19.Bubba Ho-Tep
20.Halloween
21.The Neon Demon
22.Scanners
23. Alien 3
24.Tremors
25.The Orphanage

Unregistered User
I wonder if the list would look any different if so many people didn't put a movie higher than they thought it deserved to help it, lower than it deserved because it didn't need help, or leave one off completely because it had no chance of making it. I would never swap my #3 and #20 because #3 was a lock and #20 needed help. If a movie barely made the countdown because I gave it a bunch of extra points I wouldn't feel good about it. To me it's in the ballpark of dishonesty and what I really just want to see is an actual MoFo top 100. That being said, I don't look negatively towards anyone who does this because I don't think there's any malice and it's not a big deal. It's just moderately irksome to me and I can't help but open my big mouth.

Again I totally agree with this point. Its your top 25 horror films, not a prediction of the forum's favourite horror films. Each film should be based on its own merit. To me, not including a film because it'll make the list anyway isn't what a top 100 is about.

And finally...

My number one pick had to go to a film made by one of the greatest directors to have ever lived and my favourite horror film of all time... THE SHINING.

There's a link to its placing on my Top 50 Horror list right here, but I'll rather want to include one of my most recent write-ups from the Director Dissection thread by Raul and Sean... We are currently doing Kubrick and because of the level of expertise by this man I feel like I owe his films to deliver something great as well in my reviews. That proves to be a very tough task indeed.

But here's my recent review off The Shining...

Director's Dissection
The Shining adaption of the Stephen King novel, the shining example of a horror masterpiece and the shining star behind it all, Stanley Kubrick, will be presented to you in this glorious review of

THE SHINING

"The Shine" is a sensitivity to the supernatural or the macabre. It is a way of communicating with someone or sensing something without the presence of words or any other conventional connection between the two parts…

There are many Stephen King novels, which contains characters, who has the psychic ability that embraces the above in different ways… And you could say, that with the film adaptation of “The Shining”, Stanley Kubrick brings this ability inside the very fundament of adaption and bases his starting point to horror within that very psychologic aspect. He wishes to incorporate the element of fear in a way that is unconventional, by communicating the supernatural and macabre through imagery and sounds instead of plainly writing it into the material. He wants to generate horror with the smallest amount of storytelling possible, but with the biggest amount of atmosphere available. He wants to speak to the deeper mind and bodily senses in a subtle way, which we might not notice, consciously, though we feel every little bit of it.

Stanley Kubrick brings bona fide cinema creepiness to new harrowing heights, as he without any hesitation throws the horror handbook straight into the garbage bin in the name of a revolutionary genre rebirth, making Stephen Kings novel a surreal novelty with a nightmarish and almost nauseating approach to horror cinema. Kubrick shows us a shining example of how to embrace atmosphere as a director and let it linger like a character in and on itself. The feel of the Overlook Hotel is so atmospherically impressive and not the least visually expressive, that the terror comes creeping around every corner as a sort of psychosomatic play on our minds, unfolding our deepest fears and being downright unwilling to the follow the rules of horror (or even the source material for that matter).

HE CAME…
Just judging by the ominous opening to the film, which also contains Kubrick’s almost signature-like use of lavish colors in the credits, as well as his constant care for always wanting to create a cunning contrast within his work – this time by having heavenly scenery seem like a road to hell. A helicopter tracking shot of a car travelling along the soft, curvy roads of the Rocky Mountains, builds a beautiful backdrop to the otherwise dominating dun-dun-dun’s that pound away like the Devil’s own heartbeat. It is so uncomfortably eerie that you almost feel the sweat bursting out, making you want to turn up the AC and add on the DC to this highway-to-hell madness.

When we cut to Jack arriving at the hotel for the job interview, we enter the calm but far from collected state of the movie, that slowly eats up the atmosphere as we go. We get a sense of our main character, who indeed does seem “off” from the very beginning. But in relation to the intro, it is quite clear that Kubrick set out to sow the seeds of terror early on and having us wait for the inevitable moment of which the horror will eventually strike. There really is no doubt that this is an indisputable independent vision of a universally acclaimed novel, which is now being brought to life in ways almost unimaginable prior to watching the film. Kubrick breaks down the door of a one-room thinking space, piercing the mind of the viewer, allowing our thoughts and feelings to flow freely and seamlessly together with every element of this film. I doubt there is a need for details here, but some examples won’t hurt you, though it may bash your brains in.

