MoFo Top 100 Horror Movies: The List

→ in
Tools    

Similar to hk's experience watching NMOES, I'll never forget watching The Thing for the first time.
Mid eighties, saturday night, bunch of kids on the living room floor in the dark watching a color television set, unforgettable movie memories of an unforgettable movie, my # 5.

Other personal list stats for The Thing:
250 movies of all time = #20, Top 100 Sci-Fi's = #9, Favorite actors Kurt Russell = #8

Here's my list.

1. It (2017)
2. Evil Dead II (1987)
3. A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984)
4. Dawn of the Dead (1978)
5. Let the Right One In (2008)
6. Psycho (1960)
7. Halloween (1978)
8. Alien (1979)
9. The Exorcist (1973)
10. The Thing (1982)
11. Bram Stoker's Dracula (1992)
12. Eraserhead (1977)
13. The Bride of Frankenstein (1935)
14. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974)
15. The Fly (1958)
16. Vampyr (1932)
17. The Shining (1980)
18. The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (1922)
19. The Ring (2002)
20. The Fly (1986)
21. Night of the Living Dead (1968)
22. King Kong (1933)
23. Frankenstein (1932)
24. The Evil Dead (1981)
25. The Babadook (2014)

This changed a little since I sent it, but this is the vote I put up. As you can see, my number 1 didn't make it, as I expected.

1. The Thing
  2. The Shining
  3. Halloween (1978)
  4. The Others
  5. Session 9
  6. 28 Days Later
  7. Alien
  8. The Innocents
  9. Deep Red
  10. Martin
  11. The Exorcist
  12. Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956)
  13. The Wicker Man (1973)
  14. House on Haunted Hill (1958)
  15. The Abominable Snowman
  16. Kwaidan
  17. The Invisible Man (1933)
  18. Scream
  19. The Tingler
  20. Inside
  21. Island of Doctor Moreau(1977)
  22. Changeling
  23. Nightbreed
  24. Creature From the Black Lagoon
  25. I Walked With a Zombie
Now as for what I didn't rank and my thoughts on them..

#4 - Psycho - never considered it, it's a finely made film but I prefer the sequel Psycho II which looks better and has a more interesting plot.
#7 - Rosemary's Baby - It's okay
#8 - Texas Chainsaw Massacre - overrated to me get's more credit for being early than for being good
#9 - Suspiria - I like it but I only had room for one Gallo on my list and I picked Deep Red.
#10 - The Fly - Not a big Cronenberg fan
#11 - Eraserhead - traumatic but also very annoying film
#12 - A Nightmare on Elm Street - I prefer Dream Warriors and New Nightmare
#13 - The Evil Dead - liked it, not really big on Rami
#14 - Let the Right One in - liked it, but I prefer other Scadinavian horror
#15 - Poltergeist - I feel like this is great "PG" horror
#16 - American Werewolf in London - My second favorite Werewolf film, didn' even bother listing my favorite as it had no shot
#17 - Night of the Living Dead - considered it and cut it
#18 - Dawn of the Dead - this was one of my last cuts
#21- Shaun of the Dead - didn't even think of this
#22 - Funny Games - didn't care for it
#24 - Repulsion - I like it better each time I watch it maybe if this list is ever redone it'll make my cut
#25 - Cabinet of Dr Caligari - It's been way too long till I saw it

Some titles I didn't vote for, thought were gonna make it, but didn't:

Lost Boys

Christine

The Fog

What We Do in the Shadows

Angel Heart

Candyman

1.Rosemary's Baby 1968
2.Halloween 1978
3.Dance of the Vampires 1967
4.The Wicker Man 1973
5.Eraserhead 1977
6.The Exorcist 1973
7.Possession 1981
8.A Nightmare on Elm Street 1984
9.Dracula 1958
10.Mother Joan of the Angels (1961)
11.Ringu 1998
12.Dracula 1992
13.Onibaba 1964
14.The Shining (1980)
15.The Return of the Living Dead 1985
16.Let's Scare Jessica to Death (1971)
17.Alice Sweet Alice (1976)
18.Slither (2006)
19.Poltergeist (1982)
20.The Omen (1976)
21.The Birds (1963)
22.Dawn of the Dead (1978)
23.Night of the Living Dead (1968)
24.Eyes Without a Face (1960)
25.Sveto mesto (1990)
A normal man? For me, a normal man is one who turns his head to see a beautiful woman's bottom. The point is not just to turn your head. There are five or six reasons. And he is glad to find people who are like him, his equals. That's why he likes crowded beaches, football, the bar downtown...

