MoFo Top 100 Horror Movies: The List

→ in
Tools    

Well I do believe my #18 won’t be making it then, I had 11 left and I think all of them have a decent chance except that one.

Yahoo! another from my list made it I had Eraserhead at #5

Eraserhead (1977)

Director: David Lynch
Writer: David Lynch
Cast: Jack Nance, Charlotte Stewart, Allen Joseph
Genre: Surrealistic Horror

The unrequited consequences of an unwanted pregnancy...David Lynch imparts a claustrophobic feeling of utter hopelessness as the helpless couple are trapped by the horrors of parenthood...which is thrust upon them in a most unexpected manner.

The unprepared couple are ill equipped to live in the real world, instead they sequester themselves into their own personal solitary confinement and grow stranger by the minute.

Through the expert control of subdued and focused lighting, combined with underexposing black & white film stock, Lynch creates layers of atmosphere that transforms Eraserhead from a mere movie to a film that is on par with the expressionistic painter, Edvard Munch.

With visions of things that might be...he sees a young woman dancing on a stage when he blankly stares at the sweltering radiator...her future existences hangs in balance, with his decision. She's the daughter he can choose to have, or throw away.

This young woman, like most of us, only wants to be accepted for who she is. Her heart is light and she loves her father and needs but one thing, his love in return. But can he give it?

I'm impressed with this film...It's a major accomplishment for a young director's first feature length film...I could write a novel about this movie...as there's a lot to take in.

The score which was flat out brilliant it did much for creating tension, seemingly out of thin air. The actors too, while not having many lines really imparted a sense of foreboding doom just by the looks on their faces.

++

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Eraserhead. What a film that was. I had to watch it in college.

Didn't make my list, but I respect the hell out of it.

Suspect's Reviews

A system of cells interlinked
Love Eraserhead and David Lynch in general. Never considered it for my horror list, though. Not sure why...

Haven't watched a Lynch film in ages but I've seen most of them at some point. With Eraserhead it must be at least 20 years and I don't have a clear opinion of it at the moment. In general I'm not that much into Lynch but this is one of the few I'm actually going to rewatch at some point.

Seen: 79/90

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I watched Eraserhead a while back for a HoF or Movie Tournament here. I didn't understand most of it, but as I recall, I didn't care much for it either.

4. The Wicker Man (#37)
5. Eraserhead (#11)

7. Possession (#33)
8. A Nightmare on Elm Street (#12)

11. Ringu (#31)
12. Bram Stoker's Dracula (#50)
13. Onibaba (#73)

19. Poltergeist (#15)
20. The Omen (#35)
21. The Birds (#41)
22. Dawn of the Dead (#20)
23 .Night of the Living Dead (#17)
24. Eyes Without A Face (#46)
25. Sveto mesto (1 pointers list)
A normal man? For me, a normal man is one who turns his head to see a beautiful woman's bottom. The point is not just to turn your head. There are five or six reasons. And he is glad to find people who are like him, his equals. That's why he likes crowded beaches, football, the bar downtown...

Wow. 'Saw' got a pretty nice ranking. Didn't think people liked that movie. I had a blast seeing it in the theater. Doesn't really hold up for me these days, though, but it did make an impression on me.

Very interesting rankings. Looking forward to seeing what makes the top 10.

I can think of what seven of the top 10 will be, but I'm blanking on what the other three will be. Anybody who's more attuned to the horror genre want to post what they think will make the top ten... I know I'll have three, which is fewer than normal for me, and I can guarantee I won't have the #1 movies, which I figure is a battle between two particular films.

Anyone paying attention to the voters for each entry will see that I had A Nightmare On Elm Street at #1 on my list. Like a few other horror films I included, it's on my 100. Are there horror films I prefer as films on my 100? Yes. Are there horror films better at being horror films on my 100? Hell no. And, for me, that's what the top of this list was about. NOES was a huge part of my life from the age of about 12, with each subsequent film building on my fandom. I can still remember seeing it for the first time (friends coming over and telling me they'd convinced their stepdad to hire it from the shop. I didn't believe them because it took years for films to make it to video back then and this was only a few months later. I was wrong. It was brilliant.) Sat in the dark, on the floor of their living room on a Saturday night, I still remember the horror of Tina being dragged around that room. Still remember the weirdness of a dead Tina being dragged through the hallways in a body bag. Still remember the combination of WTF and Cooooooool of a bed vomiting blood all over a ceiling and that final showdown between Nancy and Freddy. The whole thing is burned into my mind like the burn on Nancy's arm and when I watch it, even though it does look and feel very dated, it's those memories and feelings I access as I watch old friends being stalked and sliced by an old friend.

I never had that attachment to the Friday series or the Halloween series. I never thought Jason or Michael were cool. Sacrilege to their fans, I know, but lumbering, silent hacking figures just don't worry me. It's like comparing The Mummy to Dracula. The Mummy is there to facilitate the horror. Dracula is a character. Freddy is a character and, while he almost became an 80's action hero in later films (which I still loved) in this one he's pure human evil. A murderous paedophile whose hatred continues beyond the grave because of his own murder by his victims parents.

That's some ****ed up ****.

I remember an interview with Robert Englund (I think it was on set so maybe part of a EPK for #4 or #5?) where he was asked why the Nightmare series was so frightening? His reply was that everyone can relate to it. Not everyone goes to summer camp, but everyone has a bad dream.

And my bad dream is today, where I see Eraserhead higher than A Nightmare On Elm Street in this 100. You people suck.

Welcome to the human race...
Eraserhead was my #8. Lynch is excellent at crafting horrifying individual moments for films where any horror classification is...debatable (the diner scene from Mulholland Drive, anyone?), so seeing him deliver on that same consistently horrifying basis for an entire feature (and his debut feature at that) is something truly remarkable. It's even more remarkable that it managed to rank this highly (and annoying honeykid is just a bonus, as if the real Nightmare isn't the fact that that nonsense outranked so many films I actually like).

A system of cells interlinked
Eraserhead was my #8. Lynch is excellent at crafting horrifying individual moments for films where any horror classification is...debatable (the diner scene from Mulholland Drive, anyone?)
Good call here. As a huge fan of this film, I have seen this scene many, many times, and it still fills me with dread. It all comes down to the sound mixing, unsteady camera, and deadpan acting that builds to the crescendo behind the diner. On paper, no one would ever think they were reading through a scene that is horrifying.