HE SAW…
As mentioned, there is a constant calmness to this film, yet you never feel completely calm watching it. It definitely feels destined to make us drift into the mindset of the characters, especially that of Jack, and the character of the hotel. The short inserts of unsettling images almost feel like the flashing callbacks similar to that of a person suffering from PTSD. It is like a picture-perfect portrayal of an actual nightmare and an excellent example of crafting and arranging horror to illustrative and influential effect. It is like a perverse poem, in the way that it strings together these images with very hard cuts, perfectly pushing forward the effect that this type of editing has when you compare it to the rest of the film, which often let the scenes dissolve slowly into one another. So visually and craft-wise, Kubrick really tries to concentrate this constant feeling of time just going in a “loop” or days and hours passing in and out of each other, having the audience feel the cabin fever close to heart. When the shock hits, it is often with hard cuts, thereby having the same effect on the audience as on the characters.

I could go on forever and ever and ever about how meticulous every camera move is in this movie – how it glides over the floor like a ghost and how it hides behind the hard walls of this hollow and empty hotel. The atmosphere really elevates the film to an expert level of extensiveness; painting every surface with the colors of the most bloody beautiful nightmare ever created. The four walls within this hotel is like the four horsemen surrounding you in the middle of the madness going on, having your heart galloping uncontrollably. Kubrick knows precisely how to generate this ghastly gallows-feeling of sorts, bringing home a menacing and gloomy guise of loneliness. The sheer sense of dead-silent emptiness is extremely unsettling, while the only sounds we hear are footsteps and the monotone sounds of motion, when Danny goes on his long tricycle trips of terror through the hallways of hell on earth.

HE SHINED…
Jack “Here’s Johnny” Nicholson comes in swinging and presents us with the most unhinged performance of his career, and it comes across like a bloody elevation of the already disturbing location. A true rock n’ roll performance of the century, proving that “Johnny B. Goode” is definitely not his full name. Because Jack the character is as bad as they come, and Jack the actor as bad-ass as they get. His boundary-free performance loudly bounces off the cold walls of this colossal emptiness of the Overlook Hotel, echoing its excellence and further enforcing the eeriness of everything going on. Not one character in this movie feels completely normal, which is of course a classic element to a Kubrick film, but definitely feels more dead-on than ever. It all just adds to the sense that something is always “off”, if you understand what I’m on about.

Whenever I revisit this film, I love to get drunk on Kubrick’s disturbing atmosphere and distanced approach to reality and normality. It truly is a film that finds the deeper roots of the genre end its power and subsequently pulls them straight up into the open, letting them grow far and wide as the film winds along, thereby creating three times the terror compared to a more superficial horror. Kubrick certainly brings back the craftmanship of a good scare that is well-earned and a long-lived legacy that is well-deserved. All hail the great Kubrick… shining on all of us…

Some titles I didn't vote for, thought were gonna make it, but didn't:

Angel Heart
This was one of the last films I had to cut. Other late cuts included at least the following: The Dark (2018), Ginger Snaps 2: Unleashed (2004), Who Can Kill a Child (1976) and Alucarda (1977). Ginger Snaps 2 was the only sequel I even considered.

Dude! You rocked this countdown!

Congrats on a successful Countdown, you did it! and did it with style too. It was a great countdown, loved the presentation and the enthusiasm

Now ya know it's a freakin lot of work hosting a countdown

When I sat down to finalize my 25 films and decide on their actual order, my top 5 ended up being the first 5 films I knew had to be on my list, in almost the same order they originally came to mind. I guess it makes sense that my favourite films would be the first ones I think of, but for some reason I wasn't expecting it to work out that way. I maybe should have put Re-Animator at #1 since it might be my actual favourite (faults included), but I think The Thing is just a better made movie, so I gave it the top slot instead.

What We Do in the Shadows
I quite enjoy this film, and I wanted to include it (it would've knocked Candyman off and been in that 20-24 range), but I didn't think it had enough horror elements to justify a spot on my list. I still would've been happy to see it place, but it just didn't meet my personal criteria.

Seen: 81/100
My List: 18

01. The Thing (1982) - #2
02. Re-Animator (1985) - #88
03. Alien (1979) - #3
04. The Fly (1986) - #10
05. Evil Dead (1981) - #13
06. The Shining (1980) - #1
07. Cabin in the Woods (2011) - #52
08. A Tale of Two Sisters (2003) - DNP
09. The Innocents (1961) - #19
10. 10 Cloverfield Lane (2016) - DNP
11. The Descent (2005) - #40
12. Saw (2004) - #32
13. The Conjuring (2013) - #29
14. The Exorcist (1973) - #5
15. Ju-On: The Grudge (2002) - DNP
16. Event Horizon (1997) - #49
17. The Wailing (2016) - #69
18. It Follows (2014) - #78
19. Mandy (2018) - DNP
20. The Babadook (2014) - #63
21. Videodrome (1983) - #42
22. The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (1920) - #25
23. You're Next (2013) - DNP
24. Candyman (1992) - DNP
25. The Void (2016) - DNP/1 Pointers List

Great job on the Countdown, Nostro! The graphics were great, and I loved the little write-ups and smaller posts you made throughout.