As feared, The Shining turns up at #1.

I had The Thing at #8. I don't really have a clear memory of watching it for the first time, but I do remember how much me and all my friends loved it and watched it a number of times in the week we had the copy. Great effects, great acting and, most importantly for me, the best atmosphere. The setting works extremely well and the feeling of claustrophobia closes in more and more as the film progresses. The viewer feels as trapped as the characters and that scene when they test the blood? No matter how many times I've seen the film, it always works well.

Congrats on completing the countdown, Nostro. You did a marvellous job.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Closer than I thought between 1 and 2.

Ive always thought a good sequel to the Thing would be a similar follow up where the Thing is defeated halfway through but the group implodes through fear and paranoia anyway.

The Thing is a wild reimaging of the Hawks/Nyby 1951 flick and closer in tone to the original John W. Campbell Jr story which is apparently one of the first sci-fi stories about shape-shifters from outer space. At the time of its release, The Thing wasn't really greeted with good reviews, but I've always loved it, and I find it to be Carpenter's masterpiece. It's a lean, mean, fighting machine with almost nothing in the way of wasted scenes and a strong sense of its own capability of holding your interest while taking it's sweet time in building things up. Now, Carpenter has always tried to build his films in a similar fashion, but to me, this is the one where he's far more successful than ever before or since. Maybe it's the exotic location of Antarctica. Who can name more than five films, not including documentaries and cartoons, which take place on that continent? Maybe it's the mind-boggling special and makeup effects which to this day are some of the most-disgusting-yet-witty displays of violent destruction of life ever depicted on film. Maybe it's the combo of the men's camraderie and their contempt of each other because once it becomes clear what the hell this thing is and what it wants to do, it makes the all-male cast want to keep to themselves even though they all would probably like to have someone cover their back if they could only trust them. Both Twelve O'Clock High and The Thing are about men facing impossible odds in an attempt to survive and theoretically help save humankind. In The Thing, there's a computer calculation which states that if the ONE Thing were left to its own devices, it would take over every single living thing on earth in about three years. So yeah, that showdown at the end of The Thing, which reminds me more of John Huston's The Treasure of the Sierra Madre (Dobbs and Curtin betting on who's going to fall asleep first) than it does anything in Hawks' Red River or the original The Thing (Hawks being Carpenter's fave director), is basically about the survival of the human race.
Films like Barry Lyndon and The Shining do seem the coldest Kubricks to me, but Barry Lyndon has an ironic narrator and a truly ironic ending which added layers to the film so that now I don't feel nearly as rebuffed by the film as I did initially. I've related the story here before about how I saw a sneak preview of The Shining with my brother, and we were very disappointed in how one-note the thing was. We didn't find it scary except for a few images, and it went on and on to a changed frozen conclusion which really put us off. Now I can accept it for the pleasures found along the way, and I can forgive Nicholson - he's so funny - for being over-the-top almost from the get-go.
My List
1. Gremlins
2. Poltergeist
3. The Exorcist
4. The Innocents
5. An American Werewolf in London.
6. Rosemary's Baby
7. Alien
8. Psycho
9. Altered Siates
10. The Fly ('86)
11. Gremlins 2: The New Batch
12. Grindhouse
13. The Stepfather
14. Psycho 2
15. Dead of Night
16. Wait Until Dark
17. Carrie
18. The Omen
19. The Thing
20 The Shining
21. Arachnophobia
22. Shaun of the Dead
23. Let the Right One In
24. Invasion of the Body Snatchers ('78)
25. Diabolique
Man satisfying retrospects on The Thing (1982) and The Shining (1980) I enjoyed reading Mark

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I left The Shining off on purpose, not because I don't think it's a great horror film but because I knew it was going to win. So that left room for me to put lesser seen or appreciated horror films on.

