Are you addicted to happy endings?

Tools    

I find it really hard for me to start movies with sad endings. I know a few, and I don't really think I can watch them. The first time I ever watched a sad ending was Invasion of the Body Snatchers and I HATED IT. So I started looking up plots for movies on occasion. I forced myself though a couple of sad ending-related movies. Of course, Infinity War and Endgame are not those movies.

I'm not addicted to happy endings, but I certainly prefer them. I'm not much on boo-hoo either, but the worst are endings that leave one up in the air or confused-- usually done by "true artistes"...

In short, my main purpose in watching movies is entertainment; art second.

~Doc

I find it really hard for me to start movies with sad endings. I know a few, and I don't really think I can watch them. The first time I ever watched a sad ending was Invasion of the Body Snatchers and I HATED IT. So I started looking up plots for movies on occasion. I forced myself though a couple of sad ending-related movies. Of course, Infinity War and Endgame are not those movies.
You need to watch more Doris Day movies

I prefer films with happy endings. Isn't that what we all started watching movies for? To be entertained, swept along on a story, and uplifted.

I also appreciate serious films, that make you think and feel - so some of my favorites would include Five Easy Pieces and The China Symdrome . Then there's personal favorites like A Thousand Clowns , or To Kill a Mockingbiird where the ending is not purely happy - but an understandable resolution. Or classics like Gone With The Wind, so rich and robust a story, I can't help but enjoy it.

But for most of the movies I truly cherish and rewatch even tho I know the dialogue by heart - there's a happy end ( and often a happy middle); films like : Moonstruck -The Wizard of Oz - Crazy Rich Asians- Murphy's Romance - The Odd Couple - and all the Indiana Joneses.

I totally agree with @GulfportDoc that the worst films are pretentious poseurs with murky endings. Two fairly recent ones that became inane and meaningless to me were Ladybird with its dismal finale, and the vastly over rated 3 Billboards.

Make me smile and I' m forever a fan.

Btw the absolute worst films jmho are the ones like Castaway (sorry, CR) - where I no longer care how the comatose plot will end- puhhhleeaaaaseeee : just let it end!!!!! I' m really happy when it ends.

Isn't that what we all started watching movies for? To be entertained, swept along on a story, and uplifted.
Not all of us, no. I favored a mix of the uplifting and the heartbreaking and was more interested in the adventure along the way than in the outcome. Though these days if I see the words "heartwarming," "uplifting," or 'touching" in a review of a film I tend to avoid it (unless it's animated, then I may still watch it).

A happy ending is certainly not required for a film to be entertaining and, frankly, if all movies were made that way I probably wouldn't bother to watch movies at all.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I prefer that most of the movies that I watch have happy endings, but I think it depends on the movie. Some movies just work better with a sad ending.

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
It entirely depends on the movie, as some stories warrant an earned happy ending and some warrant a tragic one.

Welcome to the human race...
Yeah, it all depends on whether or not the ending is earned, which is always the gamble you take with watching a movie (and can't always be ascertained just by reading plot summaries or reviews). This even applies to ambiguous endings.

No, my local establishment employs some of the ugliest masseuses on the planet.

Oops, iggy that. Wrong meaning

No, movies don't have to be uplifting to be interesting or even entertaining. Nothing wrong with a damn good miserable story done well imo. Art reflects life and life certainly isn't all hearts and roses.

Not all of us, no. I favored a mix of the uplifting and the heartbreaking and was more interested in the adventure along the way than in the outcome. Though these days if I see the words "heartwarming," "uplifting," or 'touching" in a review of a film I tend to avoid it (unless it's animated, then I may still watch it).

A happy ending is certainly not required for a film to be entertaining and, frankly, if all movies were made that way I probably wouldn't bother to watch movies at all.
I mean that arguably alters the kind of "ending" were talking about doesn't it? you could argue I think that "unhappy endings" in horror films that seek mostly to entertain can be rather gimmicky/arbitrary. If your talking about cinema looking to operate more on emotional response that often a tragic ending is used to heighten that. At the most simplistic level you could argue empathic response is strongest to negative emotions.

I guess I'm addicted to bittersweet endings, like Lorenzo's Oil or Schindler's List, where they manage to be very sad, but also very uplifting simultaneously.

I've had enough emotional disturbances in my life to trust a GOOD movie with a happy ending. I suppose if I wanted to be paranoid and tell myself "well if I get my hopes up in life for a happy ending because I've been relying on happy endings to get me through and feed me then I'll be doomed so, I'd much rather gravitate towards f*cked up movies instead so I can be edgy and be ready for life's terrible offerings" then I guess movies probably wouldn't be a huge priority for me lol.

I like happy endings.

You mean me? Kei's cousin?
Let's just say that with all of my real-life experiences, I don't watch movies to feel like crap. Film has always been an escape for me and even more so inside of the past few years.

But a dark ending, doesn't have to make you feel like crap though, does it? Can't a viewer enjoy a dark ending, and find it exciting and emotionally satisfying?

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Depends on what you mean by "Happy Ending" and what kind of movie it is you're watching

(I love that clip!)