Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

The Adventures Of Prince Achmed (Lotte Reiniger & Carl Koch, 1926)

All the principal characters were definitely cut out for their roles imo

Unregistered User

Let The Corpses Tan (2017)

Directed by Cattet and Forzani who also made Amer (and others) which was a film I wasn't overly keen on. Pleased to say that I did enjoy this one better. What attracted to me most about this was the title, which could easily be associated with the likes of Bava, Argento and Fulci and also the poster which I do find great. The problem I do have is that its hard for me not to feel duped when the film plays out quite different to that. It plays out like an arthouse neo-western tribute to giallo. It has a simple plot but instead of playing out in real time, it constantly has these cuts in scenes that switch to someone else's POV . This takes a bit of getting used to but I actually ended up really liking it. The visuals and score are where this film really takes hold and they are extremely impressive. A lot of viewers will claim style over substance and they are probably right but I suppose its not always a bad thing, right?

Welcome to the human race...
The War Game -

did the makers of Threads somehow watch this and think "not edgy enough"

Green Book (2018)

I kind of enjoyed it while I watched it as it had some funny moments. But after the film was over and I started thinking about it, I kind of hated the stereo type caricatures the film presented. It's pathetic that in 2018 Green Book is doing dumb/poor/criminal Italian American stereo types.

I thought this film was about racial positivity, but they presented the Italian's in the film using the old & tired ethnic cliche caricatures. Then there's the whole way over the top characters of Tony the driver who eats like a pig and is stupid as a door knob and of Dr Shirley who's as cold and condescending as they come. I had to scratch my head that they did the old fried chicken bit in this movie That's something right out of an 1980s movie...And the end scene where Dr Shirley lets his hair down and jams out in the black bar has been done too many times before, it didn't fit his character's personality that he had established in the rest of the film. Green Book felt like a film that might have been made in the 80s or 90s. It had some good moments and a cool car and even tried to deliver a positive message that it takes resolve and guts to stand up for yourself against a bunch of haters...But still, it's hard to believe this won best picture.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	green-book.jpg
Views:	728
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	54358  

No Love For Johnnie (Ralph Thomas, 1961)
+
Decent enough drama - not at all the bareback flesh-fest the title might conjure up

The King Of Kings (Cecil B. DeMille, 1927)

Jesus

Green Book (2018)

..But still, it's hard to believe this won best picture.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion, but I think Green Book TOTALLY derserved the Best Picture Oscar.

Based on the truth.. and lies.
Life (2017)

2 out of 5 popcorns

Pretty silly and shallow for having such big stars. Wasn't visually stunning or technically right at all.

The rigging they used for the zero G was different than what I've seen and looks totally unnatural like they are standing and walking.

I'm sick of the space disaster movies only 1 man 1 woman survive together to fight till the end. Don't worry u should see it coming. Almost didn't watch till the end wasn't crucial for me to see what happened.

'Our Little Sister' (2016)

Directed by Hirokazu Kore-eda

This film is about food. It seems to be the focus of almost every scene. Even when there's no actual food in the scene, the characters are talking about buying chopsticks or fruit. What is the significance of this? Family values? Choices? Enjoying the smaller things in life that you take for granted - because they're actually the most important?

This is a beautiful film. Spending time with the 4 sisters in this film was a joy; from discussing cherry blossoms, making plum wine, listening to crickets chirp and eating whitebait on toast. Kore-eda is a master at directing his thoughtful dialogue, this film is as beautiful as it is peaceful. At one point Kore-eda ends a very important scene by cutting to a bowl of unripe plums and fading out. It just works. It makes you think. What is the purpose of it? Are the plums as unripe as the sisters? Do the girls need some form of closure / acceptance of their family before they can really start to fulfil their lives?

The 2 hours and 7 minutes running time just flew by. Mainly due to the dialogue being so curiously effective. The audience is made to think of the backstories and lives that have happened, and to fill in the gaps ourselves. Kore-eda is a master at this. Also, the ending reminded me of 2018's 'Roma'. Which is a good thing.

Essentially, as with most Kore-eda projects, the film is about belonging, the circle of life, family, morals, unconditional love. And food.

Unregistered User

Dogville (2003)

The style of the movie totally caught me out here. I'm glad I didn't know how it was filmed as It definitely would have put me off watching, and along with a 3hr runtime it just seemed so daunting. Didn't take long though to get used to the filming and the runtime ended up flying by. Great cast, great ending and a great film.

Aelita [aka Aelita: Queen Of Mars] (Yakov Protazanov, 1924)
+
Offworld is nicely imagined