I had The Thing at #2. Love it to death and thought the animatronics were so God-Damn creepy when I first saw it. My wife laughed at it, which bummed me out, but it doesn't distract from the greatness. Carpenter's best film.

1. The Evil Dead (81)
2. The Thing (82)
3. Alien
4. Scream
5. The Evil Dead II
6. The Conjuring
7. The Cabin in the Woods
8. Shaun of the Dead

9. Return of the Living Dead
10. Halloween (78)
11. A Nightmare on Elm Street (84)
12. Dawn of the Dead (78)

13. Black Christmas (74)
14. The Descent
15. Dog Soldiers

16. Fright Night (85)
17. Ginger Snaps
18. You're Next
19. Dead-Alive

20. Get Out
21. Final Destination
22. The Ring
23. Saw

24. Night of the Living Dead (90)
25. Stir of Echoes

Suspect's Reviews

Of course I love The Thing, but I don't exactly agree with its placement. It is great, disturbing fun with good practical effects and a bad ass Kurt Russell, but I don't really think it has the "weight" to take the number two spot on a Top 100 horror list.

But oh well, it made the list and it deserves to be on here. So I'll just quote the post from my top 50 horror list, where I had it at #16... on my ballot this time, I had it on #9.

~Top 50 Favorite Horror Films~

17. The Thing (1982)
· · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · ·

I am finally returning from the cold chambers of the underground to pursue my mission to finish this list, after it has been lying in the subzero sceneries for what feels like entire decades. The next name to surface from my kill list is an object only known by the simple and mysterious definition, The Thing. It is said to be crafted by a curious carpenter, and live alongside some kind of humanlike creature, who appears to be even more hairy than the beast itself. The Thing is said to be a very aggressive and loud creature, because of its Western-Italian roots, which you will be able to discover by the way that it sounds. But it would probably be best to stay away from this dangerous beast, though it is a hard thing to do when it is so damn fascinating to watch…

I hope this long-awaited entry to my horror list has been worth waiting for, especially considering it has been such a long time since I posted the last update. John Carpenter’s masterful merging of the science fiction and horror genres is known to be a treasured and well-respected cinematic creation, so I really wouldn’t worry about whether or not it will be a hit between members here. It is, in many ways, a milestone in the movie world, succeeding in creating both bewildering anxiety with haunting minimalism, as well as some gruesome creature feature carnage, using revolutionary practical effects. And in between the blood-pumping excitement and blood-squirting butchery, there are some very confused and panicked characters running around trying to make a sense of it all. It is essentially these characters, which helps balance out the different aspects of the film, and eventually make the movie extremely fascinating and interesting to watch.
You know those days when you just can’t remember a certain actor, director, writer or whatever? Well, I couldn’t remember exactly who did the score for this film, but I did remember it was someone who didn’t usually deliver such a soundtrack for such a genre. So yeah, I thought it was Hans Zimmer for a moment and made a great introduction, which went hand in hand with the fun carpenter reference I made prior to it. Here it is for those who are interested in reading leftover material — The Thing is said to live in a room owned by a German-Japanese man named Han, wherein it makes these almost orchestral sounds. You will be able to locate said room if you turn left by the glacier with the futuristic appearance, and look for a small building with a door sign saying, “Han’s Zimmer”. But remember; enter at your own risk…

Why is it on my list?
At times this is a very disturbing film to watch, but nevertheless you just have such a good time with it. Kurt Russell is perfect in the role of the badass creature killer, while the rest of the cast does a fine job as well. I like the unusual score from master composer, Ennio Morricone, and it goes well with the director’s typical style of synthetic soundtracks, though this is much more calm and haunting, which fit the tone of the film perfectly. Ultimately, I just love this film, and it is always a great time to revisit it.

