Sports Film Tournament

Tools    

I probably shouldn't say anything, but this has been slowly eating away at me for about a week now.

It seems like I'm the only person watching any movies for this tournament, and it's kind of upsetting. I've always thought of these tournaments as a way to get some of our favorite movies out there for people to watch, but while I've been watching everyone else's nominations, almost nobody has been watching my nominations. I don't expect everyone to like the movies that I nominated, but it would have been nice if a few people at least tried to watch them. Sadly, this has been a very disappointing tournament.
I'll freely admit I'm not watching movies for this tournament gbg, sorry but that's not going to change as sports movies are simply not a type of film I generally have much interest in. As previously stated I only added a few noms to this as they were hardly flooding in at that time. That said I've never viewed these types of tournaments as ones where there is any sort of obligation to watch any of the movies put forward, more like vote if you've seen both in a match or don't if you haven't.

Of course that doesn't mean people can't watch as many as they want in order to be able to turn in more votes, just that they don't have to - personally I think you are amazing for watching as many as you do, especially as some may quite possibly have little or no real interest to you. Sorry that I'm not watching your movies (tbh I don't even know which ones are yours .... or anyone else's for that matter) - it's certainly nothing personal, as I said earlier I'm not watching any of the nominations that I've not already seen for this one.

Let the night air cool you off
I probably shouldn't say anything, but this has been slowly eating away at me for about a week now.
I have my last finals tomorrow. After that, I'll be watching more of these. And I've actually watched a couple of movies for this tournament, but they've been movies that have either already won or I just couldn't vote because I wasn't able to get my hands on the other film.

I'm trying to get my hands on Angels in the Outfield so I can break the tie that it's in.

Round 1, Set 4

Major League (1989) vs Real Steel (2011)

Bull Durham (1988) vs The Wrestler (2008)

Pawn Sacrifice (2014) vs The Rookie (2002)

Any Given Sunday (1999) vs Kingpin (1996)

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Round 1, Set 4
Eight Men Out (1988) vs The Bad News Bears (1976)

Rudy (1993) vs Cool Runnings (1993)

Eddie the Eagle (2015) vs 42 (2013)

Bend It Like Beckham (2002) vs 8 Seconds (1994)

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
@jiraffejustin, NOTE: The matches in GREEN are new votes, the matches in BLUE are previous votes, and the matches in RED are not done yet.

Round 1, Set 4

I haven't seen Cool Runnings (1993) yet.

Bend It Like Beckham was a good movie, but 8 Seconds has been a favorite movie of mine since I saw it in the theater years ago.

I didn't really care for either movie, but I disliked Kingpin more.

I'll freely admit I'm not watching movies for this tournament gbg, sorry but that's not going to change as sports movies are simply not a type of film I generally have much interest in. As previously stated I only added a few noms to this as they were hardly flooding in at that time. That said I've never viewed these types of tournaments as ones where there is any sort of obligation to watch any of the movies put forward, more like vote if you've seen both in a match or don't if you haven't.

Of course that doesn't mean people can't watch as many as they want in order to be able to turn in more votes, just that they don't have to - personally I think you are amazing for watching as many as you do, especially as some may quite possibly have little or no real interest to you. Sorry that I'm not watching your movies (tbh I don't even know which ones are yours .... or anyone else's for that matter) - it's certainly nothing personal, as I said earlier I'm not watching any of the nominations that I've not already seen for this one.
I have my last finals tomorrow. After that, I'll be watching more of these. And I've actually watched a couple of movies for this tournament, but they've been movies that have either already won or I just couldn't vote because I wasn't able to get my hands on the other film.

I'm trying to get my hands on Angels in the Outfield so I can break the tie that it's in.

It's not just that nobody's watching my movies, but also that I seem to be the only one participating in this tournament. It just feels like being in a HoF where everyone else got disqualified, and my feelings about this tournament are just becoming "why bother?"

It's not just that nobody's watching my movies, but also that I seem to be the only one participating in this tournament. It just feels like being in a HoF where everyone else got disqualified, and my feelings about this tournament are just becoming "why bother?"
I'm gonna be honest gbg - I know you're having a difficult time of late and hopefully you know how fond I am of you but I find this comment rather disrespectful to the likes of mark f who has voted in EVERY single match thus far. Anyway, I'll just wish everyone well in this tourney and bow out of the thread now.

I'm gonna be honest gbg - I know you're having a difficult time of late and hopefully you know how fond I am of you but I find this comment rather disrespectful to the likes of mark f who has voted in EVERY single match thus far. Anyway, I'll just wish everyone well in this tourney and bow out of the thread now.

No disrespect was intended towards mark f, and @mark f, I sincerely apologize to you if I offended you in any way.

@Chypmunk, I realize that mark f has voted in every round, but he has also already seen every movie that was nominated. My comments were about the people who nominated movies and then just voted for what they've already seen, and basically just ignored the rest of the movies. Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought the point of nominating movies was to get people who haven't seen them to watch them, (basically I'll watch your nomination if you watch my nomination), but nobody seems to be watching anything for this tournament.