These were near the very top of my own list, with Carpenter's icy The Thing as my third overall choice and Kubrick's somehow even colder The Shining right behind it at number four. I'm not at all surprised that The Shining got the most votes and maybe a little surprised that The Thing managed to go all the way to number two. Figured it would be top ten, but not quite that high. Way to be, MacReady.

HOLDEN PIKE’S PICKS
1. Rosemary’s Baby (#7)
2. The Bride of Frankenstein (#68)
3. The Thing (#2)
4. The Shining (#1)
5. Get Out (#39)
6. The Blair Witch Project (#34)
7. Night of the Living Dead (#17)
8. Don’t Look Now (#64)
9. Possession (#33)
10. Invasion of the Body Snatchers 1956 (#70)
11. Psycho (#4)
12. Antichrist (#82)
13. Jacob’s Ladder (#67)
14. It Follows (#78)
15. The Innocents (#20)
16. Freaks (#55)
17. The Babadook (#63)
18. The Fly 1986 (#10)
19. Alien (#3)
20. Eyes Without a Face (#46)
21. Near Dark (DNP)
22. Repulsion (#24)
23. Shaun of the Dead (#21)
24. Hereditary (#56)
25. Trouble Every Day (DNP)

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Can't complain, just happy The Thing was not only so high, but actually finished within shouting distance of the top spot.

I've just never found The Shining scary, for whatever reason, and as I alluded to before, I made "scared me personally" my single-largest criteria for my choices on this list. Which is a real compliment to The Thing, because while I did find it pretty horrifying, I had it as high as I did because it was so well made, and so wonderfully conceived, that I had to put it higher than many films which scared me more. it's just that good.

I wonder if the list would look any different if so many people didn't put a movie higher than they thought it deserved to help it, lower than it deserved because it didn't need help, or leave one off completely because it had no chance of making it. I would never swap my #3 and #20 because #3 was a lock and #20 needed help. If a movie barely made the countdown because I gave it a bunch of extra points I wouldn't feel good about it. To me it's in the ballpark of dishonesty and what I really just want to see is an actual MoFo top 100. That being said, I don't look negatively towards anyone who does this because I don't think there's any malice and it's not a big deal...
That's an interesting point, though I wouldn't say that any of the list were 'dishonest' as people use all different types of criteria to decide what to vote for.

For me, it's really hard to say that one film should be at the top of my list and another towards the bottom, if I love them both. I tried to place the best films (IMO) at the top, but at the same time there are films that I personally love/enjoy that aren't the greatest films, so that also was taken into account...and of course it's not rocket science.

* films that made the countdown. Red films didn't make it.

*1 Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978)
*2 The Fly (1986)
3 Carnival of Souls (1962)
4 Homicidal (1961)
*5 Eraserhead (1977)
*6 The Birds (1963)
*7 Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (1931)
8 Island of Lost Souls (1932)
*9 Rosemary's Baby (1968)
*10 Poltergeist (1982)
11 X: The Man with the X-Ray Eyes (1963)
12 The Last Man on Earth (1964)

*13 The Fly (1958)
14 The Phantom of the Opera (1925)
15 The Body Snatcher (1945)
16 Mary Shelley's Frankenstein (1994)

*17 Interview with the Vampire (1994)
18 The Tingler (1959)
*19 The Innocents (1961)
*20 Psycho (1960)
*21 Alien (1979)
*22 The Shining (1980)
23 Frankenstein (1931)
*24 The Thing (1982)
25 Strait-Jacket (1964)

What an excellent day for an exorcism
A real treat watching this horror countdown. Looking at the top 10 of this list, I would call the majority of them the top most survivable horror films, for lack of a better description. Meaning, if you explore the vast Best of Horror lists across the web, there's a dozen or so horror films that seem to survive most top 10/20/30, etc. horror lists. The majority of the top 10 horror films here, there's a good chance each one is ranked number one on other lists across the web, or at least in their top five.

I did a website project similar to the above by gathering a number of best of horror lists on the web - IGN, Rotten Tomatoes, IMDB, Dark Web Online, Total Film, along with others, and recorded their top horror films placed. After tweaking some criteria and thresholds, I average out how well each horror film fared in all of those lists.

What I found is 10 films I call the top ten most survivable horror films - Psycho, The Shining, Halloween, The Exorcist, Alien, Rosemary's Baby, The Thing, Nightmare on Elm Street, Jaws, and The Silence of the Lambs. It would be a struggle for anyone to explore the myriad of top horror lists around the web and find none of the horror films above on a given list.

Boldly going.
Pet Sematary (which did not appear on this list) was my #1.
I saw it in the theatre when I was a teenager and for me it's one of the scariest movies ever. I remember sitting so low in my chair that I almost ended up on the floor.
If you haven't seen it, you should check it out.
I haven't seen the remake.

