Directors Favorite Movie (Their Own Work)

Tools    

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
I notice its usually NOT their most well-known or commercial. I'm trying to think of a director who has been consistent and mentioned only one movie. The only one I can think of right now is Sam Peckinaph, who said "Noon Wine" was his best, and I kinda agree with him. I actually saw it on YouTube after reading that.

Funny I ran into this topic because yesterday I watched a documentary about Brian De Palma and he mentioned that the film of his that he was most compassionate about and worked hardest on was Casualties of War.

Must be doin sumthin right
This is especially the case for directors who have been around for a while and made a lot of movies in their career. Probably gets annoying to always be asked the same questions about the one or two most popular ones they directed. It makes sense that they'd start resenting their most famous movies and want to talk up something that didn't get as much attention. During the last awards season there were interviews with Paul Schrader promoting First Reformed where the interviewer would introduce him as like "the Taxi Driver guy" and try to get him to tell an anecdote about Scorsese or something and Schrader would have to say he doesn't remember because he wrote that script 45 years ago

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
I read that Hitchcock's favorite movie he did was Shadow of a Doubt, which I find surprising cause it seems like the script is problematic for being forced to work within the production code at the time, and I always found it to be one of his lesser movies really.