The 2nd Science Fiction Hall of Fame

Tools    

Finally got into mood for writing a review...

Gattaca (1997) r

In somewhat dystopian future most children are genetically engineered and the ones conceived in the old fashioned way are second class citizens.

First thing to note about Gattaca is that it's very retro. Its looks and technologies are heavily influenced by 50s and 60s. For me this works quite well and it has an added benefit of dampening my critique towards some of its more illogical aspects (I still feel that the idea of manually writing the flight paths from start to finish is retarded idea). This physical or mechanical side of the world is beautifully made.

Like these conscious dystopias so often Gattaca does have some issues with its wordlbuilding. It underlines its message too much and as a result the world of Gattaca feels impractical and unnecessarily bureocratic. For example it's very hard to imagine why people are constantly DNA tested (other than these tests being an important plot device, of course) after they've done excellent work for years. I'd really wish that these "intelligent" scifi films would work harder to make their worlds intelligent.

On character level Gattaca works OK. Hawke is pursuing a dream after being told for his whole life that he's unable to do it. Law is very good as a self-pitying crippled superhuman. Thurman isn't much more than love interest and lacks depth. This trinity works rather well. I don't particularly like the brother part of the story and especially the last swimming competition is just lazy writing.

As a whole Gattaca is an OK scifi film that tries to be intelligent but is too afraid to be challenging (i.e. it sacrifices a lot of finesse in order to ascertain that everyone gets what it's trying to say, starting from the Bible quote in the beginning which is kind of a turn off in science fiction for me).

movies can be okay...
I'm finally gonna be starting up this HOF tomorrow night, and I'm going to kick it off with Minority Report. I'm probably gonna go through all of the noms throughout the next three weeks.
"A film has to be a dialogue, not a monologue — a dialogue to provoke in the viewer his own thoughts, his own feelings. And if a film is a dialogue, then it’s a good film; if it’s not a dialogue, it’s a bad film."
- Michael "Gloomy Old Fart" Haneke

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Haven't seen the musical rendition but I've enjoyed Repo! With Jude Law and never heard of American Astronaut.
How was it?

Also, just finished Deja Vu. Not a bad rewatch.

I watched what might have been a possible nom for this HoF...but I didn't have time to watch it until last night. The American Astronaut (2001)
Anyone ever see that?
I saw it a year or two after it came out. It was on an independent film channel we subscribed to. I remember very little about it other than a few images, and vaguely disliking it. I was going to rewatch it when trying to decide on a nomination, but didn't bother.

I haven't seen that but for a short moment I did consider another musical: Repo! The Genetic Opera
As far as musicals go, Repo! isn't terrible, but I only like that one "Zydrate Anatomy" song and find the rest of them (except for one maybe?) a bit irritating. The design and story are interesting, so I'd like the film a lot more if it weren't for the music, but that's kind of an integral part of being a musical haha.

Haven't seen the musical rendition but I've enjoyed Repo! With Jude Law and never heard of American Astronaut.
Do you mean Repo Men, or was Law in another film with "Repo" in the title? I like Repo Men well enough. I think I might even own it on DVD.

Do you mean Repo Men, or was Law in another film with "Repo" in the title? I like Repo Men well enough. I think I might even own it on DVD.
Yep, Repo Men. Thought the twist ending was pretty good.

...never heard of The American Astronaut.
How was it?..
I really liked the premise of the movie, the minimalist sets and b & w photography. It kind of had a minimalist 'steam punk thrift store' look to it, I liked that. The lead actor was good and he's the director/writer too. It started off strong and I thought the first 20-30 minutes was original, funky, fun, artistic and inspired...but I lost some interest as the film progressed. It's a musical, comedy, western, sci-fi and features original music that was good.

The opening musical number was a blast! Here's a 2 minute clip of that 1st number. I'll set it up: The American astronaut guy lands on the asteroid Ceres looking to do a trade in a dusty, funky bar full of despot miners. He goes into the bathroom to do his business, (probably because his space ship doesn't have a toilet, ha) and then this happens:

I think you'd like the movie.
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	MV5BNDMzMTExOTIxOV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNTUwNzcyMQ@@._V1_.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	54261  

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Been working LAAAATE this week but hope to bang a few out this weekend.

Suspect's Reviews

Coherence (2013)
*spoilers*

The longest 88 minutes I've ever experienced while watching a film! I'm sorry, but I have to be blunt to be honest...

I hated the amateurish camera work, it was nauseating & distracting. Almost every single shot was composed of shaky hand held camera and ultra close ups. Without any establishing wide shots, the film looked cheap and confused. Then there's the abrupt film edits that came smack in the middle of the scenes, with no rhyme or reason. It's like the director said, 'OK, enough of your inane party small talk, cut!'...Then the screen goes black and we're back to the same 'go nowhere, do nothing' scenes that only exist to pad out this 30 minute Twilight Zone wanna be, to movie length. If you thought The Man From Earth was bad film making watch Coherence for a new low in cinema standards!

