Avengers: Endgame does the unthinkable.

Tools    

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
There's certainly something interesting about the phenomenon of 'event' cinema, with people who don't normally go to the cinema going for these films. My son who is not into superhero movies at all (and didn't even watch Infinity War) insisted on coming to watch Endgame, "just so I know what everyone else is talking about". I saw both Avatar and Titanic with my parents who barely ever go to the cinema. And Force Awakens was a three-generation outing.

My current box office prediction: domestic total 800 million, world total 2.8 billion. Thats about 35% bigger than Infinity War's box office which follows from the fact the last movie has a box office trajectory.

I think it will be a hair's breath com Avatar's gross. However, adjusted for inflation, Avatar's gross is 3.2 billion in current prices, although Avatar was helped by a weak dollar which made international box office more valuable (which is why it's international box office is so much bigger than domestic: in 2010 the dollar was 20% weaker than today so 1 billion dollars in international box office today is equivalent to 1.25 billion in 2010's exchange rates, but accumulated inflation was about 15-20% since 2010 which counters the exchange rate effect).

It is going to be top 5 by next week.

The only uncertainty is whether it gets to surpass Titanic and Avatar's gross. It certainly will be the highest grossing superhero movie of all time.

After only 11 days, it looks as if it has passed Titanic and is only weeks away from beating Avatar:

1 Avatar Fox $2,788.0 $760.5 27.3% $2,027.5 72.7% 2009^

2 Avengers: Endgame BV $2,188.7 $619.7 28.3% $1,569.0 71.7% 2019

3 Titanic Par. $2,187.5 $659.4 30.1% $1,528.1 69.9% 1997^

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Well I was way wrong. $3 billion looking likely

Finally: someone takes a huge dump right in Cameron's breakfast cereal. This is officially the best timeline.
Vice President
358 Exchange Place New York, N.Y. 10099 FAX 212 555 6390 TELEX : () 4534

Welcome to the human race...
As silly as it sounds, part of me is going to miss having Avatar and Titanic on top of the chart. We had an absolute madman make not one but two original* films that held the #1 spot for well over twenty years and they were such unlikely candidates as well - a 3-hour romance set during a real-life disaster and the other a sci-fi epic about giant blue cat people. Regardless of their actual quality or cultural impact, it's going to be a little disappointing to see them lose the top spot to the 22nd film in a franchise that's already generated billions upon billions under the watch of the most notoriously mono-cultural conglomerate out there.

*save your jokes about Avatar, we've heard them all before

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Curious that it is such long films at the top of this list. I guess some people really want to get their money's worth when they fork out for a cinema ticket.

I assume it's overlapping causation: high-grossing films are highly anticipated films, and highly-anticipated films are films people don't mind being long, because they want as much as they can get.

Welcome to the human race...
Depends on your definition of long, I guess. Seems like most blockbusters these days are anything between 120-150 minutes with anything going significantly over 150 being comparatively uncommon.

As silly as it sounds, part of me is going to miss having Avatar and Titanic on top of the chart. We had an absolute madman make not one but two original* films that held the #1 spot for well over twenty years and they were such unlikely candidates as well - a 3-hour romance set during a real-life disaster and the other a sci-fi epic about giant blue cat people. Regardless of their actual quality or cultural impact, it's going to be a little disappointing to see them lose the top spot to the 22nd film in a franchise that's already generated billions upon billions under the watch of the most notoriously mono-cultural conglomerate out there.

*save your jokes about Avatar, we've heard them all before
At least, if we correct for inflation Titanic and Avatar will not be beaten (both made more than 3 billion corrected for US ticket price inflation). Although correcting for inflation, ET made over 2 billion, and both the original Star Wars and Gone with the Wind made about 3 billion.

And at the current rate it is not certain Avatar's 2.788 billion box office will be surpassed. Endgame is going at about 35% more than infinity war in the US, of we project to global gross it will be 2.750 billion, so its run might end up a little lower than Avatar.

And yes, I agree it would be sad to see the 22th entry of most generic style entertainment franchise being the highest grossing movie ever.

ooh....what should have been a blowout might be a horse race...

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/pok...pe=top_critics
2019 is the year when:

the highest grossing movie of all time becomes a comic book movie

the first good Hollywood manga adaptation is released (Alita)

the first good Hollywood videogame adaptation is released (Pikachu (according to audiences))

also, its the first time a female lead comic book movie earns over 1 billion

Disney buys the Alien franchise

Avatar is at 2.7 Billion Dollars.

Avengers: Endgame is at 2.5 Billion Dollars.

Just another week or two and we may have a new record.

It’s very close to call and with Aladdin coming to swallow up some box office next week, it could be very close

Corrected for (North American) ticket price inflation, worldwide grosses, ranking as of

May 23, 2019:

1. Titanic (4.05 billion)
2. Gone With the Wind (3.65 billion)
3. Avatar (3.21 billion)
4. Star Wars (2.70 billion)
5. Avengers: Endgame (2.63 billion)
6. E.T. (2.33 billion)
7. The Sound of Music (2.31 billion)
8. The Ten Commandments (2.21 billion)
9. Star Wars: Force Awakens (2.15 billion)
10. Avengers: Infinity War (2.13 billion)

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I hope not.

It's roughly $70M behind right now.

Suspect's Reviews

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Corrected for (North American) ticket price inflation, worldwide grosses, ranking as of

May 23, 2019:

1. Titanic (4.05 billion)
2. Gone With the Wind (3.65 billion)
3. Avatar (3.21 billion)
4. Star Wars (2.70 billion)
5. Avengers: Endgame (2.63 billion)
6. E.T. (2.33 billion)
7. The Sound of Music (2.31 billion)
8. The Ten Commandments (2.21 billion)
9. Star Wars: Force Awakens (2.15 billion)
10. Avengers: Infinity War (2.13 billion)
Where are you getting these numbers?

Box Office Mojo