Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

The Hunt (2012)

+

My second time watching, and it's a great movie even if it didn't blow me away like the first time. I got it for my wife to watch but she didn't think much of it. She's tough to please unlike me, and she might not even tell me she liked it if she did. Good story but I think it's the performances that make the movie. Looks like a beautiful place to live if you're not a diddler.

Just my opinion, please allow me mine and I will allow yours
Certainly, opinions are allowed. I thought you were stating it as fact. My bad.

Based on the truth.. and lies.
[IMG]

[Snooze Factor Ratings]:

How did you come up with the snooze Factor Ratings? Do you have a tendency to dose off alot 😂 narcoleptic maybe alil, not sleeping at night tossing turning that sort of thing

'All Creatures here Below' (2019)

Directed by Collin Schiffli

This was a really nice surprise. I didn't know much about it at all, so it was a bit of a punt. But it features two very good performances from Karen Gillan and David Dastmalchian - as a couple of troubled youngsters who get mixed up into something far bigger than they intended to.

The plot isn't groudbreaking, but what sees the film through is the writing (Dastmalchian again) and the ability of the two leads to convince the viewer that they have good intentions beneath all the grim reality taking place. All they want is a normal life, but certain moments in their past seem to manifest themselves into stumbling blocks at every point.

There are a couple of bumps in the road in terms of plot points but it doesn't detract from what is essentially a bit of a gem in the rough.

It's very gritty at times, with a couple of potentially upsetting scenes / revelations. But that's what makes the film an intense experience.

7.6/10

Unregistered User

Interiors (1978)

I think the darkest Allen I've seen and probably one of my favourites. Going in, I was expecting this to be a blatant Bergman clone, which certainly is not bad thing but aside from certain scenes, mostly at the beginning, its his own piece. Pretty depressing and bleak which if done well, works wonders for me and this one does. The wedding scene in particular was a highlight.

This movie is still funny as hell and I never get tired of re-watching it....masterful direction by John Landis and a witty and intelligent screenplay, even if it could have used a little trimming. It goes without saying that Eddie Murphy is a comic powerhouse but his Billy Ray Valentine would not have worked without the brilliant work of Dan Aykroyd as the heaped upon Louis Winthorpe III. maybe my favorite Aykroyd performance. Kudos as well to Ralph Bellamy, Don Ameche, and especially Denholm Elliott as Coleman.

An Elephant Sitting Still (2018) by Hu Bo

One of the best films since Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives (2010) by Apichatpong Weerasethakul and reminiscent of Tarrs bleak nihilism, this depressive masterpiece is the most interesting film i have seen from 2018. Director Hu Bo unfortunately committed suicide after finalising this debut feature. Its 4 hour running time might scare some viewers away, but it is certainly worth its time. Skillfully cinematography and an interwoven story arch not without the harshness of a depressive worldview, makes it a complex film with rich insights.

Seven Chances (Buster Keaton, 1925)
+
Doesn't quite run without a hitch

Avengers: Endgame

Do you know what a roller pigeon is, Barney? They climb high and fast, then roll over and fall just as fast toward the earth. There are shallow rollers and deep rollers. You can’t breed two deep rollers, or their young will roll all the way down, hit, and die. Officer Starling is a deep roller, Barney. We should hope one of her parents was not.

High Voltage [aka Wanted] (Howard Higgin, 1929)
+
Unfortunately not exactly the most electric watch ever

Based on the truth.. and lies.

3.5 out of 5

It's not much of a story and it felt short but it also felt like a experience really direct and explosive.

Uncommon Valor (1983)...Low budget flick about a Marine colonel who assembles a team of former soldiers to help rescue his son from a Vietnamese prison camp.
I give it 4 out of 5 popcorn bags for having decent action and starring the great Gene Hackman. Also glad that Golan/Globus did not produce this film and turn it into shoot-em-up trash (Missing in action)...
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	MV5BNDBmNDZkNjItZWYyYy00NmRhLWIyNmUtNzc4ZjQxNWYyMWM0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjUyNDk2ODc@._V1_.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	159.7 KB
ID:	54331  

Whassup Rockers (2005)

Fun in a typical Larry Clark youth, sex, drugs only the protagonists are Guatemalan American and Salvadoran kids into skating (quel suprise!) and rock music rather than "valley" types. Getting into trouble and scrapes in other neighborhoods.

Good performances from an amateur cast and a solid enough:

Hunt For The Wilderpeople (Taika Waititi, 2016)

Features more bush than some films from Germany in the 70s