Making this worse was the overlapping dialogue (if you can call it dialogue) which was audibly hard to hear and even harder to follow with eight babbling people in the same small room, all talking at once.

I had to laugh that when the lights initially go out, they freak out! and over react! Like they just seen a monster outside!...At that point nothing much had happened so their over reacting was comical. Even more ridiculous was later when they had seen their own doubles, and the older bald guy comes in from outside, they freak out and he acts like they're being stupid and tells them to calm down. Only at that point they should be freaked out! I was freaked out myself, by how silly this film was.
Attachments

Name:	c776a6ad-34cf-4a8c-9eb7-713719ab0b1a.jpg
Views:	458
Size:	165.3 KB
ID:	54359  

I really liked the premise of the movie, the minimalist sets and b & w photography. It kind of had a minimalist 'steam punk thrift store' look to it, I liked that. The lead actor was good and he's the director/writer too. It started off strong and I thought the first 20-30 minutes was original, funky, fun, artistic and inspired...but I lost some interest as the film progressed. It's a musical, comedy, western, sci-fi and features original music that was good.

The opening musical number was a blast! Here's a 2 minute clip of that 1st number. I'll set it up: The American astronaut guy lands on the asteroid Ceres looking to do a trade in a dusty, funky bar full of despot miners. He goes into the bathroom to do his business, (probably because his space ship doesn't have a toilet, ha) and then this happens:

I think you'd like the movie.
Loved that scene. Will definitely put this on the watchlist and try to check it out at some point.
THANKS!

Deja Vu

Doug Carlin: Brace yourselves, I think you're about to witness a murder.

Filmed in New Orleans (god, I love that city) and directed by Tony Scott, we have, at it's core, an action/crime drama with it's twist involving science fiction.

at the Canal Rd dock, a ferry explodes, killing everyone on board on Mardi Gras day. Denzil Washington's character, Officer Doug Carlin from ATF, joins the massive investigation. Early on, he is brought in to a secretive FBI investigation due to his detective prowess. Where he comes to realize that the video/audio they are using is actually a live stream from four days ago. Realizing, not only may he be able to solve the bombing, but, maybe, just maybe, he could use the time folding device to actually prevent it, as well.

Since this more leaned to the detective crime drama of the bombing, catching the culprit and saving all those lives, including the woman who's truck was stolen and was murdered; played by the enticing Paula Patton, who later on would rejoin Denzil in another action crime drama 2 Guns, (a great lil popcorn fodder flick).
Also joining them is Val Kilmer, Jim Caviezel, Adam Goldberg and Bruce Greenwood. All doing a great job to move the story line forward, rather nicely.

Again, while they use the very limited time travel device in short context; the secondary effects and the clues that they create do not get jumbled or in any way, misused. Creating an enjoyable watch without causing any eye rolling of us viewers as things move along.
There is a touch of Paint By The Numbers plot line, and Denzil is as Denzil does in these films - which is fine, because Denzil is pretty d@mn cool being Denzil. And for me, this did not distract or deter my enjoyment of a film I haven't seen since it first came out. Which, at times, allowed me to have a bit of Deja Vu as I watched it.

Deja Vu (2006)

*spoilers*

Denzel Washington...a good actor that has the misfortune of ending up in mediocre movies. Deja Vu is one of those ah-it's-ok films that are easy to watch and easy to forget. I really liked the first 30 minutes when the film was a straight, crime scene investigation drama. Denzel was real good in those first 30. But once we get to the sci-fi time-spy-cam, the film takes a step backwards and even Denzel goes from interesting to luke warm. I had to laugh at his tizzy fit when in a frustrated rage he throws a chair into the FBI's ultra expensive time machine monitor. Not his fault, but the directors.

The idea of the Minority Report style high tech crime surveillance monitors just wasn't interesting to me and either were the actors who played the 'time geeks'. I can't watch Adam Goldberg without thinking of him as Chandler's crazy roommate from Friends, sorry but that boy is time-cast...err I mean type-cast.

Shanti (does she have a last name?) was the only believable scientist crime fighter in the time geek squad. But poor Val Kilmer didn't get to do anything interesting. Though I will say one of my favorite actors, Jim Caviezel gets some good scenes as he plays an oddly inspired home grown terrorist. They apparently wanted a sequel, as his character hints that he's on some sort of mission, which I took to be that he was a future time traveler sent to change the past.

The film was kind of exciting during the chase scene in the Hummer, though chases aren't really my thing. But then they break that tension by going back to the girl's apartment and hang out for awhile...What? I thought the clock was ticking with only minutes left before the bomb explodes...They sure took their sweet time, but then with a time machine you can do that.
Attachments

Name:	wxyerhbj0yk0jbye.jpg
Views:	591
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	54387  

It would have been amusing if I had watched Déjà Vu instead of Liquid Sky yesterday, since then we could have a series of Déjà Vu reviews on the same page, which might cause people to experience actual déjà vu when scrolling down the thread haha.