A system of cells interlinked
Thank you so much @Nostromo87 for a super well-run and fun tournament. I wanted to hang out and post more and more at-length, but with the wee lass at home producing, directing, and starring in several diaper horror shows per day, I am spread pretty thin.

I have a similar story in regards to The Thing as a few other MoFos. That film, along with Alien, was on a short list of films I wasn't allowed to see. I remember a certain aura of mystique that surrounded these titles, and my group of friends and I tried every angle we could to get our mitts on a copy of one or both VCR tapes when they came out. I didn't even have a VCR at the time, which made it even harder to pull off a clandestine viewing.

Finally, it happened. A friend of mine's parents rented The Thing and left the tape in the VCR. The news spread quickly at school, and as soon as that bell rang, a decent crowd of us beat feet to the kid's house as fast as we could. We did manage to stop at 7-11 on the way to purchase the obligatory snacks and sodas needed to complete the experience.

We all cheered when the logo burned its way across the screen. It was about the time that the dog cracked open that we started to realize what we had gotten our selves into. The room was dead silent as we all stared wide-eyed at the events unfolding on screen. Personally, I was completely ****ing terrified. We had managed to coax two girls along for the viewing, and both of them had their hands over faces with their eyes screwed shut. My friend Cameron was looking a little green around the gills, and some crafty bastard had sneaked over and crapped in my pants.

Some of us did manage to make it through the entire film, but man, I had trouble getting to sleep that night, and several nights after. Here's a picture of me trying to get to sleep that night.

At that point in time, no one had ever seen anything like The Thing, with its terrifying special effects.

My list was:
1- The Shining (1980)
2- Sinister (2012)
3- Pyewacket (2017)
4- Halloween (1978)
5- I Saw The Devil (2010)
6- Jeepers Creepers (2001)
7- The Devil's Rejects (2005)
8- Scream (1996)
9- The Conjuring 2 (2016)
10- Creep (2014)
11- The House That Jack Built (2018)
12- Event Horizon (1997)
13- Dead Silence (2007)
14- The Conjuring (2013)
15- Saw (2004)
16- The Autopsy Of Jane Doe (2016)
17- The Ring (2002)
18- Creep 2 (2017)
19- Psycho (1960)
20- The Descent (2005)
21- Grave Encounters (2011)
22- Coherence (2013)
23- Evil Dead 2 (1987)
24- The Orphanage (2007)
25- Let The Right One In (2008)

Great countdown Nostro. You rock bro

(list makers bolded)

1. Hellbound: Hellraiser II
2. Scream 2
3. Maximum Overdrive
4. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre Part 2
5. Halloween II (1981)
6. Creepshow 2
7. Witchboard (1986)
8. Wes Craven's New Nightmare
9. Hellraiser
10. A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984)

11. Friday the 13th Part III
12. Friday the 13th Part VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan
13. Friday the 13th Part II
14. Creep
15. Creep II
16. Shocker (1989)
17. Troll 2
18. Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter
19. Friday the 13th Part V: A New Beginning
20. The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974)
21. Saw II
22. Maniac (1980)
23. Prom Night (1980)
24. Popcorn (1991)
25. Hellraiser III: Hell on Earth
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	SClist.png
Views:	264
Size:	137.8 KB
ID:	54202  

My list :
The ones that made it, bolded.

1. Suspiria (1977)
2. Martyrs (2008)
3. Inside (2007)
4. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974)
5. The Exorcist (1973)
6. The House That Jack Built (2018)
7. The Beyond (1981)
8. The Thing (1982)
9. Friday the 13th (1980)
10. Halloween (1978)
11. The Omen (1976)
12. The Shining (1980)

13. Terrifier (2016. or 17. or 18. Seems it has a few release dates)
14. Maniac (1980)
15. Frontiere(s) (2007)
16. Deep Red (1975)
17. Cannibal Holocaust (1980)
18. Hereditary (2018)
19. The Evil Dead (1981)
20. Funny Games (1997)
21. Hellraiser (1987)
22. Alien (1979)

23. Zombi 2 (1979)
24. Sinister (2012)
25. A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984)

Thank you SO MUCH @Nostromo87 for all the dedication, blood, sweat, tears and madness that went into the making of this beast of a list. It's been a ton of fun.

My favourite of the films on my list that didn't make it, was

TERRIFIER

Since sending in this list, it's actually crawled up in placement. I've lost words for how much I adore that vicious little thing, and I can't wait for Terrifier 2. I haven't been this excited about a horror villain since...probably Freddy. I don't even care I'm that film's only stan on this forum ART THE CLOWN IS FAN****INGTASTIC and I enjoy every revolting minute of him!