and his films are BU****IT. This guy, toke 2.2 MILION (illegally) from the government program to make one of his fu***ng movies, and our country is bleeding, f**k this guy! I couldn't think of worst director to be praised in Cannes them this as***le!