Unregistered User
Delighted to see The Shining win, fully deserved. Its one of my favourite films of all time. I have several The Shining themed signs etc in my house but unfortunately I haven't been allowed to put up a poster of the twins yet. Kubrick is one of my favourite directors and although I agree that this isn't his masterpiece, he was so talented that it didn't need to be, to end up the best horror film of all time.

I will say that its pretty near the perfect film for me. Jack would probably be my favourite actor and I love watching characters totally lose their minds, especially in isolation, so this was a no brainer. The Overlook Hotel is just as iconic as the film and is almost like a character itself, which Kubrick and his team are credited for. The Corridors, the kitchens, the rooms, the bar, the elevator, the maze, all filmed in lavish symmetry!

Brilliant.

Lastly, many thanks to Nostromo for a great countdown. Well presented and obvious hard work put in.

The Thing Just fantastic. Was my #2.

Figured The Shining would be at least top three - not completely surprised it's #1. Didn't make my list and wouldn't make my top 100 horror movies list.

Seen 77
My list:
1. The Exorcist #5
2. The Thing #2
3. Alien #3
4. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre #8
5. Halloween #6
6. The Haunting #43 #8
7. The Descent #40
8. Sinister #76
9. Return of the Living Dead - A Big Fat DNP
10. Poltergeist #13
11.The Orphanage - DNP
12. The Wailing #69
13. A Nightmare on Elm Street #12
14. [rec] #59
15. Freaks #55
16. The Evil Dead #13
17. Creepshow DNP
18. Scream #18
19. Carrie #45
20. Event Horizon #49
21. Friday the 13th Part 2 DNP
22. Funny Games # 22
23. Martyrs #47
24. The Omen #35
25. Inside DNP

As for my full list, this was my 25 horror films...

A huge bunch of my films made it, but I have marked those that didn't in... uh, BLOOD!

1. The Shining (1980)
2. Rosemary’s Baby (1968)
3. Psycho (1960)
4. Alien (1979)
5. Halloween (1978)
6. The Fly (1986)
7. The Conjuring (2013)
8. Mother! (2017)
9. The Thing (1982)
10. Jacob’s Ladder (1990)
11. The Orphanage (2007)
12. Night of the Living Dead (1968)
13. The Others (2001)
14. The Descent (2005)
15. Oculus (2013)
16. An American Werewolf in London (1981)
17. Get Out (2017)
18. Let the Right One In (2008)
19. Poltergeist (1982)
20. Ginger Snaps (2000)
21. The Blair Witch Project (1999)
22. The Devil’s Backbone (2001)
23. Carrie (1976)
24. New Nightmare (1994)
25. Under the Shadow (2016)

The Listing Page is completed.

Lots of thanks to the participants and those who came along. May be the new Horror hangout thread, if people want it to be. Uncovering some promotion about the Twenty Five movies I chose for my Horror program

The Listing Page is completed.

Lots of thanks to the participants and those who came along. May be the new Horror hangout thread, if people want it to be. Uncovering some promotion about for the Twenty Five movies I chose for my Horror program
Well done to you on this countdown. Excellent effort. Cheers.

I wonder if the list would look any different if so many people didn't put a movie higher than they thought it deserved to help it, lower than it deserved because it didn't need help, or leave one off completely because it had no chance of making it. I would never swap my #3 and #20 because #3 was a lock and #20 needed help. If a movie barely made the countdown because I gave it a bunch of extra points I wouldn't feel good about it. To me it's in the ballpark of dishonesty and what I really just want to see is an actual MoFo top 100. That being said, I don't look negatively towards anyone who does this because I don't think there's any malice and it's not a big deal. It's just moderately irksome to me and I can't help but open my big mouth.

Comparing the new Top 100 with the old one here at the forums, it's clear that this forum has changed a lot. More people have discovered this place and that also means a more broad taste in movies.

I personally prefer the older list, but it's fun to see things being spiced up once in a while...

Good job again on this list, Nostro!