Like chypmunk i'm also very fond of you, but did you just call me a 'nobody' I watched 'your movie' American Flyers for this tournament.

Like chypmunk i'm also very fond of you, but did you just call me a 'nobody' I watched 'your movie' American Flyers for this tournament.

I'm not trying to offend anyone, and I apologize to you, (and anyone else who I may have offended), but my comments are not aimed at anyone specific. They're just meant to be general comments about my feelings, not "digs" at anyone else.

I understand that there's no rule that everyone (or anyone) has to watch all (or even any) of the nominated movies, but I just think it's sad that most people aren't watching the movies that they haven't seen yet. For me, it just defeats the whole purpose of the tournament.

I'm not trying to offend anyone, and I apologize to you, (and anyone else who I may have offended), but my comments are not aimed at anyone specific. They're just meant to be general comments about my feelings, not "digs" at anyone else.

I understand that there's no rule that everyone (or anyone) has to watch all (or even any) of the nominated movies, but I just think it's sad that most people aren't watching the movies that they haven't seen yet. For me, it just defeats the whole purpose of the tournament.
Well this is my first movie tournament ever, and I think I prefer the format/rules/set-up of a Hall of Fame so I understand where you're coming from.
And For me same goes with Song tournaments, unless it's @Chypmunk song tournament format cause that set-up really works/rocks!

Round 1, Set 4

I like The Bad News Bears but haven't seen the other.

Big fan of Major League; may watch Real Steel this weekend.

Haven't seen either.

Haven't seen either.

Love The Wrestler And was disappointed in Bull Durham.

Haven't seen either.

Haven't seen either.

@jiraffejustin, NOTE: The matches in GREEN are new votes, the matches in BLUE are previous votes, and there are no more matches in RED because I'm finished with this set.

Round 1, Set 4

I think it would have been interesting to see the results of a match between Eddie the Eagle (2015) and Cool Runnings (1993).

Bend It Like Beckham was a good movie, but 8 Seconds has been a favorite movie of mine since I saw it in the theater years ago.

I didn't really care for either movie, but I disliked Kingpin more.

Round 1, Set 4

Eddie the Eagle (2015) vs 42 (2013) - NA

Bend It Like Beckham (2002) vs 8 Seconds (1994) - NA

Pawn Sacrifice (2014) vs The Rookie (2002) - NA

Round 1, Set 4

(Seen neither.)

(Not crazy about Major League, but it's fairly entertaining/amusing. Real Steel sucked.)

(Both corny feel-good movies about huge underdogs. Hard not to feel emotional/inspired by Rudy. I like John Candy in Cool Runnings, but the movie's too Disney, especially with its humor.)

(42 is a solid but forgettable biopic. Eddie the Eagle is an underrated/underseen underdog tale. Hugh Jackman and the dude who played Eddie were both great.)

(Bull Durham is good, but The Wrestler is an all-time favorite.)

(Never been able to conjure enough interest to watch Beckham. I think I watched 8 Seconds with my parents a long ass time ago, but I don't remember enough about it to have an opinion.)

(Seen neither.)

(Hated Any Given Sunday. Kingpin is one of my favorite comedies.)

Winners:

The Bad News Bears
Major League
Rudy
Eddie the Eagle
The Rookie
Kingpin

Remaining ties that can still be broken:

The Color of Money (1986) vs Breaking Away (1979)
Rocco and His Brothers (1960) vs The Karate Kid (1984)

I forgot to post here, but I put my vote behind Angels in the Outfield to break that tie.

Round 2, Set 1

The Hustler (1961) vs I, Tonya (2017)

Requiem for a Heavyweight (1962) vs The Champ (1979)

Warrior (2011) vs The Harder They Fall (1956)

Raging Bull (1980) vs Jerry Maguire (1996)

Angels in the Outfield (1951) vs Million Dollar Baby (2004)

A League of Their Own (1992) vs Unforgivable Blackness: The Rise and Fall of Jack Johnson (2004)

Moneyball (2011) vs Rush (2013)

This match is a three-way match, so make sure you've seen all three before voting:

Remember the Titans (2000) vs Bang the Drum Slowly (1973) vs The Set-Up (1949)

Round 2, Set 1

The Hustler (1961) vs I, Tonya (2017) - I watched I, Tonya after it won and I was impressed. I like the unreliable narrator thing it had going. I thought Robbie did a good job. I liked the way all the characters felt seedy, it made figure skating seem dirty, grimy, and nasty. The edge that skate blades can't give you. The Hustler is still on another level though.

A League of Their Own (1992) vs Unforgivable Blackness: The Rise and Fall of Jack Johnson (2004)

This match is a three-way match, so make sure you've seen all three before voting:

Remaining ties that can still be broken:

Rocco and His Brothers (1960) vs The Karate Kid (1984)
I'm sure that I would vote for The Karate Kid (1984), but I can't find Rocco and His Brothers (1960), so I can't vote in this match.

Round 2, Set 1

The Hustler (1961) vs I, Tonya (2017)