Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

_____ is the most important thing in my life…

Avengers: Endgame (2019)

Here's to Benioff and Weiss landing their plane this well.

Broken Blossoms [aka Broken Blossoms Or The Yellow Man And The Girl] (D. W. Griffith, 1919)

VERY early Anthony LaPaglia piece is a little hammy at times but cinematically a very well told tale

Rated 10/10
Starcast: Lara Rossi, Vladimir Burlakov, Kit Dale, Tom Green, Julia Dietze
Director: Timo Vuorensola

Welcome to the human race...
John Wick -

who would have thought putting Keanu in black and giving him a gun would make for a good movie

Doctor Strange
(2016)
3.5/5
I watched this with my friends last night, that watched "Avengers: Infinity War" the week before. I figured this would be a good origin story of one Avenger at least. They enjoyed it.

Knocked Up (Judd Apatow, 2007)

Fairly laboured in places, which I suppose is apropos

You mean me? Kei's cousin?
Escaflowne (2000) - First Time via FunimationNow

Went into this not entirely sure what to expect and it blew me away. The world it creates is so very fascinating and so very threatening. The animation is amazing. I love the old-school cel animation style used here. It's hard to believe an anime from 2000 is this grainy (almost as much as Akira) when it seems like everything after 1995 is so focused on being shiny. But you know what? It's a perfect match for the film's gritty tone, so I'm not complaining. In fact, I wish more anime used this style even today. Yoko Kanno, of Cowboy Bebop fame, gives us another pitch-perfect musical score here. The story is amazing, too, and it's also very well-paced, the high stakes well-defined within its 100-minute runtime. Being able to care what happens to the characters doesn't hurt, either. Okay, so about the dub now. There's actually two and as with the two Akira dubs, different fans hold different opinions. There's the dub Ocean produced in 2004 and the one Funimation produced in 2016. I can't comment on the Ocean dub without having heard it, though it has some good voice actors in its roster like Ukyo Kuonji (and Sango) herself Kelly Sheridan as Hitomi, Naraku (and Happosai) himself Paul Dobson as Folken and girl-type Ranma herself Venus Terzo as a supporting character named Millerna, but the Funimation dub is flawless from top to bottom. Haruhi Fujioka (and Maya Ibuki) herself Caitlin Glass is perfect as Hitomi Kanzaki, the depressed teen who feels like simply fading away until she ends up in Gaea, a world that sits beneath the Earth and the Moon, which is to say in way over her head when people start calling her the wind goddess. Granted, I'm biased since Glass is one of my favorite voice actors. Fun fact: in Japanese, Hitomi is voiced by Maaya Sakamoto (think she comes from my paternal grandmother's family) who would later voice Haruhi Fujioka in Ouran High School Host Club. Aaron Dismuke is also excellent as Van, the king without a people to lead. Tamaki Suoh himself Vic Mignogna isn't the first I'd think of as Van's insane brother Folken, but he pulls it off a lot better than I thought he would, especially since Tamaki doesn't have a single evil bone in his body. The rest of the cast is also excellent and the dub script is completely natural. It's also pretty cool that they left the villagers' chants in Japanese rather than dubbing them. Overall, considering the dub coupled with a fine HD transfer, Funimation couldn't have done better by Escaflowne. The movie deserves the treatment they gave it, too, and if it turned out this good, I can hardly wait to check out The Vision of Escaflowne the TV series this is an alternate version of and which Funimation also redubbed and presented uncut in English for the first time. Some have criticized the film for the changes it makes, notably the tone and some changes to the character designs, apparently, but I don't see why the two can't coexist as companion pieces. After all, seeing this one made me want to check out the original show so that has to count for something. I might not know exactly what I'll think of the show just yet, though I get the feeling I might end up enjoying it nearly as much, but I think I'll definitely be coming back to the movie many times in the future.

A Prayer Before Dawn (2017) Jean-Stéphane Sauvaire

A British boxer performing in Thailand is arrested for possession of drugs. In prison, he fond a difficult environment and eventually there religion, Muay Thai. If you understand what Muay Thai means for the people in Thailand you will probably enjoy this movie. Is based on true story, is filmed with real prisoners, in a real prison. For those who follow Vice, you've probably see this documentary, some of the fighters there appear in this movie.

Welcome to the human race...
Léon -

I think I'm officially done with Luc Besson now.

(also this movie's reputation as an action classic is grossly overstated, there's like two decent scenes across 2+ hours)

Battleship Potemkin (Sergei M. Eisenstein, 1925)

Quite revolting

The Lady Vanishes (1938)

Probably my 3rd or 4th re-watch, It's Hitchcock's next-to-last film before relocating from England to Hollywood. It's a major mystery/thriller in which Hitch has pulled together elements that would make him one of the best of all time. Some of the techniques would appear several times in his ensuing films, such as the character who is in peril between two passing trains-- which he used later in 1943's Shadow of a Doubt. And of course there is the seemingly inexplicable mystery disappearance.

Margaret Lockwood stars in a delightful role as a duped tourist caught up in international intrigue. Michael Redgrave has his first role in a motion picture, fresh from veteran stage work. And the fascinating Dame May Whitty turns in an enjoyable performance as Miss Froy, the "vanishing lady".

The film was a hit in '38, and had I seen it at the time it would have been a 9/10. Contemporary rating: 7/10.

~Doc
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	imageedit_1_5565822172.png
Views:	391
Size:	284.3 KB
ID:	54041  

My weekend re-watches:

Tom Hanks really brings the funny here, making the movie seem a lot better than it really is...love when the staircase collapses and when Walter gets stuck in that carpet in the hole.

This movie is terribly dated but still packs an emotional wollop thanks to Friedkin's intense direction and some excellent performances. This movie was pre-AIDS and pre-technology, which is one reason I think this film is ripe for a remake. With the advent of cell phones and smart tablets, it would be really interesting to see how the "telephone game" would play today.

[rating]3.5[/Rating}

MGM really scored here, this film seems to get better with each viewing.

Ben Stiller's masterpiece...this brilliant lampoon of Apocolypse Now and Hearts of Darkness is brilliantly mounted and caustically funny, featuring Oscar-worthy performances from Robert Downey Jr., Tom Cruise, Matthew McConaughey, and Nick Nolte...everything works here. Upping my original rating.