Nostalgia Critic

Tools    

A bucket of anxiety
This is the person who inspired my passion for film and film review. Nostalgia Critic (Doug Walking) used to review nostalgic properties in a fun and comedic manner. Today, he reviews films based on popular demand, which for me is okay. I started my own YouTube channel to broadcast my art and taste in film but I can't seem to get the comedy right. I have set my previous works to private and now doubt my upcoming film will be any good either. But I wonder now if my material is literally me or my brand of humor not being the same as the people I show my content to. So do the people here like Nostalgia Critic?

I've not heard of Nostalgia Critic until this thread. Now that I've heard of him, I'll forget about him. Dosen't sound like anything I'm interested in watching, but if he has a fan base then I guess people like him.

Welcome to the human race...
I made it maybe five minutes into his video for Mad Max: Fury Road before giving up on it and haven't watched anything else of his since. My general impression is that I'm not missing much (especially in light of his recent controversies).

A bucket of anxiety
I meant without the context of the controversy. I meant in terms of content. Although I probably should've recommended his old content before he could afford a good camera, that's the critic that inspired me, not that I think you'd like it any better because it's still more comedic purposes I just find them more tolerable. All the other YouTubers I watch have a more serious tone to their work but also tell jokes and would not which I think is neat because movies are a fun subject. I've been trying to follow everyone's advice here, but it's been me fighting myself in my scripts...how old are you guys if you don't mind me asking?

Speaking from my personal experience as a youtube viewer I can usually tell when someone is putting it on and it's a complete turn off. Just do what comes naturally for you and people will gravitate toward that. Don't overthink it.

A bucket of anxiety
Just do what comes naturally for you and people will gravitate toward that. Don't overthink it.
I tried to be me but I've been told it's unbearable to watch so I've basically given up at this point. I'm starting to feel that I am just not a likable person. My other guess is an age or audience type barrier.

I tried to be me but I've been told it's unbearable to watch so I've basically given up at this point. I'm starting to feel that I am just not a likable person. My other guess is an age or audience type barrier.
YouTube success takes a lot of time, a lot of work, and a not insignificant amount of luck. You want to find an audience? Stop deleting your videos. People aren't going to find you if your content keeps disappearing. Make new videos, upload them consistently, and leave them up. Have patience.

I think it's great that you want to make a movie, but I also think you're jumping into it too soon. You should build an audience first. Work on your craft. Otherwise you're going to put a lot of work into something that isn't going to pay off. Right now, you have 30 subscribers and - of the whole 5 videos that you haven't deleted (yet) - the most views you've gotten on a single video is 10.

Is Posters going to be a feature length film? How many people do you think will watch it? You don't seem to handle criticism of your work very well. If Posters doesn't get many views or if people seem to have a negative reaction to it, is it going to disappear like your other videos? I can speak only for myself, but I sure as hell wouldn't sit through a feature film from a YouTuber without having a pretty good selection of shorter videos from them to sample first.

A bucket of anxiety
Is Posters going to be a feature length film? How many people do you think will watch it? You don't seem to handle criticism of your work very well. If Posters doesn't get many views or if people seem to have a negative reaction to it, is it going to disappear like your other videos? I can speak only for myself, but I sure as hell wouldn't sit through a feature film from a YouTuber without having a pretty good selection of shorter videos from them to sample first.
I don't expect much from Posters, we're just finishing because we already started on it. I took my videos down in fear they would discourage people from seeing it, all 10 of them. I don't mean to take criticism so harshly I just want to do well. I know I can't please everyone but I've pleased no one.

Vicky gave some good advice there, you need to put in the work and have patience. Yeah, not everyone's gonna like it and that's to be expected, but it'll make those that do feel all the more satisfying knowing they appreciate something that's entirely you. But hey, if you want to reinvent yourself go for it, if it makes you happy. That should be an important factor, no? Something you love doing shouldn't make you feel like ****.