Game of Thrones: Season 8, The Final Season (spoilers)

Tools    

So many whiners on the net these days. Serious question. Why did you watch when knew it was gonna suck? So many of you complaining about the writing. The writing was never very good. But the show had something, didn't it? Not gonna lie. When tyrion sat down at the table, I thought we were getting a sopranos ending. That would have been so funny. As much bitching as I've seen you'd almost think we had to pay for a ticket to this thing. Oh wait... Its just a dumb show on HBO? How dare they play with my emotions like that?

-My biggest problem with the finale is that Bronn was made the Master of Coin, which was all fan service and made zero sense. While Tyrion is worried about clean water and Davos about rebuilding a fleet, Bronn's only concern is about GETTING THOSE VAG FACTORIES REOPENED - I would really like to see the next war erupt in Westeros over the mismanagement/embezzlement of tax $$ by Bronn.

-Davos going from not being able to read to being a grammar nazi is the best arc of the show.

-So now the six kingdoms is the Holy Roman Empire? Instead of a throne, people are just going to stab each other in the back over titles. Or the position of the king will become such so diminished that nobody will respect the power of the crown.

-We're only gonna get a complete A Song of Ice and Fire in the show because GRRM will keel over before he can finish the last two books.

-Not that Jon's story didn't end perfectly for him, but Bran the Broken (wtf) couldn't pardon Jon once the Unsullied left? Or since the North is an independent power now, Sansa couldn't pardon Jon?

-Who is the random guy from Dorne at the council? Once Sansa declared the North independent, I'm surprised that didn't Dorne do the same since it's so culturally different from the rest of Westeros.

I think s7 and 8 are a symptom of D and D knowing the ending but being unable to make a conherant journey from the end of 6 to that ending. Not helped of course by Martin not providing anymore source material. That and D and D seemingly eager to rush this to move onto other projects. If they get SW it's gonna be a catastrophe for an already struggling franchise. They aren't storytellers they are adaptors.
I do think they would have been better off just doing their own ending and letting Martin do his own thing with the books. Think it sort of hamstrung them knowing a vague end.

Dany's journey in the books might be appropriate for her to go full mad queen. In the show it just didn't feel right. They didn't do enough to warrant that turn. I think her staying true to her character and having Jon have to kill her tragically because Cersi left him no choice would have been more appropriate/epic ending. Would have made cersi better villian and Dany's death mean more.

I don't know it's all 20/20 vision at this point. Just going have to live with what we got.

101 Favorite Movies (2019)

I enjoyed the last twenty or so minutes of that. I don't know why, but I just did. Maybe my expectations were very low. Maybe I loved Tyrion's nerdy speech or making the nerd a king. Sansa getting the North.

Now I am hunting for that tune which played when Daenerys walked to the throne. It was lovely.

Oh and two of my favourite characters, Bronn and Yara were absolutely wasted, apart from the zillion other things.

Lastly, apart from Breaking Bad no other show can claim to have maintained high standards from start to finish. It's not easy, and that's the truth we should all accept.

Why did you watch when knew it was gonna suck?
Because sometimes you hope to be wrong.

As much bitching as I've seen you'd almost think we had to pay for a ticket to this thing.
Considering that GOT is the only reason why I have an HBO subscription, I kind of did.

Because sometimes you hope to be wrong.

Considering that GOT is the only reason why I have an HBO subscription, I kind of did.
So they owe you but they didn't let you down? Damn, that's a tight spot.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
I do think they would have been better off just doing their own ending and letting Martin do his own thing with the books. Think it sort of hamstrung them knowing a vague end.

Dany's journey in the books might be appropriate for her to go full mad queen. In the show it just didn't feel right. They didn't do enough to warrant that turn. I think her staying true to her character and having Jon have to kill her tragically because Cersi left him no choice would have been more appropriate/epic ending. Would have made cersi better villian and Dany's death mean more.

I don't know it's all 20/20 vision at this point. Just going have to live with what we got.
Think you make a good point, just doing their own thing would have been so much better, deal with Cersei and NK at the end.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
So many whiners on the net these days. Serious question. Why did you watch when knew it was gonna suck? So many of you complaining about the writing. The writing was never very good. But the show had something, didn't it? Not gonna lie. When tyrion sat down at the table, I thought we were getting a sopranos ending. That would have been so funny. As much bitching as I've seen you'd almost think we had to pay for a ticket to this thing. Oh wait... Its just a dumb show on HBO? How dare they play with my emotions like that?
Sunk cost.

I've already paid the sub fees so might as well. At this point its just something to joke around with using humor as a defense mechanism.

Secretly hoping that the episode or an awkward moment of an episode was just a fluke that would still pay off as has happened many times in GoT past seasons. This one just never climbed up enough to reach the balance of those past seasons' goofs and wins.

A system of cells interlinked
Well, I went in expecting the finale to be terrible, but I guess it wasn't all that bad, all things considered. The damage was already done. After last week, I had already written off Dany as a ruined character, perhaps the worst trashing of a previously excellent and well-developed character ever.

Alas, I liked where all the remaining Starks ended up, and the cross cut sequence at the end that jumped between each of them was well done. Music was great also.

Definitely should have had a full season, but it is what it is.

If nothing else, the memes made it all worthwhile. They're killing it in r/freefolk.

I think Dany's death was botched. For such an iconic character to be like the 4th or 5th most memorable death in the series is a shame. Should have been the defining death in the series. Should have felt something more than meh. Anyways this season's damage had already been done but I think I could have fixed her death.

I still would have preferred Cersi still being in play having some kind of scenario where she had to make Jon kill Dany or Dany kill Jon. Don't know how. But would have strengthen Cersi's character and make Jon and or Dany's death more memorable.

But I digress......this is how I would have fixed her death to give it more feeling.....

I would have had Jon kill her. Put her on the throne. Drogon comes in pissed. Tries to burn Jon. Doesn't work because he is a Targaryen. He jumps on Drogon. Burns her on the throne. She actually burns because she is dead. She tragically accomplishes her goal of winning the throne while simultaneously breaking the wheel by burning the throne. Gives Jon's Targaryen blood more of an emphasis than the nothing it became. Jon either flies away never seen again or goes and burns down the rest of the wall to finish uniting free folk and northmen. Or maybe goes to Essos to continue Dany's fight against slavers bay.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Lastly, apart from Breaking Bad no other show can claim to have maintained high standards from start to finish. It's not easy, and that's the truth we should all accept.

I would have had Jon kill her. Put her on the throne. Drogon comes in pissed. Tries to burn Jon. Doesn't work because he is a Targaryen.
Wouldn't work. Viserys is Targaryen too and he burned. Also I think Jon burns himself in season one when fighting a Wight.

Suspect's Reviews

Welcome to the human race...
The key difference is that Breaking Bad and The Wire had the good sense to end after five seasons, whereas season five of GoT is where the rot really began to set in.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
I think the mishandling of Jon is a big part of s8 being a letdown. In s7 he stands toe to toe with Dany as King ITN and a mutual love grows between them. We've been on a big journey with Jon and his only purpose in s8's endgame appears to be to unhinge Dany. He starts this series as some kind of live in boyfriend with no title and basically remains that way throughout, tiresomely repeating "your mah Kween" . Never takes down the NK despite that being destined, he isn't even present during the final meeting of Lords. It seems a much better ending for him to be offered the Throne only to decide for himself to go into the wild north. Also in the books we have the Wildling princess Val who it seems Jon will end up with so you have a silver lining ending for him. It's the omission of Val and other long term planning that has crippled the finish. Yes in the end he kills Dany but it's like the showrunners "kind of forgot" that he is a (or the) main character.

Lack if forward planning seems to come into it for Dany's turn too, as if they only decided to have her go bad after s7. I've seen a couple of interviews with Emilia Clarke and she talks about her sheer shock during the final read through. Surely if this was the big endgame your main actress would be aware of Mad Dany and would start to bring that into performances over the final seasons.

Look how they massacred my show!